GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suggestions on a set of good summer tires

BigLar11

So I've picked up my GTI about 2 years ago with about 1850mi on it and now its at around 18k and the OE Dunlop SP Sport 01s need replacing.

I was looking at the Dunlop Sport Maxx RTs (on tire rack of course :thumbsup:) since they're pretty affordable and have good reviews. But Im worried about their wear as a lot of people are saying they go fast and I don't feel like replacing them often.

I have winter tires so I was looking for a nice high performance summer tire that is relatively affordable and I just wanted to see what you guys thought was the best.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
I think Michelin PSS are the way to go. Awesome tread wear rating and unbeatable performance. Just not too sure if you may consider them out of the price range you're looking at.

BigLar11

I think Michelin PSS are the way to go. Awesome tread wear rating and unbeatable performance. Just not too sure if you may consider them out of the price range you're looking at.

Those might be a bit of a stretch but might be do-able. They're over 200 less than the OE ones (900 is mental for an all-season). I'll definitely look into it though! Thanks dude!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I need something in the 500-600 dollar range installed. PSS they want over 800 and Conti DW is around 730. (including certificates)

fkafady

Passed Driver's Ed
just rotate and you can squeeze over 15k miles EASY!
And trust me you will love those 10+ k miles :D

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
If the PSS are out of your budget then I would recommend the HTR ZIII. Best bang for your buck summer tire, I love mine. Might not have the same grip as the PSS but they do a hell of a job for such a cheap tire.

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
So I've picked up my GTI about 2 years ago with about 1850mi on it and now its at around 18k and the OE Dunlop SP Sport 01s need replacing.

I was looking at the Dunlop Sport Maxx RTs (on tire rack of course :thumbsup:) since they're pretty affordable and have good reviews. But Im worried about their wear as a lot of people are saying they go fast and I don't feel like replacing them often.

I have winter tires so I was looking for a nice high performance summer tire that is relatively affordable and I just wanted to see what you guys thought was the best.

You could always check out the Bridgestone RE760...better wear. You will give up some dry grip, but it is a great option for someone wanting a decent ride, relatively quiet and grippy summer tire with a bit better longevity. HTRZIII is a good recommendation as well (great steering response): more dry grip than the RE760, but with a little less longevity and a bit more noise.

zrickety

The Fixer
I had uneven wear on my Bridgestone potenzas, they were definitely noisy.

BigLar11

You could always check out the Bridgestone RE760...better wear. You will give up some dry grip, but it is a great option for someone wanting a decent ride, relatively quiet and grippy summer tire with a bit better longevity. HTRZIII is a good recommendation as well (great steering response): more dry grip than the RE760, but with a little less longevity and a bit more noise.

I was looking at a set of the RE760s but a lot of people said that they wore really fast and weren't that great all around.

What is your opinion on the new Dunlop Sport Maxx RTs?