GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Key stuck in ignition SOLVED

defcon7

First post here! I'm posting in reference to this post http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98235

I bought my GTI about 2 months ago. 2011 4 door with the DSG. Well a couple of weeks ago i noticed that intermittently, when i would put it in park and shut it off, the key wouldn't come out of the ignition. No biggie, turn it on then back off and if would come right out. Well yesterday, when i got home from work it did it again. But no amount of turning it on and off or moving the shifter and the steering wheel would make it come out. After about a minute of screwing around with it, it finally came out. Then it happened again this morning when i got to work. I'm the lead tech at a local Meineke so i went on Identifix and checked for TSBs, to no avail. Did a little googling and came across a few people with the same exact issue but no confirmed remedies. So while we were slow i pulled my car in and started fooling around with it. well after enough shifting it back and forth, finally the shifter wouldn't come out of park which led me to believe the shifter is the issue. Ever since i bought it, i noticed the little silver and back trim piece on the side of the knob was loose. Well i decided to take off the middle black "leather" piece and I found the problem. One of the tabs that hold the side pieces on had broken off, hence the looseness, and it jammed itself just so in the shifter to prevent the button from engaging completely, and also preventing it from disengaging completely thus locking the key in the ignition. After much finagling I was finally able to get the little tab out and free up the shifter button, and now all is well. Needless to say I'll be purchasing a BFI shift knob very soon.

So if anyone else comes across this issue, check your shift knob and see if the button is fully disengaging. If it isn't, there's your problem. Hope this is of some help!

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Thanks for this. I'm going to bookmark this just in case it happens to me.

Thanks again & welcome to the MK6 forum.

LPA3

Thank you!!

Hi all,
I joined this forum just specifically to thank defcon7! I've had this issue in my 2011 for MONTHS and was driving myself crazy with temporary fixes and workarounds and tearing everything apart. It happened exactly like you said:The (shockingly cheap) plastic sides of my shifter started getting loose, eventually rattling around and one day the key got stuck. Sure enough, after months of frustration, I found the tiny little plastic tab broke off and fell in the EXACT place it needed to block the shifter from fully disengaging, which of course locked the key in the ignition. Thanks to your post, months of chaos ended with a 4 second fix. I'll be spreading the word! Even a GTI specific mechanic I know wasn't aware of this issue. THANK YOU!!! :thumbup:

F1Mike

It looks like I'm having this same issue, I'll have to take a look at my DSG shifter later tonight.

I'm not too confident about pulling the shifter mechanism apart, would you guys be able to post any pictures or a description? I'll start messing with it later and see if I can do it, my side plastic pieces are a little loose already.

EDIT: I was having the exact same issue as OP, I'll add some pics in a bit.

Last edited:

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
First post here! I'm posting in reference to this post http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98235

I bought my GTI about 2 months ago. 2011 4 door with the DSG. Well a couple of weeks ago i noticed that intermittently, when i would put it in park and shut it off, the key wouldn't come out of the ignition. No biggie, turn it on then back off and if would come right out. Well yesterday, when i got home from work it did it again. But no amount of turning it on and off or moving the shifter and the steering wheel would make it come out. After about a minute of screwing around with it, it finally came out. Then it happened again this morning when i got to work. I'm the lead tech at a local Meineke so i went on Identifix and checked for TSBs, to no avail. Did a little googling and came across a few people with the same exact issue but no confirmed remedies. So while we were slow i pulled my car in and started fooling around with it. well after enough shifting it back and forth, finally the shifter wouldn't come out of park which led me to believe the shifter is the issue. Ever since i bought it, i noticed the little silver and back trim piece on the side of the knob was loose. Well i decided to take off the middle black "leather" piece and I found the problem. One of the tabs that hold the side pieces on had broken off, hence the looseness, and it jammed itself just so in the shifter to prevent the button from engaging completely, and also preventing it from disengaging completely thus locking the key in the ignition. After much finagling I was finally able to get the little tab out and free up the shifter button, and now all is well. Needless to say I'll be purchasing a BFI shift knob very soon.

So if anyone else comes across this issue, check your shift knob and see if the button is fully disengaging. If it isn't, there's your problem. Hope this is of some help!

thanks. Your note here helped me fix this. Similar symptoms and got it out and repaired. Saved a trip to the dealer. I thought maybe the cable stretched and needed a repair or adjustment. My wife has been checking out the forums for a while and she forwarded this to me.

Isaac Chabalala

I am having the same problem, the key got stuck, I can't take it out , but it can start.

Please help

skell