GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock springs with SuperPro Ball Joints?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I'm looking into options for dialing in a bit more camber. My suspension is currently stock, and I'm trying to correct excessive outer tire wear during track events. I've considered DG Springs, but DD my car and would like to maintain stock ride height/quality if possible. I see people recommend the SuperPro adjustable ball joints, but I'm wondering if they would be worth it with stock springs? From everything I'm reading, I should be able to get to around -1.3° front camber with the ball joints alone. With DG Springs and ball joints, it looks like around -1.7° is achievable. I'd be happy with -1.3°, so I'm considering just ball joints right now. Can anyone provide any experience with this combination? Thanks!

Ronnie

Last edited:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I'm looking into options for dialing in a bit more camber. My suspension is currently stock, and I'm trying to correct excessive outer tire wear during track events. I've considered DG Springs, but DD my car and would like to maintain stock ride height/quality if possible. I see people recommend the SuperPro adjustable ball joints, but I'm wondering if they would be worth it with stock springs? From everything I'm reading, I should be able to get to around -1.3° front camber with the ball joints alone. With DG Springs and ball joints, it looks like around -1.7° is achievable. I'd be happy with -1.3°, so I'm considering just ball joints right now. Can anyone provide any experience with this combination? Thanks!

Ronnie

As a follow-up question, I see people were initially concerned about these ball joints losing their setting over time after hard cornering. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Michelin PSS 225/45/17. Hot tire pressures were around 42psi. Front tire temps were around 145°F, with the outer tread block being much hotter than the inner and center tread.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Michelin PSS 225/45/17. Hot tire pressures were around 42psi. Front tire temps were around 145°F, with the outer tread block being much hotter than the inner and center tread.

That's your first problem. PPS's aren't a track tire and don't have the stiffest sidewall. Also, maybe some anti sway bars are in order (at least the rear) before you go for camber plates.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I'd definitely agree with you on the PSS not being a track tire. I'm chalking my tires each session, and confirmed I'm not rolling over on the sidewalls at the pressures I'm running. The outer tread block is just taking a beating though, and I'm not sure a more track oriented tire would fair much better.

I've considered sway bars, and still may go that route. But at this point would like to add a little camber and go from there. So I'm definitely interested in hearing experiences with the SuperPro Ball joints.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I'd definitely agree with you on the PSS not being a track tire. I'm chalking my tires each session, and confirmed I'm not rolling over on the sidewalls at the pressures I'm running. The outer tread block is just taking a beating though, and I'm not sure a more track oriented tire would fair much better.

I've considered sway bars, and still may go that route. But at this point would like to add a little camber and go from there. So I'm definitely interested in hearing experiences with the SuperPro Ball joints.

Adding more negative static camber is all well and good. Might want to look at these. They add caster. Adding caster increases negative camber during cornering. They also prevent front end lift which will help you put the power down. Just trying to help you keep it daily like. Plenty of fast gti's at the track that aren't running camber plates and aren't burning up tires. I'm on bilstein HD's and stock springs btw.

http://powerflexusa.com/volkswageng...erearbushinganti-liftandcasteradjustable.aspx

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for the info on the Powerflex ALK. I don't want to add camber plates or adjustable ball joints if I don't need to, especially given that I'd prefer to keep my stock springs. There's quite a bit of information out there, and I'm trying to sort through it to find what will work in my case. Would the ALK alone be worth doing? Again, not trying to throw parts at it, but be smart about trying to improve the issue.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the info on the Powerflex ALK. I don't want to add camber plates or adjustable ball joints if I don't need to, especially given that I'd prefer to keep my stock springs. There's quite a bit of information out there, and I'm trying to sort through it to find what will work in my case. Would the ALK alone be worth doing? Again, not trying to throw parts at it, but be smart about trying to improve the issue.

Yes, the ALK alone is worth it. Definitely do one thing at a time and then test. Don't just throw parts at it all at one time. You won't know what helped and what hindered.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Just ordered the SuperPro ALK, and will try that first. I have my first trackday scheduled in April, so I'll let you guys know some feedback. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

red_stapler

Ready to race!
I think I'd want to limit use of superpros to lowered cars since it raises the roll center, which is already pretty high on our cars.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Yes, the ALK alone is worth it. Definitely do one thing at a time and then test. Don't just throw parts at it all at one time. You won't know what helped and what hindered.

lol this guy. "Do as I say, not as I do"

But yeah an ALK will make a nice difference for turn in. Not sure it will help your tire wear problem much though. If you're going to be tracking the car you should consider changing out that stock suspension.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
lol this guy. "Do as I say, not as I do"

Hey, we're all hypocrites in our own way, right. :D

But yeah an ALK will make a nice difference for turn in. Not sure it will help your tire wear problem much though. If you're going to be tracking the car you should consider changing out that stock suspension.

When you say "changing out that stock suspension", can you clarify what that involves? Where I come from, that means replacing/modifying literally every suspension component. I restored a 65 Nova a few years ago, with the intent of making a suitable dual purpose driver and track day car. That meant replacing everything...modified control arms, modified strut rods, strut brace, modified control arm and shock mounts, swaybars, springs/shocks, welded subframe connectors, the list goes one and on.

Obviously the GTI's suspension is a much better starting point than the 1st Gen Nova, so if I can add a few well-thought-out modifications here and there, I'd like to go that route first. If it doesn't get me where I want to be, I'm not opposed to going the "replace everything" route.

Here's a pic of that 65 Nova for attention...now in Germany btw.