GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blown motor, tensioner failure 2.0TSI 2012 GTI 93K miles What would you do?

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
As far as gaskets, I would buy a turbo install kit which will include the exhaust manifold gasket, downpipe gasket, oil/water line gaskets/o-rings, and all studs/nuts.

Thanks Tony, that helps a lot. Work is progressing, I promise pictures tomorrow. I'm stuck on the AC connection at the bottom of the radiator, passenger side. Both high and low pressure lines go in there, but I'm having trouble disconnecting it. I had the refrigerant recovered right before towing, so no problem there. Just stuck on how to disconnect? There is a large triple square bolt that I took out, but it made no difference, still tight. I'm hoping I don't have to take apart the entire radiator/intercooler/condenser apparatus! It's all together right now....

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Okay, here's day 1, end of day two, and then end of day 3 today. Getting there. One bolt left on the turbo exhaust and it started rounding out! That's all I have left then I undo the suspension bolt (pictured, dogbone?) and attach the engine hoist and pull it all out. I'm going to take it out with the engine mounts intact, right? CV's are all undone, ready to go. On the 'dogbone', which bolt do I disconnect to make it easiest? I am pulling the motor and transmission together as I'm told it's best in the end? I have a '79 Westy, and always pull them together. It is way better.

I pulled off the alternator and compressor already. Turbo is on the back and will come out next. Half hoping the turbo ate some shrapnel and I'll have to tell my wife that the K04 is only a little more than a brand new 'K03'....

Day 1 beginning

Day 2 done

Day 3 done

Dogbone? Which bolt to remove in order to pull the motor/tranny? Does it matter?

Attachments

• 1220170924.jpg
    1220170924.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 464
  • 1221171143a.jpg
    1221171143a.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 455
  • 1222172021.jpg
    1222172021.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 480
  • 1222172013.jpg
    1222172013.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
One more thing. I understand vehicles built after 09/12 have the corrected tensioner. The motor I bought is off a 2013 model and I have the VIN but not the motor yet. Is there a way to tell based on the VIN what the manufacture date was? VIN: WVWHD7AJ8DW084885

Thanks

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Not sure I understand the latter part of the information given as it seams to be generic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Very Happy to see your doing this yourself. So awesome.

Its such a shame all this is needed because of a relatively inexpensive part. Why are these tensionors so problematic?

I mean other cars have Timing Chains and dont have these issues? So what gives?

MAD PROPS to the OP for doing this though.
:party0038:

Keep up the Good Work!!!

Jeff

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Very Happy to see your doing this yourself. So awesome.

Its such a shame all this is needed because of a relatively inexpensive part. Why are these tensionors so problematic?

I mean other cars have Timing Chains and dont have these issues? So what gives?

MAD PROPS to the OP for doing this though.
:party0038:

Keep up the Good Work!!!

Jeff

A forum member made a great post on this topic.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102001

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed

Thanks for the kind words, I'm doing my best but not done yet! Also thanks for the VIN decoder, I will sleep better tonight.

Motor and transmission are out! Time to swap accessories and the turbo to the new motor and redo the whole thing. Of course, I have a house full of in-laws for the next two days, and while spending the entire time in the garage is fine with me, something tells me my wife will not approve.
Merry Christmas guys, hope you have a good holiday and I'll be back on it next week.

Attachments

• 1223171909.jpg
    1223171909.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 466
  • 1223171908.jpg
    1223171908.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 438

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Nice job man. Looking good!

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks fellas. Mother in Law didn't bale until 3pm, arghhh! So I was stuck with small talk all day. I did get the new motor in the garage and pulled the inspection cover off where the tensioner is shown. Picture below. Can anyone verify that this is the updated tensioner? It looks WAY different than the outgoing motor's, so I'm happy there. I can't for the life of me get the part number to show. The updated tensioner is part number 06K 109 467 K MR7. I only need the last digit to show and I can verify it ends in 'K'. I can see the 'MR7', but they ALL end in that number. I'm feeling decent about this tensioner. May rent a borescope from Autozone to totally confirm, I think they loan them?

Turbo is out and the picture is below. I watched the Humble Mechanic video about the 2.0 turbo failures, and this turbo doesn't show any symptoms. The waste gate was pretty tight and the scroll looked pretty good. My glove grazed it, so it looks nicked up. That is just carbon that was wiped off. Anyone have insight on what else to check or should I just run this turbo?

Attachments

• 1226171511.jpg
    1226171511.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 493
  • 1226171800.jpg
    1226171800.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 473

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
That’s the revised tensioner! [emoji106], so no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: