GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extreme Performance and Competition Tires

Brian@PuenteHillsVW

Ready to race!
Cool looks like the re-11s will be my next tires from stock. Sticking with my stock wheels for now.. For the $$ $190 ea this seems like the best tire what you guys think?

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Tire Rack's comparison between Rival, RE-11A, ZII, and AD08 R is out:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=172

Summary seems to be:

Best on-road manner/performance: RE-11A
Best dry performance(Time/Data): ZII
Best dry performance(Subjective): Rival
Best wet performance(Time/data): AD08 R/RE-11A
Best wet performance(Subjective): RE-11A

Overall Combined: RE-11A

For Autocrosser looking for winning tires I think ZII or Rival is the best buy. Especially if you don't have to drive on them everyday. For people like me who drives on whatever tire they autoX with, RE-11A seems to be a good compromise.

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Summary seems to be:

Best wet performance(Time/data): AD08 R/RE-11A
Best wet performance(Subjective): RE-11A

Is there any comparison to the Conti DW? I thought that was the gold standard for wet performance. (Sorry, I didn't read the article yet)

For Autocrosser looking for winning tires I think ZII or Rival is the best buy.

Winning tires, YAY! Winning driver on winning tires is another story!

ErsteGTI

Ready to race!
Thanks Sonny and Tirerack. Ordered RE-11A yesterday and received them today with standard shipping!

Can't wait to get them installed on the 29th. I'll let you guys know how they feel/sound.
Btw, they are a great looking tire too. :)

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Yesterday saw the retirement of 2 of the first 4 tires I bought this year. Thankfully I still have 2 spares which should be done by the end of this season.

I've been quite pleased with the performance of the ZIIs, but I'm always curious when the Rivals will be out for GTI-sized wheels. Any ideas?

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Yesterday saw the retirement of 2 of the first 4 tires I bought this year. Thankfully I still have 2 spares which should be done by the end of this season.

I've been quite pleased with the performance of the ZIIs, but I'm always curious when the Rivals will be out for GTI-sized wheels. Any ideas?

Unfortunately I do not have an update on that at this time.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie

Just buy 17s next year....:D

rpc07

Ready to race!
I am undecided on wheels but i have 2 in mind, both are 17x8 et45. One is the pf01 and the other is the tsw interlagos rf. My real question is about the re11-a I am 100% sure i want to run this tire I am just unsure of the things. 1) tire size, the 2 i would consider is 235/45 or 245/40 And question 2) Daily driving, I know this combo will only be on the car for 5-6 months but in those months i will be putting probably 12k miles on them and 10k of that will be highway. Just curious if i will have any issues with daily driving on this combo.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
With 17x8 ET45 you could probably fit 255/40...:D

245/40 will be easy to fit. You may have a bit of poke. This is all assuming stock height.

I am currently DDing RE11A on 255/40/17, aside from slightly lower MPG from my last set of tires(PSS, in 245/40), nothing really is an issue. I have about 5000 miles on these so far since late May, and my driving includes 20 miles commute daily, plus autoX on weekend. The bulk of the mileage comes from a 1800miles trip last month.

rpc07

Ready to race!
Car is currently sitting at 24.5 ftg front and 24.75 rear but I have no problem raising it for the new setup next year.

Mid-Life-Crisis

Looking at the RE-11 vs Ecsta XS...

Wet handling being a minor consideration, would there not be an advantage of a 12lb. weight savings (based on 4 tires) with the XS?

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Looking at the RE-11 vs Ecsta XS...

Wet handling being a minor consideration, would there not be an advantage of a 12lb. weight savings (based on 4 tires) with the XS?

The XS is definitely an underrated tire, however, you do give up some wet and dry grip as well as everyday driveability compared to the RE11. Though not insignificant, the 12 lbs in and of itself wouldn't sway me away from choosing the Bridgestone. This is all, of course taking cost out of the equation. The RE11 is just an extremely good tire, this takes nothing away from the XS.

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
I think some of the additional weight of the Bridgestone contributes to the higher load rating. If you are not tracking or autocrossing, you may not notice the issue. But during autocrosses this year on 88W tires, I needed more air than I do on my current 91W tires. The stock load rating is 92W, if that is something you care about.

Mid-Life-Crisis

The XS is definitely an underrated tire, however, you do give up some wet and dry grip as well as everyday driveability compared to the RE11. Though not insignificant, the 12 lbs in and of itself wouldn't sway me away from choosing the Bridgestone. This is all, of course taking cost out of the equation. The RE11 is just an extremely good tire, this takes nothing away from the XS.

Thanks, Sonny. It's nice to get the opinion from the vendor to confirm a future purchase. I will be mounting these on a set of Sparco's I picked up from Tire Rack. They will be a track only set but wanted to make sure I got the best setup for the track.