GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Kenwood DDX9702s + Maestro

gjas181

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been wanting upgrade my Radio ever since I got my Mk6. The only two things that were holding me back were:

1. Retain factory features (OPS, MFD, etc)
2. Android Auto/Carplay functionality

The biggest of these being I want to retain my Nav directions in the MFD. Bluetooth is a non issue for me since I have an RNS-315 with a built in BT module. Gotta replace the Mic with one from Enfig (MIC-VW1) since with the radio gone there isn't a bluetooth module anymore.

Enter the idatalink Maestro RR http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79991

It performs all the factory integration with compatible radios. This Kenwood supports all the things I'm looking for such as displaying my OPS sensors and using the MFD for audio, BT, and Nav.

The DDX9702s and 9902s are Kenwood's first radios that support Android Auto. Pioneer had Android Auto in their NEX line first but does not support the full Maestro feature set, mainly the MFD and OPS portions.

Basically i'm starting this thread to track how compatible Android Auto is with the Maestro and the MFD functionality in our VW's. I'm hoping since Android Auto is much more integrated with the car than Carplay (supporting the vehicle GPS antenna, Mobile antenna, and various sensors) that it will send audio and nav data back to the radio and on to the MFD. I got the unit from crutchfield for $699 and they have a 60 day no questions asked return policy so if it doesnt work I'm out no money.

If anyone has done anything like this before I would love to hear how it worked out. If it all works Ill post pics and list all the parts required. This should be fairly easy vs fitting the towbar/electrics and Park Assist sensors that I've done previously to the car, haha.

Last edited:

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
you cant use the factory mic to give info to android auto, it is strictly for Bluetooth calling. So you will need to run the mic that comes with the radio for android auto or carplay to function correctly

titan253

Ready to race!
you cant use the factory mic to give info to android auto, it is strictly for Bluetooth calling. So you will need to run the mic that comes with the radio for android auto or carplay to function correctly

In that case, are there any reasons to retain the OEM mic when going aftermarket? Is it a better quality mic than what comes with any of the aftermarket HUs?

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
I gotta be honest, the factory mic is better than the aftermarket ones, but if your going after carplay or android auto, and want a full integration with those units, you will need to run the aftermarket mic.......... the maestro will continue to integrate everything else as normal, but the mic wont be able to control the voice commands and talk functions of carplay and android auto

titan253

Ready to race!
I gotta be honest, the factory mic is better than the aftermarket ones, but if your going after carplay or android auto, and want a full integration with those units, you will need to run the aftermarket mic.......... the maestro will continue to integrate everything else as normal, but the mic wont be able to control the voice commands and talk functions of carplay and android auto

Interesting, thanks!

Lowtec Derbo

Passed Driver's Ed

Hey Mr Tech Guru,

I have a 2012 w/ the RNS315. I believe the Bluetooth is integrated into this system. Is there any extra hardware require to get one of these bad boys installed?

My main goals is to have androidauto/carplay on the vehicle. From what I see, it looks like the phone needs to be directly plugged in to the HU for these features to work. Does the HU have two cables coming out of it so it can do both? I'm curious as my gf has an iPhone and I have an Android device and it would be awesome to switch to hers or mine whenever we want to with minimal fuss.

Probably install something like this into the Kenwood?

http://www.doubleapex.co/collection...ducts/usb_passthrough_usb01?variant=338862738

Last edited:

gjas181

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Mr Tech Guru,

I have a 2012 w/ the RNS315. I believe the Bluetooth is integrated into this system. Is there any extra hardware require to get one of these bad boys installed?

My main goals is to have androidauto/carplay on the vehicle. From what I see, it looks like the phone needs to be directly plugged in to the HU for these features to work. Does the HU have two cables coming out of it so it can do both? I'm curious as my gf has an iPhone and I have an Android device and it would be awesome to switch to hers or mine whenever we want to with minimal fuss.

Probably install something like this into the Kenwood?

http://www.doubleapex.co/collection...ducts/usb_passthrough_usb01?variant=338862738

Yes thats what you need. Just a plain old USB cable to the Kenwood. You will also need to replace the factory mic with either the one that comes with the Kenwood or the one I listed in my post.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
please note to use the carplay and android auto to its full extent, you will need to add the microphone it comes with, as we only communicate with the Bluetooth in the vehicle for using the factory mic, not the carplay or android auto application. that's why you have to run the mic. for that feature set.

titan253

Ready to race!
Is there any way to wire the factory mic into the HU rather than using the Kenwood one? If it can be done, is it too involved to be worth it?

gjas181

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally tested out the Kenwood and everything works except Navigation in the MFD which is very disappointing. I guess I will return it and wait for Kenwood to put out a navigation unit that supports Android Auto.

I wonder how VW themselves will deal with Android Auto/carplay with the MIB II units later this year in the MK7. Maybe Google doesn't even pass the data required for this kind of feature yet.

Lowtec Derbo

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally tested out the Kenwood and everything works except Navigation in the MFD which is very disappointing. I guess I will return it and wait for Kenwood to put out a navigation unit that supports Android Auto.

I wonder how VW themselves will deal with Android Auto/carplay with the MIB II units later this year in the MK7. Maybe Google doesn't even pass the data required for this kind of feature yet.

:(

Glad you posted this. I was almost ready to jump into this. Shame you cant use the factory mic.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
did you unplug the compass module? oh wait a sec....its not a nav unit though....... because it relies on the phone mapping

scsikid

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry to bring this up from the dead. Is it possible to use the factory bluetooth/mic to make phone calls?

Is it possible to use the aftermarket kenwood microphone for all the speech to text functions. I get a tonne of google talk and sms messages while I drive and would like to be able to respond to them without taking my hands off the wheel.

socal580

I just purchased the Kenwood DDX9702s, and will be installing it in my son's 2011 Golf 2.5. The car does not have any steering wheel controls. Is there any benefit to installing the Maestro unit? At this time, I plan to install using the PAC C2R-VW2. I want to be able to use the KW unit to its fullest, but no point in any steering wheel integration. Thanks.