GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

msantram

Passed Driver's Ed
took me fifteen minutes to swap out the head units and get carplay running. the RCD330 is a great unit, installation was a breeze.

TakmaN

Ready to race!
Do you guys recommend disconnecting the negative battery terminal prior to install or does it not really matter since no wires are being cut/spliced?

TakmaN

Ready to race!
I didn't disconnect the battery and it was fine.

Thanks!

Installed the HU, looks and functions great. The weird part is that I have the C210 bluetooth but I can't separately control Siri volume. Once siri activates and then it goes back to my music, the music is super loud (same volume level as siri). Any ideas?

manol

Professional Jerk
Ended up putting my RNS510 back in the car yesterday. I don't care what anyone says, the RCD330 doesn't sound as good as the RNS510...

All the life and energy came back into the music and it just sounded 'good' again. Noticed it immediately, there wasn't that weird absence in the mids, and the bass was much more 'confident'.

As much as I loved Android Auto, there were too many compromises. No dual FAKRA for FM, which meant reception wasn't as good, I love the steering wheel controls which you don't get with the RCD330, and I have AM radio back which I listen to on longer/more remote drives.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Ended up putting my RNS510 back in the car yesterday. I don't care what anyone says, the RCD330 doesn't sound as good as the RNS510...

All the life and energy came back into the music and it just sounded 'good' again. Noticed it immediately, there wasn't that weird absence in the mids, and the bass was much more 'confident'.

As much as I loved Android Auto, there were too many compromises. No dual FAKRA for FM, which meant reception wasn't as good, I love the steering wheel controls which you don't get with the RCD330, and I have AM radio back which I listen to on longer/more remote drives.

I did the same, you're not alone.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
My biggest problem is my phone. The USB receptacle is too loose to maintain the connection over big bumps, so it disconnects and connects again. Annoying as shit. Nothing to do with the head unit though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BroMoney

Passed Driver's Ed
Next update to Carplay will enable Google Maps/Wayze instead of Apple Maps. Makes upgrading to this unit from my RCD 310 very tempting.

msantram

Passed Driver's Ed
^ Looking forward to the next Carplay update. Apple Maps has improved significantly, though once you get hooked with Waze it is hard to go back.

FndrStrat06

Passed Driver's Ed
Apple Maps has improved significantly, though once you get hooked with Waze it is hard to go back.

Apple Maps has been absolutely fine for me, and I think the legitimate reasons to hate it have slipped into the distant past.

That said, I just can't get behind Waze tracking my location to spit location-based ads at me.

msantram

Passed Driver's Ed
Apple Maps has been absolutely fine for me, and I think the legitimate reasons to hate it have slipped into the distant past.

What I have gotten used to is the crowd-sourced reports on 5-0, road hazards, and traffic. Those are not available in Apple Maps, AFAIK. But Waze and Google Maps are coming to iOS 12: http://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/06/04/apple-carplay-google-maps-waze-support-ios-12/

That said, I just can't get behind Waze tracking my location to spit location-based ads at me.

I signed out of Waze and operate in semi-anonymous mode.

Last edited:

TakmaN

Ready to race!
So my head unit screen just totally froze today. It's stuck on the sound settings menu but still has notification pop-ups like when I plug and unplug my phone. Pressing anywhere on the screen does nothing and pressing the buttons does nothing except I can turn on/off the radio/media this way.

Anyone have any ideas on how to "reset" the head unit?

hieros49

Could someone who is registered at rcd330plus.com please please please do me a favor and get me a link to a firmware download or upload it to dropbox or something? I've been waiting over a week for a registration confirmation from the mods there.

I need the one labeled
if your unit Hw:541 5406 C210 Then download this firmware ( no need update with Y510 first )

located here http://rcd330plus.com/showthread.php?tid=315