GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Tuning Discussion

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Alright guys, I dont normally start threads asking a lot of questions, but I'm stepping into unfamiliar territory. Obviously, the concept behind DSG tuning great and has offerered some wonderful results, but to what extent?

Companies that I've seen that offer:
1) Unitronic
2) HPA
3) Revo
4) GIAC

I know nothing about this tuning except for some reviews here and there. I dont really even know much about price, but here's my logic: With being K04 now, the DSG is obviously within a different realm of operating limits. D Mode is slightly less refined, but M-Mode and S-Mode are still very very awesome. I want to refine D mode for wife driving capability and for those moments when I want to just chillax and drive like a normal person.

One complaint I have with D mode right now is upon mild pedal acceleartion. Boost climbs slowly (as expected) but seems to all the sudden jump up and down 10psi and acceleration is peaky. It seems like the N75 doesnt really know what it wants to do. If I give it light pedal input (~5psi) boost stays constant and acceleartion is linear. I normally overcome this by driving in Manual mode a lot of times, but some mornings I have too much going on or I'm on the phone. I'll see what I can do to log this instance.....Anyone else have this issue?

But back to the topic: I've read two reviews on Unitronic DSG tuning. Who else has had experience?

Please bring good discussion to the table.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
The DSG plays a large role in the ECU fuel/boost requests in these cars, as well as applying added limits to torque, RPMs and several other driving parameters. That may be partly why your having peaky issues.

DSG software truly recreates the entire driving experience for any DSG equipped car; I can't recommend any specific company but it is definitely somthing you need to get to fully enjoy the power you have now. :thumbsup:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
The DSG plays a large role in the ECU fuel/boost requests in these cars, as well as applying added limits to torque, RPMs and several other driving parameters. That may be partly why your having peaky issues.

DSG software truly recreates the entire driving experience for any DSG equipped car; I can't recommend any specific company but it is definitely somthing you need to get to fully enjoy the power you have now. :thumbsup:

I'm definitely on board with getting it, but which company gets my money is a guessing game at this point.

I've narrowed it down to Uni, HPA, and GIAC.

Saabstory

Why, if I may ask? I've never personally tried REVO's DSG software but i know several people who have it and love it?

I also know that REVO has tested their software for compatibility with APR; don't think any of the others do that.

Wonder why APR doesn't have a DSG software? :iono:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Why, if I may ask? I've never personally tried REVO's DSG software but i know several people who have it and love it?

I also know that REVO has tested their software for compatibility with APR; don't think any of the others do that.

Based off of the general google search I did, I didnt have many hits on Revo. I'll reassess

Wonder why APR doesn't have a DSG software? :iono:

I THINK they used HPA at one point, not sure and I cannot confirm that yet.

GIAC has DSG software?

Yep:
http://www.google.com/search?q=GIAC...rosoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&safe=active

Gauge85

Ready to race!
I have been thinking about doing this for a bit too as my eventual goal is a K04 build. I wondered about trans longevity. Does the more aggressive shifting, etc adversely affect transmission life? I am thinking this is a hard question to answer since most people that I have seen with the tune on here don't have a ton of miles on it. Is a more aggressive service schedule required?

Saabstory

Based off of the general google search I did, I didnt have many hits on Revo. I'll reassess

Cool; I was just curious. Good luck in your search, I'm sure whatever one you get you'll love it.

DSG reflash really transforms the car :thumbup:

Saabstory

I have been thinking about doing this for a bit too as my eventual goal is a K04 build. I wondered about trans longevity. Does the more aggressive shifting, etc adversely affect transmission life? I am thinking this is a hard question to answer since most people that I have seen with the tune on here don't have a ton of miles on it. Is a more aggressive service schedule required?

More agressive servicing is highly recommended with basically any power increasing mod, so definitely on the DSG as well :thumbsup:

With a simple reflash I'd say increase to every 30K or so; but with K04 power added to it as well you may want to go to every 20k. Also depends on what you see after that first change; if everything looks perfect still then adjust your times accordingly.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Just FYI (in case you didn't know) but NGP is even more local to you in Lorton, and does REVO among others :thumbsup:

I know about NGP, they did my K04 install. However, I didn't know NGP did REVO I thought they were an APR shop. :iono:

crew219

Banned
HPA, you saw my post on another forum...

Saabstory

I know about NGP, they did my K04 install. However, I didn't know NGP did REVO I thought they were an APR shop. :iono:

They do both :w00t: I got an APR trial tune there, and talked to them about REVO DSG software but never did it. They recommended it highly