GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mountain bike thread

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
24 hours later, knee deep powder :)

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
I really need to move close to mountains...

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Moving here from Chicago is literally one of the best decisions I've ever made. It's been 2 years and it's impossible to overstate how awesome it is here.

jwal

Ready to race!
Man do I need to move west. I haven't been on either of my bikes for a while now. This weather and time change sucks here in PA. Those trails in Colorado makes me want to cry. They look so nice...

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Christmas came early! The motherload showed up today.

SRAM X01 shifter, cassette and rear derailleur

The machining and engineering on the cassette is insane

RaceFace Turbine cinch cranks

28t direct mount ring gear

Rockshox Pike RCT3 140mm fork

9mm quick release vs Maxle

Rockshox Pike RCT3 140mm fork, 32 hole WTB Frequency i25 29er rims, DT Swiss 240 6 bolt disk hubs, 15mm Maxle in front, 12x142 in the rear, SRAM 11 speed XD driver body, DT Swiss ProLock alloy nipples, DT Swiss Super Comp spokes, SRAM X01 11 speed shifter, SRAM X01 11 speed derailleur, SRAM X01 11 speed cassette, SRAM XX1 chain, RaceFace Turbine cinch crankset, RaceFace direct mount narrow wide 28t chain ring, Shimano XT hydraulic disc brakes, 180mm RT-86 Ice-tech front rotor, 160mm RT-86 Ice-tech rear rotor, and Shimano XT cageless SPD pedals.

DaButcher

Ready to race!
Lol could stuck with sram now that they have the direct mount. But race face is a solid product so you couldn't have gone wrong either way

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Serious question:
Why 1x11? It seems you limit your gear selection and especially low range considerably going to a 1x11 drivetrain vs a 2x10. More clearance for log overs? Just the simplicity of the drivetrain?

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Oh another question.... Tires....

I have a 29er. It needs new tires. I currently have Specialized Captain Controls. They're pretty decent. Roll fast and have good grip in hard cornering. They suck, big time, in the transition cornering, going from the center ridge to the aggressive side knobs, there's not enough knobs to make a smooth transition. You end up with a wash out feeling, its strange.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to getting the same tires, but I feel there are too many out there not to try something else.

I ride primarily loose over hardpack. A tire like a Kenda Small Block 8 would be a disaster. I also have to ride about 8 miles to/from the trailhead on paved bike paths, so a tire like a Purgatory or Nevegal would be a similar disaster. I need something that will roll pretty well, but bite in the corners. I hardly ever ride in the mud. I'd like these set up tubeless.

I was thinking:

Nobby Nics
Specialized Ground Controls
Maxxis Ignitors
Conti Mountain King front / X-king rear

Thoughts?

jwal

Ready to race!

I have a 29er. It needs new tires. I currently have Specialized Captain Controls. They're pretty decent. Roll fast and have good grip in hard cornering. They suck, big time, in the transition cornering, going from the center ridge to the aggressive side knobs, there's not enough knobs to make a smooth transition. You end up with a wash out feeling, its strange.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to getting the same tires, but I feel there are too many out there not to try something else.

I ride primarily loose over hardpack. A tire like a Kenda Small Block 8 would be a disaster. I also have to ride about 8 miles to/from the trailhead on paved bike paths, so a tire like a Purgatory or Nevegal would be a similar disaster. I need something that will roll pretty well, but bite in the corners. I hardly ever ride in the mud. I'd like these set up tubeless.

I was thinking:

Nobby Nics
Maxxis Ignitors

Thoughts?

I don't race and only ride for fun but I have tried a crap ton of tires. The trails I ride vary from silty clay, to hardpack, rare that I hit loose. I am currently riding a ground control in the front, with a mountain king in the rear. This is more aggressive for mud but I will probably leave this combo on. It seems to hold lines rather well. Sheds well too. Not that you ride a lot of mud, but for me, Ignitors held the mud but they rolled rather nice. So far, I think my favorite tire is the Mountain King as an all around tire. Its worked for me with 0 issues. I ran all this tires tubeless as well.

I hope my word vomit helped.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Serious question:
Why 1x11? It seems you limit your gear selection and especially low range considerably going to a 1x11 drivetrain vs a 2x10. More clearance for log overs? Just the simplicity of the drivetrain?

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/03/28...g-2x10-versus-1x11-mountain-bike-drivetrains/

You don't lose anything on the low end. 1x11 covers 18 gears of an XX 2x10 setup. You lose your two highest top end gears in exchange for no front shifter, no front derailleur, no cable housing, no extra chain ring, a more stable and reliable drivetrain an less weight. For me there's no downside, I don't race XC or ride fireroads where spinning out could potentially be an issue. I ride actual mountains with lots of elevation and currently I do it on a much narrower range 1x10 setup.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion

I was thinking:

Nobby Nics
Maxxis Ignitors

Thoughts?

Nics would be a good choice, I loved them but they don't hold up to the rocks terrain out here. I'm going to try a WTB Vigilante front with a Trail Boss rear for the new bike.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/03/28...g-2x10-versus-1x11-mountain-bike-drivetrains/

You don't lose anything on the low end. 1x11 covers 18 gears of an XX 2x10 setup. You lose your two highest top end gears in exchange for no front shifter, no front derailleur, no cable housing, no extra chain ring, a more stable and reliable drivetrain an less weight. For me there's no downside, I don't race XC or ride fireroads where spinning out could potentially be an issue. I ride actual mountains with lots of elevation and currently I do it on a much narrower range 1x10 setup.

Ah nice! A lot of our trails here are super steep short climbs. I'm talking about 200 ft elevation change before going back down into the valley. You need a decently low gear, but don't need it for very long. And I never ever use my top gears. Shifting into the big ring is a once-a-ride occurrence if that. Been debating a 2x setup for a while now for added log over clearance. Maybe when 1x cassettes get cheaper it will be a better option for me.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Nics would be a good choice, I loved them but they don't hold up to the rocks terrain out here. I'm going to try a WTB Vigilante front with a Trail Boss rear for the new bike.

Nics are $$ but maybe I'll give them a shot. Hear nothing but good things about Schwalbe tires.