GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Maskari_GTI's Build Thread .. K04 INSIDE!

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally starting my build thread. The car has been through a lot until it got to this stage. It is challenging to mod cars from where I come from! Paying for shipping almost the same amount of money I pay for the mod itself isn't a pleasant thing I can tell you all!

My last ride was a MK4 GTI (2.3 V5 here in the gulf region). The car was heavily moded especially suspension wise. I loved it to bits but then had to let it go for the MK6 GTI.

I bought my MK6 in 28th October '12 and straight away fell in love with it :thumbup:

Current look:

Then, not after so long, the mod bug got into me and here it started all ...

Performance:
• CTS K04 Turbo Kit
• Unitronic Stage 2+
• Aquamist HFS-4
• Unitronic Cold Air Intake
• Milltek Sport TBE (Decat + Non resonated)
• APR FMIC
• Neuspeed Turbo Outlet Pipe
• Revision D OEM Diverter valve & GFB DV+
• R8 Coilpacks
• IE TSI Catch-can/PCV kit.

Suspension/wheels:
• KW Variant 3 Coilovers
• OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 on Michelin Pilot Sport 3
• Porsche Cayenne 18z BBK with GL450 350mm rotors
• H&R Sway bars - 26mm/22mm

Exterior:
• OEM Bi-Xenon headlights
• OEM LED / Golf R tail lights
• Colour matched lower grill insert
• Ed's Golf R side skirts
• Gloss black black mirror caps
• Lamin-X Yellow fogs
• CF Rear roof spoiler.

Interior:
• OEM RNS-510 Sat Nav
• OEM Euro light switch
• OEM Euro cup holder
• OEM Monster Mats
• OEM Armrest
• OEM Cargo blocks

Other:
• ECS Tuning hatch pop kit

Wish list / to do list:

• White interior LED's
• Alcantara door cards

Pics:

Check out the link please.

Maskari_GTI's Underground Parking Photoshoot

Thanks

23rd August 2012

Colour matched the front bumper valance and painted the rear diffuser + side mirrors in gloss black

The finishing isn't 100% spot on. But that's the quality of body shops in my area unfortunately :(

1st September 2012

Installed APR FMIC and the Milltek TBE. Unfortunately no pics were taken for both installs. I faced a problem with the garage that they almost broke my turbo by fitting the DP wrongly!

This is how it looked when I went back to them the second day. It used to make a strong creaking sound when accelerating. I had to let them remove the DP and re-install it again.

Here is a video I took after the exhaust install:

9th September 2012

Got a Stage II tune but unfortunately had few problems that couldn't be solved. Some forum members suggested to add a spacer to my Carbonio intake so i gave it ago.

The hesitation was somehow reduced, but still I wasn't happy so I revert back to stock not after so long.

12th September 2012

Test fitted my Oettinger RE's that I had on my MK4 but ...

I didn't like the new looks so went back to stock :D

12th October 2012

Installed the Neuspeed Hi-flow discharge pipe. It was good doing this my self as I managed to spot the air leak I had. It was from a missing O-Ring seal. Thanks to the mechanic who installed my FMIC :mad: :mad:

I could tell the improved throttle response at an instant after installing this. Another great mod for the car :w00t:

1st December 2012

Installed the CTS K04 turbo and was like .. :D :D :D :D :D . Wheel spin is like crazy though! I can't floor it when i'm at 60 km/h or below! I'm surprised with the power the car delivers and the cars I can easily kill!

It felt like a totally new car. The power it has is insane! I went back for a Unitronic software despite the problems i had when i was Stage 2.

20th February 2013
I had to go to the dealer and see that my parts are actually being sent to Germany for a warranty claim.

15th March 2013

A quick update on my DSG issue, will be at the dealers tomorrow and hopefully get my car back on Sunday (fingers crossed).

And yea, I made this video of me against a Revo tuned K04 a couple of days before my DSG issue. It's in the MK6 vs .... section. I hope you enjoy it.

Unitronic K04 vs Revo K04

19th March 2013

FINALLY!!! I got my car back after so so sooooo long

Now with a new clutch and mechatronic the car feels so much smoother. I don't know if I want to tune my DSG again! Not saying that it was the tune which caused the mechatronic become defective, but I was lucky to get it covered under warranty this tim. I've seen the bill and the mechatronic it self costs $4100!

