GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do I have any recourse?

YellowC4S

Ready to race!
I dropped my 2012 GTI off at bodyshop to be resprayed back in August. Was told 2-4 weeks which I thought was ridiculous. Last week was 4 weeks and the guy says it should be done by Friday next week. I am totally pissed. Do I have any recourse?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I dropped my 2012 GTI off at bodyshop to be resprayed back in August. Was told 2-4 weeks which I thought was ridiculous. Last week was 4 weeks and the guy says it should be done by Friday next week. I am totally pissed. Do I have any recourse?

Probably not. Have they even started the car? If not I would pull the plug and go somewhere else. I had a similar experience with a mechanic (VW Dealership in Anchorage). Told me 2 weeks to fix a bent control arm and a couple other pieces after hitting a curb in the snow. 6 weeks later I got my car back.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Unfortunately no. Ultimately though if you called to get a status check, they should have told you that you could come get the car if you cannot wait though. That would of been better than giving you the run around.

I had an appointment to get my clutch and K04 installed with a recommended shop and the scheduling turned into a joke. I had initially made the appointment a 2 weeks early and they told me to drop it off Thursday night so that they could start it first thing Friday morning. I even called Wednesday to confirm again that we were good and they said yep.

So I took off an entire day from work to pick the car up Friday because they close before I get out of work and was hoping to talk to someone while I was there during the pickup. Midway Friday I called for a status and they said they didn't even start it yet but would first thing Saturday morning. I was a little bummed but OK, it's still before I go to work the next week, I can deal with it.

I call Saturday around noon and they told me they had no time and that I could come get the car if I couldn't leave it any longer. I was annoyed overall because I called twice earlier to confirm the appointment and they nearly guaranteed it would be ready on Friday so that annoyed me all to hell. Ultimately they had it done Tuesday the following week and I picked it up on Wednesday. A full week from the Wednesday I called to confirm that they could get it done by Friday of the previous week.

Not as extreme as your story but it annoyed me because I also was car less for a few days and had to borrow my mother's car to get to work. The shop wasn't exactly around the corner so I didn't want to go back and forth dropping it off, picking it up, dropping it off. So yeah, he did tell me I could of come and got it on Saturday if I couldn't wait but they should of been more upfront with me if they knew they didn't have the time to handle it and made me drive over to leave it.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
3-4 weeks is pretty standard for a full respray, depending on the body shop. I'd rather wait and have it come out well then to rush it and have it look crummy. Waiting an extra week won't be the end of the world as long as the quality of work is there.