GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wiring Amp with LOC

ribtits

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, after reading through pages of the "DIY: Sub & Amp Install" and "Stealth Box. Sub/Amp/Box install. DIY. *lots of pictures*" threads, I'm still a bit confused about setting this up (First car wiring job for me). I modified a wiring diagram I found on google, so I have the exact same amp/loc/head unit as shown in the pictures (EDIT: The PBR300x4 shown in the wiring diagram should really be PBR300x1). Sub is TSSW251, RMS: 200 watts, 4 ohms

I'm confused as to how to wire the amp/loc to the head unit. After reading through the DIY threads, I figured that the system should be wired as so:
Wiring Method #1
(EDIT: The PBR300x4 shown in the wiring diagram should really be PBR300x1)
lc2i.amp.png

However, after reading other forums/watching this video(https://youtu.be/wi3L0XhHJK8?t=259), I now believe that the system should be wired like this:
Wiring Method #2
(EDIT: The PBR300x4 shown in the wiring diagram should really be PBR300x1)
lc2i2.amp.png

Wiring Method #2 seems to make more sense to me. Using this method, it looks as though the stock speakers and the sub are being amplified. Wiring method #1 looks as though only the sub is being amplified. Sorry if this assumption seems stupid, I'm really a novice when it comes to stereo systems.

Another question I have is after installing the system, how should I tweak the settings for the best sound (I listen to every genre, so looking for an all-in-one setting)? Do I just turn down the base on my RCD-310 headunit's equalizer? Set AccuBass/Main/Bass to middle on the Lc2i? Set Gain to middle on the Rockford amp?

Last question, I'm thinking about upgrading to one of those Eonon headunits in the far future. When I do, can I just leave my set up as is with the Lc2i, even though the Eonon headunit has RCA ports? FYI, the Eonon is plug and play.

Audiomaster veedoubleme, please help

Last edited:

xtant3150

Ready to race!
Method 1 would only amplify the sub, and the mains would still run from your head unit (which is what a lot of people do). However, if you only have one sub, the 4 channel amp would not be the way to go. You'd need to use the PBR300x1 or 500x1.

While method 2 would work, the amp only appears to run in 2 or 4 channel mode. You'd need 3 channel mode (one set stereo for mains, other set mono for sub). Also, your rear speakers would be amplified and the fronts would still run from the deck. I'd tap the fronts and amplify the fronts and sub then leave the rears on the deck if you go this method.

As far as the Eonon upgrade, you can pull the LOC out of the system as the new deck will have preamp (RCA) outputs as well as a remote turn on lead. Just send those directly to the amp and you'll be set.

xtant3150

Ready to race!
oh one last thing, the 12V+ and ground leads on the LOC will need to go to the battery and chassis ground as well, not to the amp. Only the remote turn on lead goes from the LOC to the amp.

ribtits

Passed Driver's Ed
Method 1 would only amplify the sub, and the mains would still run from your head unit (which is what a lot of people do). However, if you only have one sub, the 4 channel amp would not be the way to go. You'd need to use the PBR300x1 or 500x1.

While method 2 would work, the amp only appears to run in 2 or 4 channel mode. You'd need 3 channel mode (one set stereo for mains, other set mono for sub). Also, your rear speakers would be amplified and the fronts would still run from the deck. I'd tap the fronts and amplify the fronts and sub then leave the rears on the deck if you go this method.

As far as the Eonon upgrade, you can pull the LOC out of the system as the new deck will have preamp (RCA) outputs as well as a remote turn on lead. Just send those directly to the amp and you'll be set.

Thanks a lot for the response. I actually have the PBR300x1, mistakenly put PBR300x4 on the wiring diagram. Looks like I am stuck with using method 1. For the Eonon, I was wondering if I could just leave the Lc2i in the setup without it causing any problems. Leaving the Lc2i in would be a lot easier than running a new set of RCA cables to the head unit.

ribtits

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks everyone for the help. I'll be using method 1. And if I get an Eonon unit in the future, I'll leave the Lc2i in.

Still wondering about my second question:

Another question I have is after installing the system, how should I tweak the settings for the best sound (I listen to every genre, so looking for an all-in-one setting)? Do I just turn down the base on my RCD-310 headunit's equalizer? Set AccuBass/Main/Bass to middle on the Lc2i? Set Gain to middle on the Rockford amp?

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
no one can answer that question, its impossible. it is up to YOU to set that up. no 2 people hear alike, and like the same sound...some people are close to liking the same thing...you should be able to see where this is going.....

Rockford amp I just put in for my neighbor, I actually have the gain about 1/8th turn from all the way down, I measured the voltage of the Sony Double Din and matched the input gain on the amp to that.... ( that's the real reason for a gain btw)

bulletproofskin9

Passed Driver's Ed
oh one last thing, the 12V+ and ground leads on the LOC will need to go to the battery and chassis ground as well, not to the amp. Only the remote turn on lead goes from the LOC to the amp.

Are you sure the amp can't act as a jumper for the LOC?

aregister

Ready to race!
Are you sure the amp can't act as a jumper for the LOC?

Yes, thats what I did. My LoC power is tapped into the main power that goes to the amp at the same power inlet to the amp. as long as the lc2i has power and the remote out goes to the amp, you should be good. but make sure you have organized your speaker taps + and - etc.