22nd March 2013

Got my self new front tires. Went for Nitto NT05. They are a biiiiit noisier than the previous ones (Bridgestone Potenza) but the way it grips is awesome!

I also managed to drive the car for a constant 400KM with various driving style to see how the DSG acts. So far everything seems alright and the shifting is smooth. The only thing I noticed is when I give it a partial throttle, the car acts up weirdly. Its hesitates and feels slow then all of the sudden the boost goes up and the car suddenly moves fast! I don't know if that makes sense but yea...I keep getting this error code so could it be the reason of this weird hesitation?

008342 - Post-Catalyst Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Correction; Bank 1
P2096 - 000 - Too Lean - MIL ON

24th May 2013

Picked up these today :D

8th June 2013

Fitted the OZ Ultraleggera's and I got to say handling is noticeably better. I never even thought that unsprung weight reduction can make such a different. I didn't get the chance to weight the Ultra's to compare them against the stock ones, but damn those dettroits are heavy!
Wrapped them on Michelin Pilot Sport 3 and that helped me reducing wheel spin on low speeds. HAPPY DAYS!! :thumbsup:

Pics to follow either today or tomorrow.

20 June 2013

3rd October 2013

Installing this soon and going to paint the stripes in a golden colour. I really hope that it will turn up to be a good choice.

The JOM grill isn't the best when it comes to finishing and build quality. It looks good but feels so easy to break so even taking it out of the box needs to be done with care. Anyways, I got it now and I'm glad that it comes with the filler notch.

14th October 2013

New look, badgeless grill with golden stripes.

A shot from the side ..

14th October 2013

Replaced my spark plugs today after 15,000 KMs. I had the 7B's and replaced them with 7Q's. Checked the gap and had to re-gap to 0.028".

3rd November 2013

I was facing a boost problem recently and couldn't diagnose. I've checked the pipes but didn't check the DV (I've got the OEM D revision). All seemed alright and then I started to get pissed off :mad0259: One problem was a leaking down pipe and now it's solved but still, the car felt weak and chocked!

So yesterday I installed the GFB DV+ and I've noticed a big improvement in boost and throttle response. I forgot to take a before and after video. I used to loose boost even though I keep pressure on the pedal. But now, for the first time since I got the K04 on my car I hold boost @23-25PSI until it gets to redline then drops to 19PSI. I can't really tell if its the GFB or I had a faulty DV initially.

6th November 2013

I've received my Unitronic CAI and went ahead for the install. I faced a problem and couldn't complete the install. The turbocharger inlet connection is impossible :( The pipe sits too high that it touches the firewall which results in misalignment on the remaining part of the intake. I contacted John@Unitronic and he suggested that I get the K04 coupler they have on their DV Relocation kit. I've placed an order and waiting for it to arrive.

It has been a while since I last updated my thread :D

Anyways, the intake is on and the car is running much more better now than it was with the Carbonio. I also noticed that the Carbonio Stage 2 pipe was blocking the DV bung in the K04 coupler, hence my car's weird behaviour most of the times. I also like how the intake sounds now :thumbsup:

Before

After

15th March 2014

Started to smell meth in the cabin so thought of opening up the tank enclosure and found this!

The tubing compression from the pump inlet side wasn't tight enough. So, that problem is solved. The swivel elbow from the outlet side is gone! Placed an order through my tuner and a replacement part shall be available in 10 days time or so. For the time being, I'll look for a temporary solution otherwise drain the whole tank until I get everything sorted out.

18th March 2014

Installed BSH Engine, gearbox and pendulum mounts today. Car vibrates like crazy especially at idle and from 0-10mph and there's a strange wining sound at high speeds, not sure if its normal. That doesn't really bother me much as it feels great performance wise. DSG shifts feels a bit faster and there's minimal engine and gearbox movement when downshifting.

In general, I'm satisfied with this upgrade :thumbsup:

View attachment 39394

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23rd March 2014

Installed the BSH Oil Catch Can and faced the following:
-I couldn't install the connector into the intake port. Connector is a bit bigger in diameter to my intake's port (Unitronic CAI)
- Boost gauge isn't working (I guess that I need to get a new boost tap)

This is my temporary solution for now.

