GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat17: Boosted Learns How To Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
The problem with a lot of those cars (like Fieros) isn't that they were inherently junk (or rather, any MORE junk than anything else GM from that era) but that they were cheap to begin with.

That meant that the 2nd owner usually got them for pennies on the dollar, which usually means - less care was given. Few years down the road of nothing but being driven hard and otherwise neglected, and they fall apart.

Jaber

Modero
I remember when everyone was swapping the 3800SC engines into those Fieros.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
The problem with a lot of those cars (like Fieros) isn't that they were inherently junk (or rather, any MORE junk than anything else GM from that era) but that they were cheap to begin with.

That meant that the 2nd owner usually got them for pennies on the dollar, which usually means - less care was given. Few years down the road of nothing but being driven hard and otherwise neglected, and they fall apart.

You mean like the paper thin body panels of the Datsun's?

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
good lord. I'm watching motorcycle vids on Isle of Mann. Those guys are bonkers
If my wife and I ever make it to Europe I am making sure the isle of Mann tt is going on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Phur

Autocross Champion
I would love to drive that shit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phur

Autocross Champion
One of the things that made my Fiero expensive is that they were only produced from ‘84-‘88. They borrowed a lot of parts from the spare parts bin for ‘84-‘87 and were supposed to have gotten the car a lot more “sorted” in ’88 with its own exclusive parts... then stopped producing them. [emoji849] So parts were stupid hard to come by and expensive.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Operations: I want all of our incoming connections for 2 specific cases to have Keepalive set to True. I think it will make our clients happier. When can I have it?

Omni: Well, that's not a core server thing - that's a networking, front door, load balancing thing. You should talk to those guys.

Operations: Okay. Can you talk to the IT guys and get back to me?

Omni: Um well, it's your reques-

Operations: Hey Omni's boss, we need help. Can you designate someone from your team to help out?

Omni's Boss: Hey Omni, can you help out here?

Omni: *headdesk*

IT guys: Woah woah woah you want WHAT? This is not an easy change. Will require massive testing, config changes, and new hardware to handle the new load.

Omni: Hey Operations - IT says this is massive. Can you provide me with some justification behind this? What's the real benefit?

Operations: We think the clients will be happy.

Omni: Ok anything beyond THINKING the client will be happy?

Operations: This is bullshit. You said IT could get it done.

Omni: Ya... well that was back before we knew this was a big deal. IT says there are hardware costs on top of engineering and dev time. It's also turns out that there are code changes needed because the software running on these boxes closes out all the connections anyways.

Operations: Waaaaaaaaaaaaah this is bullshit

Omni: Please provide me with actual stats to back up your hypothesis that this benefits the customer. Average load times before, expected average load times after, across how many users and connections.

Operations: Can't you do it?

Omni: No.

Operations: Hey Omni's boss... can we get help from someone on your team?

Omni's boss: Hey Omni, can you........

*headdesk*

1 hour left until vacation.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
If my wife and I ever make it to Europe I am making sure the isle of Mann tt is going on.

I've had friends go.

Apparently the thing to do is to sit at one of the many, many pubs along the route. Have a pint, cajole with the locals. When a bike comes, get up, step outside, watch the bike go by, then head back inside for another pint. Rinse and repeat.

Occasionally, between bikes, stumble down the road to the next pub.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Operations: I want all of our incoming connections for 2 specific cases to have Keepalive set to True. I think it will make our clients happier. When can I have it?

Omni: Well, that's not a core server thing - that's a networking, front door, load balancing thing. You should talk to those guys.

Operations: Okay. Can you talk to the IT guys and get back to me?

Omni: Um well, it's your reques-

Operations: Hey Omni's boss, we need help. Can you designate someone from your team to help out?

Omni's Boss: Hey Omni, can you help out here?

Omni: *headdesk*

IT guys: Woah woah woah you want WHAT? This is not an easy change. Will require massive testing, config changes, and new hardware to handle the new load.

Omni: Hey Operations - IT says this is massive. Can you provide me with some justification behind this? What's the real benefit?

Operations: We think the clients will be happy.

Omni: Ok anything beyond THINKING the client will be happy?

Operations: This is bullshit. You said IT could get it done.

Omni: Ya... well that was back before we knew this was a big deal. IT says there are hardware costs on top of engineering and dev time. It's also turns out that there are code changes needed because the software running on these boxes closes out all the connections anyways.

Operations: Waaaaaaaaaaaaah this is bullshit

Omni: Please provide me with actual stats to back up your hypothesis that this benefits the customer. Average load times before, expected average load times after, across how many users and connections.

Operations: Can't you do it?

Omni: No.

Operations: Hey Omni's boss... can we get help from someone on your team?

Omni's boss: Hey Omni, can you........

*headdesk*

1 hour left until vacation.

We literally have the exact same fucking job it sounds like.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
I've had friends go.

Apparently the thing to do is to sit at one of the many, many pubs along the route. Have a pint, cajole with the locals. When a bike comes, get up, step outside, watch the bike go by, then head back inside for another pint. Rinse and repeat.

Occasionally, between bikes, stumble down the road to the next pub.
Will make a mental note of that. Sounds fun to me.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
We literally have the exact same fucking job it sounds like.

I'd be crying, if I wasn't already laughing.

Soon... this may not be my circus, nor my monkeys, anymore. Soon. Interview on Tuesday when I get back from vacay. I almost tried to jam it in today but didn't really have the time on my calendar, plus I didn't want to seem too desperate.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
I got to where I am because when I saw something that needed to be done, especially if it was something I WANTED to be done... I'd pick it up and run with it myself. I'd go as far as I could getting shit done, or set up, or prepared to get done. I wouldn't ask anyone for help until I was certain I needed it. Regardless of whether the actual task was technically in my job description or not.

Drives me absolutely fucking BONKERS when people whine. "Well I mean, gosh, I want this, but can't YOU do it for me?"

Even to the point where people will come to me with something, and I'll tell them it's possible and to put in a product enhancement ticket. They won't. They'll whine for me to do it, or suddenly, it's no longer important. Simply because they don't want to file a fucking ticket! They'd rather I be the one to fill it out... even tho ALL the questions in the ticket are ALL questions THEY have the answers to - not me.

Phur

Autocross Champion
I hope this posts right... Tapatalk. [emoji849]

This is all I keep hearing.
https://youtu.be/hNuu9CpdjIo

Status
Not open for further replies.