GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Part #000051419 unboxing vid (VW / Helix Spare tire soundbox)

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
dang sorry dude.
honestly, dealers have no clue when it comes to anything audio on any cars it seems. sorry man, i would just take it to a dedicated audio shop if i were you. if you feel you cant handle it i shall say. i used to do car audio for a living, and countless times i would have dealerships send me cars.

Thanks. Going to see what my options are. I can probably do it myself, but I'm going to try to enlist the help of someone here in Pittsburgh to help out (they seem to know the MK6 inside and out).

jgarcia1925

Go Kart Champion
Thanks. Going to see what my options are. I can probably do it myself, but I'm going to try to enlist the help of someone here in Pittsburgh to help out (they seem to know the MK6 inside and out).

im sure someone is bound to help. i agree. it shouldnt take more than a 2 hours for this. 1.5 should be max

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
6 hours? no it takes maybe 1 to 2 hours tops. and that's being generous

the only question is whether or not you can use vag-com to code it.....its all plug and play really

I cant believe Cochran really quoted 6 hours...... they seem to be one of the usually better vw dealers around here....

Yeah and one other thing: The guy thought they were installing it in a Dynaudio equipped car, we make NO sense since the part is made specifically for base audio systems...

Did my 20k service there too. Hope they got that right...

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
I just called Day Apollo, and the guy is telling me it's 1.5 hour install (which is what VW lists as well). Told him to make sure and get back to me, after telling him what's probably involved in the install. This is getting irritating.

Seriously if Cochran just got spooked on the install of a freakin OEM accessory, color me unimpressed!

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
I can always help, im local to him

I appreciate that. I'm double checking with VW USA and another dealer (Day Apollo) to see what the guidance and expected install time is for this thing. Worst case we install it and just have the dealer program the DSP/AMP. Best case dealer comes back with solid non-ridiculous labor time understanding what's involved in the install (that way the labor would be guaranteed as well as the part).

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
here is some info for you:

Attachments

• helix subwoofer.jpg
    helix subwoofer.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 731

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
and some of the other stuff:

Attachments

• helix 2.jpg
    helix 2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 618
  • helix 3.jpg
    helix 3.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 557
  • helix 4.jpg
    helix 4.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 422
  • helix 5.jpg
    helix 5.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 503
  • helix 6.jpg
    helix 6.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 504

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
and some of the other stuff:

Thanks man. I actually have the manual (came with the part).

So, latest update! Talked to Day Apollo VW service multiple times today, and they said, after talking to their techs, that it would take 2.5 hours. HOWEVER, and this is a big however, they said that they will honor the VW guidance and only charge me for 1.5 hours, which is what I was told it would take originally :thumbup:. We'll see how that goes. Scheduled for end of this week.

Will update when it's done.

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
does it weigh more than the spare?

Forgot to answer this. Subjectively, the soundbox and amp seem to weigh more than the spare: probably 5 or so pounds more.

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
Sooooo UPDATE! They Installed it! It looks good too! It sounds good too! The balance of the sound changes since most of the lows get routed to the sub, which is behind you. I'll have a bit more of a review of it. Suffice it right now that it sounds like a good midrange audio setup rather than a high end one with high output amps (which I expected).

The installation also looks super clean, and Day only charged 1.5 hours labor (the VW guidance), despite it taking (let's see: appointment was 8:30am, and I didn't see the car back out till after 1pm...) well OVER 4 hours! Let's just say they did me a favor and I got a deal on labor. Talked to the tech that did most of the install: had to pull up carpetting, trim (including A-pillar trim), and the glove box, not mentioning the head unit itself. So yes, it was an involved install.

Gonna Listen to it for a couple weeks, then I'll put up a review. Hopefully my experience will be useful to someone out there!

jgarcia1925

Go Kart Champion
Sooooo UPDATE! They Installed it! It looks good too! It sounds good too! The balance of the sound changes since most of the lows get routed to the sub, which is behind you. I'll have a bit more of a review of it. Suffice it right now that it sounds like a good midrange audio setup rather than a high end one with high output amps (which I expected).

The installation also looks super clean, and Day only charged 1.5 hours labor (the VW guidance), despite it taking (let's see: appointment was 8:30am, and I didn't see the car back out till after 1pm...) well OVER 4 hours! Let's just say they did me a favor and I got a deal on labor. Talked to the tech that did most of the install: had to pull up carpetting, trim (including A-pillar trim), and the glove box, not mentioning the head unit itself. So yes, it was an involved install.

Gonna Listen to it for a couple weeks, then I'll put up a review. Hopefully my experience will be useful to someone out there!

Post pics! I'm sure many want to see it

Sent from my distraction device

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
Post pics! I'm sure many want to see it

Sent from my distraction device

I'll do that as soon as I get back out to my car. After all
:needpics:

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
just to be sure, i know this is for cars without Dynaudio but can it be used with cars that do have the Dynaudio?