GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Show Me Your Dash Cams!

Red_48

I didn't find anything usable in the headliner (was hoping to find a harness for a sunroof, but no joy), so I wound up running power all the way from my cig lighter/power outlet. I had already converted the outlet to run constant +12V, so I used the stock accessory +12V lead to power another socket tucked behind the dash for the included power adapter.

The fusebox is right below the left A pillar and a good place to usurp some power too. I've always hated fuse taps, so I avoid that if possible.

Thinking about hardwiring. Are there any guides on how to run wires inside the headliner, down the driver side pillar and into the fuse box?

Was considering this collection to get the job done:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-A11...p/B00NG84AT0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/Spy-Tec-Dash-...m_sbs_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ZXZ2T7TBMDPXN0TDF9N
or this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191471740316?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151119647434?lpid=82&chn=ps

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Just ordered the mobius V3 dashcam.
Will post some pics when it's installed.

Be sure to post those pics. I have a Mobius but never did find a good way to discreetly mount it in our cars. It's too long horizontally so I just went with a Street Guardian SG9665GC which is an A118/B40 with a higher quality lens for better day/night recordings. Much better than my standard A118 was. Standard A118 wasn't bad but definitely left something to be desired at night on darker roads.

Last edited:

ChancreScolex

Ready to race!
I bought the i1000 style dash cam (720p) about a year ago for myself and a coworker. The main reason I went with that model was the dual cam, and even though I mounted the rear cam to my back window I never got around to running the wire back there to hook it up.

When I initially bought mine I bought and returned 3 or 4 different ones because there are so many shitty ones out there. All the ebay listings look the same but some have really shitty firmware on them and others have nicer looking menus and function better overall. It's basically just a crap shoot, but once I got one that I liked I ordered the same one for my coworker.

I hardwired mine into the fuse panel with the 12v adapter and an add-a-fuse. Only hard part was removing and re-installing the side pillar.

Video quality was okay, but nothing really special. The rear cam quality is pretty terrible and you're definitely not catching any license plates. The camera I got has a defective battery so it does not charge. It operates fine but it won't stay on for more than a few seconds after I shut the car off. There are optional settings to keep it on for 3-5 minutes afterwards but I can't use them. It also will randomly shut off every couple days. I just turn it back on and it works fine again.

Something to be aware of if you are considering the i1000 type models is that a lot of them are now being listed as 1080p but you need to read through the full description because most of them still have 720p resolution.

I'm considering upgrading to the A118-C model (with the capacitor). The video quality looks much better (1080p) and I like that it's smaller and more discreet.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
If you're into dual channel recording, look into the K1S. There's an extensive review on YouTube by Techmoan out there. Tiny front and rear cameras with a central unit that can be placed anywhere in car. True 1080p on both ends. Yes it's pricier than the cheapie i1000 and a118 models that have been copied over and over by different people. After trying many models of dashcams, I've learned it's worth paying extra for a camera that isn't a copy of a copy off a copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

koctnk

Lukas 7900 ACE with a 64GB SDXC card.

+1 on Lukas. Have the same one with 128GB card but mounted a bit higher, right behind the mirror, so it's not interfering at all, and with an extended battery hidden in the fuse box. Runs for like 15 hrs on a busy street with the car off and you have the ability to set cut-off voltage to save car battery. Video quality is sweet with plenty of settings.

mobilecooltech

Ready to race!
How many of you are running front and rear cameras?

I am! I am using blackvue 750 version!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jshay

Go Kart Champion
Man I'm really on the fence on either the A118 or the SG9665GC. One is $80 , the other is $200. The SG definitely seems to have a lot more support and bunch of upgraded internals but damn that's steep for a dash cam.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Man I'm really on the fence on either the A118 or the SG9665GC. One is $80 , the other is $200. The SG definitely seems to have a lot more support and bunch of upgraded internals but damn that's steep for a dash cam.

I've had both. Very happy with the better picture and build quality of the SG. It really shines in the dark or at night VS the A118. Also has much better support with firmware updates, feature requests and on forums/emails with a local domestic seller.

Have you seen the picture quality comparison clip on Youtube?

There are some interesting options coming out these days though. Tiny front and rear 1080p cams that connect to a headunit which can be tucked away in the glove box.

All that said, the cheap A118 will do in most cases for sure. I still recommend those to all my friends unless you're a techy and appreciate/want the clearest picture.

jshay

Go Kart Champion
Did you go from the A118 to the SG or the other way around? The SG looks great at night though...