GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FX400 going bad

Wood

Ready to race!
Is there anyone that hasn't had problems with their FX400?
I've got about 11k on mine and it's been tracked twice. The engagement point seems high, but it's always been that way I think. Just want to gauge how widespread this issue is...

kern417

Go Kart Champion
u20t, and i think zhijj had one that held for a while but it started slipping eventually. they both have big turbo setups.

anyone else with over 10k on theirs with no problems?

mathieu92

Ready to race!
Just a quick update on my situation.

I am still driving on the clutch, but on the "stock" program (vs 91).
My car is going in at my local tuner shop on Monday. They performed the original install. They are a reputable shop and I really think (and hope) that if the install was at fault they would cover the cost to fix.
They will give it a quick look, see if they can identify any problem on the hydraulic side. If nothing, they will take the clutch out.

I have contacted clutchmaster. They have been very responsive so far, and issued me a RMA number right away.
If the tuning shop doesnt see anything obvious that can be fixed (one can dream, right?), they will ship the clutch to clutch master for analysis and eventually rebuild.

All in all, I will be out of my car for most likely 2 weeks...
I'll keep you posted on further development!

mathieu92

Ready to race!
To follow up on the FX400 failure, my car went in the shop on Monday.
Engagement point was really high which seemed to indicate that the clutch disc was worn. They did pull it out, and it indeed was worn out.

Clutch was shipped to clutchmaster, who received it today. They invoked the normal wear and tear, the out of warranty and the fact that the FX400 should be used for racing mostly.
Like many others here, they proposed to rebuild it for a decent price, even with the above mentionned comments.
Overall they have been very nice and arranging.
I am still out of pocket on the labor cost and the temporary rental car cost.

So I will get it rebuilt to FX350, with a stronger pressure plate, and get it back in the car asap, crossing my fingers that it lasts longer.

If you are considering a new clutch for a mostly street driven car, you should look at the 350 more than at the 400...

BIG FAT UNCLE PAULY

Ready to race!

mathieu92

Ready to race!
Holy thread revival batman!

My rebuilt FX350 is starting to go out...
What is the consensus on clutch solutions nowadays? I could get it rebuilt again, but wonder if there are any better solutions.

Anybody moved away from clutchmaster? what did you go with? How is it holding (how many miles on it?)?

Go with HS Tuning RSR clutch kit. Or look at thread Calklin started on what parts you can source to build your own 'RSR' kit using Audi TT-RS or TT-S pressure plate.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I'm now at 35k miles with the RSR. Hasn't changed a bit since break-in.

butchered by autocorrecr

Holy thread revival batman!

My rebuilt FX350 is starting to go out...
What is the consensus on clutch solutions nowadays? I could get it rebuilt again, but wonder if there are any better solutions.

Anybody moved away from clutchmaster? what did you go with? How is it holding (how many miles on it?)?

If you end up wanting to rebuild your FX350 but with my Stage 3 full face disk or Stage 4 full face disk instead let me know and I can see what type of price I can work out for you.

This is my stage 3 disk

My Stage 4 disk