GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire Pressure?

Scotty2Hotty

Go Kart Champion
Sonny, I was wondering about my winter tires. I have 205 55 16s on right now...

The door label in my 2011 says the 205 55 16 spare should be at 38 psi. I'm curious, what is the spec for a Golf running four 16" wheels? Still 38 psi?

mkviken

Ready to race!
MKVI, US spec for 225-40-18 is 38 PSI front and back. Personally I use the tire contact patch as my guide when establishing my tire pressure for all of my vehicles. With 60% of the weight in the front and 40% in the rear, it doesn't make much sense running the same pressure front and back.

I monitor where the tire is running/wearing at the corner, where the tread surface wraps around to the sidewall. AT 38/38 the rear tires are not in full contact with the road. VW selects 38/38 to insure proper inflation with 4 adults and a trunk/hatch full of luggage. I don't know about you but 98% of the time I'm alone with 5-15lbs of cargo.

All that being said I run about 39-40PSI in the front and 35-36 in the rear.

38psi is for 1 or 2 occupants only with no luggage. 4 passengers and luggage is 41 psi or so

also if you run so little pressure in the rear and more in the front the car will understeer ALOT as the rear tyres will heat up quicker giving the rear more grip than the front.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
i used to be on 35~38PSI and I had pretty bad camber wear on the front (18s Sports Contact 2) and now i raised it to around 40 and the tire is starting to even back out.

Not the correct solution for your issue. Get an alignment (your toe may be out, or you're lowered excessively), rotate tires every 5K (most important for even wear) and run at, or close to, recommended pressures.

Your tires will have a long and happy life.