GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Loud screeching noise from engine bay

DaButcher

Ready to race!
So we started getting this loud screeching sound from the engine bay. At first it was only when in boost but now it does it at start up aswell. Yet, not inbetween idle and boost. Its not as high pitch as the water pump failure, and its not the TOB(just replaced and different sound). Any ideas? at first i thought it had to bee a boost leak somewhere but then when it started doing it at idle it got more confusing.
Thinks for any help.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
I would venture to guess a boost leak OR the dv is leaking.

My car makes a loud scream/screech sound when I am in boost past 4k rpm.

I just took delivery of a dv+ and I will see within a couple days if that fixed the issue or not.

mattsc

Is it anything like a loud whistle noise upon acceleration? I have that right now and cant seem to find whats causing it.. I also hear it during cold starts in the morning for like 5 seconds then it goes away. It seems to be coming from the left side of the engine as well.. any suggestions?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Are you guys CBFA with aftermarket intakes? Could the start up "whistle" be from your guys secondary air filter... iirc that only sucks in on initial start up.

If youre hearing a whistle/flute noise around 3k-4k rpm (and you have a open style intakes...) its normal its just the harmonics of having a open style intake.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
To OP.. Besides my other reply... Did you check for boost leaks?
I think i read somewhere that a bad PCV could cause some whistle noises at idle... but that im not completely sure on.

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Are you guys CBFA with aftermarket intakes? Could the start up "whistle" be from your guys secondary air filter... iirc that only sucks in on initial start up.

If youre hearing a whistle/flute noise around 3k-4k rpm (and you have a open style intakes...) its normal its just the harmonics of having a open style intake.

i'm cbfa and have been chasing a whistle noise like this with very similar symptoms for a year, boost leak tested, did the four o-rings in the intake track, new PCV (which was bad).

just did my trans shifter last night and S3 short shifter, found that the output pipe from the secondary air pump to the combi valve right below the vacuum pump is cracked in one place and completely severed in another spot. Just started getting a P2440: "Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Open Bank 1". About the same time I started getting this code the whistling has nearly been gone, before that I had P0420 for the year or so that i've been chasing it. Ordered that SAI output hose today, will update if that resolves my whistling and codes, maybe yours has something to do with this as well

sauceman101

Ready to race!
To OP.. Besides my other reply... Did you check for boost leaks?
I think i read somewhere that a bad PCV could cause some whistle noises at idle... but that im not completely sure on.

Also, you'll know if your PCV is bad, the car was unlivable, rpms jumping everywhere at idle, and a horrendous screech.

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
My friggen F23T makes sounds like a screaming dragon as it slays all!!

mattsc

Where is this out pipe? Can you post pictures of the hose that was severed? Maybe thats where it is coming from, as the sound seems to be on the left side of the car.