GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

resilientsoma

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone know if there has been a Spreadsheet put together with the failure mileages, oil types Mods, Trans types? Anything like that?
No. You should PM everyone that posted a failure and make a list.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
My friend with the 09 just told me he let his wife drive and now it won't start. I hope it's not this.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
This doesnt really tell us what the new one looks like... Neither does his other video.
look at the first post of this thread.

ThatGTI

Go Kart Champion
i came across this post from vwvortex and looks like you can use vagcom to monitor chains (and can predict imminent failure). according to that post, measuring blocks 093 should be +/- 4 degrees.

i just did my car (it's a '11, so surely has the old tensioner still) and it's at +3.15 degrees. any other volunteers for measurements?

Anyone else know about this? I'd be nice to see if I was close to imminent failure. Worried about the tensioner on my 2010. Going on 72,000 miles. Dealer wants $500 in labor, didn't get to check on part cost.

postulio

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone else know about this? I'd be nice to see if I was close to imminent failure. Worried about the tensioner on my 2010. Going on 72,000 miles. Dealer wants $500 in labor, didn't get to check on part cost.

$500 in labor is actually really really good. That's what my mechanic charged as well. I've gotten quotes for labor in other places for $800-1200.
I got the parts here:
https://www.europaparts.com/timing-chain-kit-2-0t-tsi-ae.html

(didn't get any gaskets/hardware or valves, since mechanic said it wasn't necessary and he had all else he needed)

Price for the chains and tensioner went up a bit, that kit (minus hardware/gaskets/valves) ran me $278 in September 2015. Looks like it's $348 as configured now.

corydd

Go Kart Champion
$500 in labor is actually really really good. That's what my mechanic charged as well. I've gotten quotes for labor in other places for $800-1200.
I got the parts here:
https://www.europaparts.com/timing-chain-kit-2-0t-tsi-ae.html

(didn't get any gaskets/hardware or valves, since mechanic said it wasn't necessary and he had all else he needed)

Price for the chains and tensioner went up a bit, that kit (minus hardware/gaskets/valves) ran me $278 in September 2015. Looks like it's $348 as configured now.

Is it recommended that you replace the chain as well when doing this? HS Tuning sells a tensioner update kit for like $330 but it doesn't include a new chain.

postulio

Passed Driver's Ed
Is it recommended that you replace the chain as well when doing this? HS Tuning sells a tensioner update kit for like $330 but it doesn't include a new chain.

There's a lot of opinions on that. I say if your car has a lot of miles on it then go for it. It would be terrible if after doing the job the extra tension on the chain makes it snap. I'm not sure what's in that kit but it seems like every parts site has their own kit, each with different gear (the tensioner usually being the only constant).

Speak with you technician about what they recommend. I'd say definitely do both tensioners and chains. Rails at your discretion. Oil cover is another pricey piece some sites recommend, but if the mechanic is skilled he should be able to remove it and replace it without bending it. You'll def need a new gasket for the cover though.

zrickety

The Fixer
I would only do the chains if you don't have service history or if it was 10k intervals. I do 5k and don't anticipate a problem with them.

Crisis averted, my friend just has a bad starter.

sdremsw

So I've just run into this issue and wanted to get some advice from people.

I have a 2012 MK6 GTI that just clicked over 65,000 miles. Full service history with Volkswagen in California, no mechanical issues whatsoever and all services completed on schedule.

Drove to work one day and went to leave that night and it wouldn't start. No warnings at all. I get it towed to Volkswagen. It takes them 8 days to work out what's going on then tell me the timing chain tensioner failed which caused it to jump a few teeth and has now damaged the cylinder heads.

Quoted me $6,800 for the full repair with parts and labor. They suggested I ring Volkswagen and request they provide some assistance. Was on the phone with them twice but both times they have refused to provide any assistance stating it's outside the warranty period and that was it. They said it doesn't matter that it had a full service history with Volkswagen or that it's only 3.5 years old and 5,000 miles outside warranty. I even mentioned there have been other instances of this happening as well as the technical services bulletin but still no help.

Anyone have any advice other than scrapping? I can't really afford to spend that kinda of money on a repair job and this whole situation seems absolutely ridiculous.

resilientsoma

Go Kart Champion
So I've just run into this issue and wanted to get some advice from people.

I have a 2012 MK6 GTI that just clicked over 65,000 miles. Full service history with Volkswagen in California, no mechanical issues whatsoever and all services completed on schedule.

Drove to work one day and went to leave that night and it wouldn't start. No warnings at all. I get it towed to Volkswagen. It takes them 8 days to work out what's going on then tell me the timing chain tensioner failed which caused it to jump a few teeth and has now damaged the cylinder heads.

Quoted me $6,800 for the full repair with parts and labor. They suggested I ring Volkswagen and request they provide some assistance. Was on the phone with them twice but both times they have refused to provide any assistance stating it's outside the warranty period and that was it. They said it doesn't matter that it had a full service history with Volkswagen or that it's only 3.5 years old and 5,000 miles outside warranty. I even mentioned there have been other instances of this happening as well as the technical services bulletin but still no help.

Anyone have any advice other than scrapping? I can't really afford to spend that kinda of money on a repair job and this whole situation seems absolutely ridiculous.

sorry to hear that; they will not help you and technically they don't have to since you are out of warranty. same thing happened to me, only 2,900 miles out of warranty and paid $4,900 for an upper head rebuild.

if you got the time, take it to a small shop and get it fixed for a 3rd of that price, now that you know what it is with the dealer diagnosis. very costly and time consuming with towing and waiting for parts.

i traded my piece of crap in and got a 4Runner. $4,900 in the hole due to a bad design... 4 revisions and no communication to the consumer, sounds familiar with the dieselgate. what a shitty brand, new vw is shit.

Jaytk

Passed Driver's Ed
sorry to hear that; they will not help you and technically they don't have to since you are out of warranty. same thing happened to me, only 2,900 miles out of warranty and paid $4,900 for an upper head rebuild.

if you got the time, take it to a small shop and get it fixed for a 3rd of that price, now that you know what it is with the dealer diagnosis. very costly and time consuming with towing and waiting for parts.

i traded my piece of crap in and got a 4Runner. $4,900 in the hole due to a bad design... 4 revisions and no communication to the consumer, sounds familiar with the dieselgate. what a shitty brand, new vw is shit.
Same deal here. A little over a month over my warranty when it happenedfor the second time. Had to pay around $3Gs to get it fixed. They told me I was "lucky", since of all the cases they've seen, the heads were always damaged except for mine. I spent two weeks dealing with customer relationships, but got no where.. Don't count on them to do much.