GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 mk6 pzev with 138k questions

Stg1needed

I recently purchased a 2012 mk6 with roughly 130k, 1 owner trade in car. The car is bone stock as an older lady owned it for the past 6 years. I'm unfamiliar with vw and not sure how they hold up once you start throwing aftermarket fun on them. I'm not thinking anything crazy, just something to get it to move a little quicker. Thinking about going the cobb route in regards to the v3 access port an intake and at some point a turbo back exhaust. Probably try to find used items as it's easier on the budget. Is this too high of miles to start adding to it or anything I should look out for?
Thanks and I greatly appreciate feedback.

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
I would definitely start by checking maintenance records on the car. Unfortunately I also have a 2012 and its the worst year to have. Start from the beginning and check if the major known problems have been fixed. Water pump, timing chain tensioner or a full timing chain service, if its had an intake done or a carbon cleaning done. Also wouldn't hurt to see if it has the upgraded DV and no oil leaking anywhere. I'm guessing if it was an older lady driving it then it was an automatic and has the DSG tranny. Would also see if a trans service has been done on that as well.

If all that is either fixed or not bad then I'd say go ahead and start on the upgrades.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Welcome and congrats!

Before adding power I would refresh the suspension. New struts, strut tops, strut bearings, and control arm bushings up front. Then at least new struts, strut tops, and spring isolators at the rear. If you want to upgrade while you're in there TireRack (forum sponsor) offers an Eibach kit that comes with ProKit springs and swaybars for $500.

If it's a manual I would refresh the shift linkage because it has a lot of plastic and rubber parts that are certainly feeling a little sloppy at this point. Also, the stock clutch probably won't like much extra horsepower. If you have a DSG, disregard... it's good to go as long as it's healthy.

Last thing I'd consider before more power are the engine and transmission mounts. Being rubber they're probably in need of replacement.

Stg1needed

Thanks for the responses, it's a 6spd actually lol. From what I can see everything seems to be pretty solid, no oil leaks, coolant and what not. I am use to a jeep xj clutch so this thing feels like butter shifting lol. I'm unsure about the timing chain/tensioner or water pump. I spoke with a tech at the local VW dealership and he said with 130k it likely would have had to replace the tensioner. Is there anyway to check for sure without taking it all apart? I hear no chain rattle when I first start the car. Can a scan tool like vagcom or autel see if the timing is off at all or is there a window to inspect the tensioner.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I believe Vagcom has some way of reporting timing chain stretch, but I have to defer to others on the specifics of how that works.

There should be a small porthole on the timing chain cover you can pull off that you can see the tensioner through. I remember reading that you can see the part number through it, but I may be mistaken.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I have a 2011 with 140k on the clock. Just went ko4 over the weekend. I have done chain and tensioner,clutch,new balance shafts (one seized and dropped alum in pan about 10k miles ago) regular oil changes ect. Compression is around 140psi on all cylinders. Now we will see how the ko4 holds up. I wasnt too familiar with this car when I got it. I have had the engine out and can safely say there isn't much in couldn't fix on it. Imo if you are going to start modding be prepaid for other issues to pop up. Clutch "should" be good on stage 1. Mine started slipping stage 2 in the upper gears. It's worth the headaches imo as I like to waste weekends working on cars anyway.lol and never put anything back stock

Stg1needed

Awesome, I'll have to try and find that port hole and run the numbers on it. Hopefully start adding to it a little over the winter. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions lol.