GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Forge catch can (older style) questions

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
My wife got me a CC and gave it to me early. It's the older style forge cc with the Africa plate, and the elbow on top of the plate. That parts great. However, forge has a new design that uses the OEM pcv, so now I'm wondering if that is something I should swap out, or if my current one should be ok. I have just seen a few issues where people consumed a lot of oil with the old style.

Any info or personal experience?

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Never was a fan of forges original design because silicone hoses aren't the best idea plus there is better designed african plates out there.

11gti718

Ready to race!
I’m currently running a forge catch can setup you described. Not sure if it matters but i’ve been using it from stock to ko4. Never had any issues with it consuming large amount of oil. One thing I can say is that it does work. The stuff that comes out of the can is crazy.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I appreciate the comments, anything that anyone else can chime in on would be great. Hyde? Any info? I know you had one a long time ago.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I appreciate the comments, anything that anyone else can chime in on would be great. Hyde? Any info? I know you had one a long time ago.

I like ECS's design the best in terms of retaining the factory PCV and factory breather tube assembly to the turbo inlet. Their can baffle is a much better design as it will not become blocked when blowby in the can freezes. The only thing I do not like and agree with is the plug which blocks off the front of the PCV (ECS or any other CC), I still run the vacuum line from the front of the PCV to my Audi all-road manifold. The stock PCV is designed to work with vacuum from the intake manifold. Plugging that with any aftermarket catch can block off will elevate crankcase pressures at idle or off throttle if using the stock PCV.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I like ECS's design the best in terms of retaining the factory PCV and factory breather tube assembly to the turbo inlet. Their can baffle is a much better design as it will not become blocked when blowby in the can freezes. The only thing I do not like and agree with is the plug which blocks off the front of the PCV (ECS or any other CC), I still run the vacuum line from the front of the PCV to my Audi all-road manifold. The stock PCV is designed to work with vacuum from the intake manifold. Plugging that with any aftermarket catch can block off will elevate crankcase pressures at idle or off throttle if using the stock PCV.

Did you have the older style with the single hose and silicone hoses on your forge setup? The pics don't work anymore

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
if I remember correctly you complained alot about the hose length on the intake side not being long enough on the ecs catch. The ecs catch can is alright I had one but it fit like shit on my uni intake. I prefer the apr catch can which is what I have now works great with my IE intake. Apr's is better designed then ecs's can in my opinion.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
if I remember correctly you complained alot about the hose length on the intake side not being long enough on the ecs catch. The ecs catch can is alright I had one but it fit like shit on my uni intake. I prefer the apr catch can which is what I have now works great with my IE intake. Apr's is better designed then ecs's can in my opinion.

Yes I did, as they designed the hose length for an OE turbo inlet pipe diameter (stock intake). Like I explained in that thread, the hose is too short for any aftermarket intake pipe, the hose is too short to wrap around the intake completely. I built my own custom Aeroquip hoses to properly route everything.

The APR kit is nice, but they block off the front port in the PCV plate (to the intake manifold), removing the vacuum source needed to correctly operate the stock PCV in an idle or off throttle state. I've seen countless APR CC cars report smoke out the tailpipe, even a big turbo user with my same turbo kit. Elevated crankcase pressures is not good.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Yes I did, as they designed the hose length for an OE turbo inlet pipe diameter (stock intake). Like I explained in that thread, the hose is too short for any aftermarket intake pipe, the hose is too short to wrap around the intake completely. I built my own custom Aeroquip hoses to properly route everything.

The APR kit is nice, but they block off the front port in the PCV plate (to the intake manifold), removing the vacuum source needed to correctly operate the stock PCV in an idle or off throttle state. I've seen countless APR CC cars report smoke out the tailpipe, even a big turbo user with my same turbo kit. Elevated crankcase pressures is not good.
Hmm I haven't had the white smoke come out of my tail pipes with aprs catch can but I did have that problem with ecs's can.

tkelly0727

Ready to race!

Thank you hyde, i had no idea that it wasn’t good to cap off the vacuum source that’s needed, which is why i installed the stock vacuum hose from the PCV to the intake manifold. Oddly enough reason why i got a catch can was because I thought my PCV was falling, bought the car at 78k and now at 103k. No idea if the PCV was every replaced. I was also experiencing rpm dropping to 550, So I replaced it with a new one and installed a catch can and it seamed to got better. But after i installed the vacuum hose back on it looks like it cured the problem *knock on wood*