View attachment 39462

Also, got these and soooo ready for the install :D :D

View attachment 39461

7th June 2014

I finally installed my BBK. It took quite a long time to get this all right. But it was worth waiting for.

Big big thanks to @GTI_Likeurmom and @U-20T for their help in this project. I bothered @GTI_Likeurmom a lot though and he's the most calm and patient member I've ever contacted :D

Last edited:

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
23rd August 2012

Colour matched the front bumper valance and painted the rear diffuser + side mirrors in gloss black

The finishing isn't 100% spot on. But that's the quality of body shops in my area unfortunately :(

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
1st September 2012

Installed APR FMIC and the Milltek TBE. Unfortunately no pics were taken for both installs. I faced a problem with the garage that they almost broke my turbo by fitting the DP wrongly!

This is how it looked when I went back to them the second day. It used to make a strong creaking sound when accelerating. I had to let them remove the DP and re-install it again.

Here is a video I took after the exhaust install:

Last edited:

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
9th September 2012

Got a Stage II tune but unfortunately had few problems that couldn't be solved. Some forum members suggested to add a spacer to my Carbonio intake so i gave it ago.

The hesitation was somehow reduced, but still I wasn't happy so I revert back to stock not after so long.

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
12th September 2012

Test fitted my Oettinger RE's that I had on my MK4 but ...

I didn't like the new looks so went back to stock :D

tman1

Ready to race!
Great stuff Mo!!! Good to see the thread finally, it was well over due.

You guys really need to appreciate threads like this, not because they're special or anything, but because of how horribly difficult to be living with the mod bug in a country like Oman. The workshops here are so shoddy they will butcher your car before doing something as simple as an echaust install, so getting by is a real challenge. No surprise that xHeartcoreboyx named his thread the challening build as I'd imagine it's not too much better up north in Qatar.

Hopefully we can DIY future stuff! :)

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
Great stuff Mo!!! Good to see the thread finally, it was well over due.

You guys really need to appreciate threads like this, not because they're special or anything, but because of how horribly difficult to be living with the mod bug in a country like Oman. The workshops here are so shoddy they will butcher your car before doing something as simple as an echaust install, so getting by is a real challenge. No surprise that xHeartcoreboyx named his thread the challening build as I'd imagine it's not too much better up north in Qatar.

Hopefully we can DIY future stuff! :)

Thanks alot bro. Exactly, it was overdue due to my crazy work nature. But in the end I reached where I want to and still more to come.

No one appreciate the difficulty of building a car especially german cars unless they try living in this part of the world.

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
12th October 2012

Installed the Neuspeed Hi-flow discharge pipe. It was good doing this my self as I managed to spot the air leak I had. It was from a missing O-Ring seal. Thanks to the mechanic who installed my FMIC :mad: :mad:

I could tell the improved throttle response at an instant after installing this. Another great mod for the car :w00t:

Last edited:

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
1st December 2012

Installed the CTS K04 turbo and was like .. :D :D :D :D :D . Wheel spin is like crazy though! I can't floor it when i'm at 60 km/h or below! I'm surprised with the power the car delivers and the cars I can easily kill!

It felt like a totally new car. The power it has is insane! I went back for a Unitronic software despite the problems i had when i was Stage 2.

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
Awesome man. Good power too

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
Awesome man. Good power too

Thanks bro.

I keep getting this error code

Freeze Frame
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 36711 km
Time Indication: 0

I'm also experiencing a slight hesitation under partial throttle. I don't know if this has to do anything with the O2 sensor.

tman1

Ready to race!
Thanks bro.

I keep getting this error code

Freeze Frame
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 36711 km
Time Indication: 0

I'm also experiencing a slight hesitation under partial throttle. I don't know if this has to do anything with the O2 sensor.

Sure sounds like the O² sensor, probably due to being catless. Got any spacers to try out?

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
Sure sounds like the O² sensor, probably due to being catless. Got any spacers to try out?

I'm thinking of replacing the O2 sensor.
I shall as well try out the EVOMS sometime this weekend if you don't mind :D