GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: 8 Sensor OPS Retrofit

daveymcgav

Thanks for the amazing writeup! This will be super helpful when installing on my GTI.

Did you have to paint the sensors at all? Any idea if that's supported, or will they stop working if I pick the wrong paint? :)

gjas181

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the amazing writeup! This will be super helpful when installing on my GTI.

Did you have to paint the sensors at all? Any idea if that's supported, or will they stop working if I pick the wrong paint? :)

The sensors came painted already for me. If you have a black car you won't have to paint at all as they are black plastic. Otherwise I imagine normal auto paint would work just fine.

daveymcgav

The sensors came painted already for me. If you have a black car you won't have to paint at all as they are black plastic. Otherwise I imagine normal auto paint would work just fine.

I'll go with normal auto paint, thanks! Just ordered the kit now. Should be fun to figure out how to squeeze the PLA sensors next to the side makers on the GTI bumper :D.

gjas181

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll go with normal auto paint, thanks! Just ordered the kit now. Should be fun to figure out how to squeeze the PLA sensors next to the side makers on the GTI bumper :D.

If you get some pictures with the GTI front bumper I can add them to the how to. If the GTI doesn't have the outlines in the bumper you can always put them above or below the sidemarkers. just make sure they are perpendicular to the car when installed. Make sure to ask the guy for 4 of the angled sensors.

Timo

Ready to race!
My guess would be you have to buy grills specifically for the parking sensors. The sensors slide and clip into the holders so I'm betting on the R there is a specific part number for grills with parking sensors that have the holders molded in. Best thing to do would be ask one of the people with an R that have the sensors.
On the bright side you wouldn't have to paint them since the sensors are black:thumbup:

You could always jerry rig something but it wouldnt look as clean as OEM.

edit: found this on ecs http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_R--2.0T/Exterior/Body/Bumper/ES1878080/ seems to be the lower center grill with sensors. The side grills they have dont appear to have the holders so those might be integrated into a different piece.

I may have stumbled onto the OPS clips for the lower grill for the R. However, the circular hole for the OPS seem to be different sizes. Not sure why. Can anyone speak to this?
Also, if anyone reads Chinese, can you translate what it says in the pictures? I tried google translate for the remaining text but still doesn't make complete sense.

http://www.buychina.com/items/golf-...l-bracket-a-suite-dedicated-radar-qwxpplslrhi
or
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c.w4002-9366856773.27.73P7e2&id=17097992076

mageus

I wired the OPS into the car and tested it. Now I just need to install all the hardware. Some thoughts:

- You can't tap into the ODB port.
My original research led me to believe the ODB port CAN wires are powertrain bus. For whatever reason, the OPS module can't see the powertrain from here. My fault for being lazy and not tapping into the red plug.

- Use a socket extension to unscrew the vent piping (to get to the red plug).
The knee bolster trim blocks the 2 screws on the foot vent piping. You can access them by passing a long socket extension through the slit made by the steering wheel adjustment bar.

- The red 20-pin connector pinout is correct: CAN-HI pin 16, CAN-LOW pin 6.
Reference this page: http://www.golfv.de/128418-can-high-low.html , post 7.

- I recommend making a "pigtail" off of the red 20-pin connector.
If you're like me, the install will take you several days. Cut the CAN wires (going to the OPS module) about 6" from the red plug and insert your own plug. A 3-pin computer fan plug works great. Do the wiring into the red connector first. Then you can disconnect it and work on the rest of the install later. This is also useful to isolate the OPS system if you need to troubleshoot later.

- If you don't disconnect the battery when doing the wiring, VAG-COM will throw a bunch of codes about the CAN bus. These can be safely deleted. (Or, just do it the correct way and disconnect the battery)

- Flip the OPS button face 180degrees.
If you have an ESP button, the OPS button will have more clearance when installed a certain way. For me, this made the OPS image upside down. It's easy flip the button face using a micro-screwdriver.

- OPS button not perfect.
My OPS button sits slightly lower than the ESP button or blanks. Not a big deal, but visually obvious. May try to shim it later.

- For reference, here are the other plug pinouts:
T16 (going into OPS module)
1 +12V
2 speaker 2
4 to OPS button
6 CAN-HI (powertrain)
8 GND
10 speaker 1
13 to OPS button
15 CAN-LO (powertrain)

T6 (ESP / OPS buttons) - my previous link was incorrect
1 GND (brown)
2 to OPS (yellow)
3 illumination (grey)
4 ? GND (brown)
5 to OPS (blue/white)
6 ? GND (brown)

- You don't need OEM terminal tools.
All pins can be removed with either a large paperclip, small paperclip, or micro-flathead screwdriver. For some plugs, you put the paperclip into the face of the plug just under the pin to release the tab. In the tiny plugs (like the black Y-plug) you insert the screwdriver into the side of the plug to depress the tab. Of course, it's easier with the official tools.

