GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Left window switch

reedsposer22

Ready to race!
Help please,

My front left window does not roll down automatically anymore and then it has intermittently started to not roll the window up.

The last time was saturday, the switch did not respond to the roll up position, and after trying I stopped for 10 minutes and it finally worked. I have stopped using the left front window because of this.

Is there a way to scan this? Can my OBD2 connector pic this fault up?

Anyone know a price for replacing this motor at a dealer/ shop? I do not intend to DIY because VDUB electronic spook me.

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
Well I replaced the driver's side switch. $100ish and about an hour of my labor with no experience. Now the auto up and down works...most of the time. Fucking German gremlins, a majority of the time the driver's side switch will roll down the passenger's side. It auto ups and downs the rears 100% of the time. I guess I could take the door card off again and check the connection or something.

It's a minor annoyance but still an annoyance that I have to make sure my window rolled up or down.

I would assume an hours labor, because I imagine with the correct experience/tools this is an easy job.

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
I've replaced mine once already, too. There's something about VW window switches that leave much to be desired. I replaced the left and right switches in my New Beetle more times than I could count. Cheap plastic that can't stand up to the force that is needed to raise/lower the window.

With the GTI window switches, they either just plain wear out or get contaminated by rain water that drips into the switch when you have your window down when the water runs off the roof into the vehicle and settles in the switch. Not a hard job at all. Disconnect the battery before you start to eliminate the possibility of any shorts or blown fuses.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
don't order the Chinese ones off ebay...they are sporadic at best if they work

ShrekSquatch

Ready to race!
Funny, mine started doing the exact same thing, just the driver's front window. If I pull up REALLY HARD on the switch, the auto up works, but I have to give it serious effort. For me, it is very obvious it is the switch itself... Going to check Deutsche auto parts for the replacement cost

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
im on my second one that is now failing... I coded my car to do windows up from remote which still works, so when it acts up I just use my remote to close it. lol