- Make a pigtail off of the cigarette lighter.
When you tap into the +12V on the cigarette lighter, use a 6" wire with a connector on it. The crimp-on bullet connectors work great. If you decide to add something in the future (amp, radar detector, dash-cam, hula girl) you now have an ACC switched source. Just make a Y-adapter using crimp connectors. I now have 4 things coming off of that wire.
The ashtray comes out so you can solder at your bench.
Remember to use flux on the cigarette lighter to make the solder stick.

N-joy!

mageus

I was re-reading the original post. You mention the front sensors were reversed L->R. Maybe the OPS module is supposed to be installed on the left side of the car? Of course, presuming your rear sensors were fine, that means one of the sensor harnesses would have to cross to the other side of the car.

t1328

Hi Guys:

I purchased both an OPS 8 system, and a rear-view camera module from www.bold-sport.com after reading this thread. I had them installed by one of the best installers in the DC metro area. I could have done it myself - I know enough, but i didn't want to mess with something that can easily go wrong. The rear-view camera works perfectly, but the OPS 8 system does not due to a defective component. Bold-sport initially was very responsive by email in terms of trying to troubleshoot the issue. But once we had proven to them that all the connections had been done correctly, and either one of the OPS sensors was defective, or the wiring harness was wired incorrectly, they stopped responding. It's a lot of money to pay for a product, and it's installation to have to disable it and not get any response back from them.

I'm not asking them to send the whole product back. They can send one sensor (we know which one), and if that's not the issue, then it would have to be the wire connected to that sensor. Perhaps the other vendors discussed in this thread are better options. If bold-sport decides to reply to me and sends a new sensor, I'll update this thread to let you know.

Thanks
t1328

chips

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

One question, after you codify your car using VCDS to enable LPA 2.0, the OPS in the radio shows the 360 sensors, all the 12 sensors or just the 8 sensors (front and rear)?

Like this:

I'm waiting to my kit to upgrade to LPA 2.0 comes.

Thanks a lot.

gjas181

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

One question, after you codify your car using VCDS to enable LPA 2.0, the OPS in the radio shows the 360 sensors, all the 12 sensors or just the 8 sensors (front and rear)?

Like this:

I'm waiting to my kit to upgrade to LPA 2.0 comes.

Thanks a lot.

Yes it will display just like that picture and the one in my diy. the sides sensor will not show up until the car moves past an object, I think it uses the wheel speed sensors and the side sensors to create that view.

chips

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

Today I received my upgrade kit to PLA 2.0.

My GTI comes with 8 OPS sensors from factory and I buy the kit to upgrade to PLA 2.0 in carsystems. This one:

http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-golf-6-park-assist-pla-2-0-upgrade-set-3aa919475l,id696.html

Do you have a manual or diagram to connect all the wiring? I'm a little lost with that, I really appreciate if you have one in detail that guides me on how to connect the 4 extra sensors.

My kit comes with the module 3AA 919 475 L, my question is, this modules that comes with the kit replaces the modules that comes from factory that controlls the 8 OPS sensors? or it works together?

Thanks a lot for your help.

I attach the things that I received in the package.

gjas181

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

Today I received my upgrade kit to PLA 2.0.

My GTI comes with 8 OPS sensors from factory and I buy the kit to upgrade to PLA 2.0 in carsystems. This one:

http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-golf-6-park-assist-pla-2-0-upgrade-set-3aa919475l,id696.html

Do you have a manual or diagram to connect all the wiring? I'm a little lost with that, I really appreciate if you have one in detail that guides me on how to connect the 4 extra sensors.

My kit comes with the module 3AA 919 475 L, my question is, this modules that comes with the kit replaces the modules that comes from factory that controlls the 8 OPS sensors? or it works together?

Thanks a lot for your help.

I attach the things that I received in the package.

In your images the cables are labeled with the connectors and pins the loose wires need to be placed in on the PDC module. Yes the new module will just replace your current one. If you look at the connectors when you replace the module with the new one the pins will be labeled with really tiny numbers. Just be sure to run the cables to the bumpers before you insert these wires; it will be much easier to fit them through the rubber grommets as loose wires.