GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is this a good plan for mods?

BigLar11

Well you have to have the downpipe on before the tune.

If you do the downpipe way in advance and drive for weeks and thousands of miles, you'll probably eventually throw a code. Chances are it will be a P0420 code. You can still drive the car but you'll need to get 02 spacer(s) to pull the sensor out of the gas stream a bit to trick the sensor. If you have emissions testing you will need to do this. If not then you can just set to stage 2 and drive as it will turn off the CEL for emissions.

Do you think it be best to get the downpipe and install it closer to when I get the tune (in July)?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Also before you get the tune, get better tires. Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's seem to be a forum favorite for (truly) "Ultra High Performance All Seasons." If you've got the cash for summers/care to get them, get Michelin Pilot Super Sports. If you're not taking your car to a track, then the AS3's ~should~ suffice for all intensive purposes.

zrickety

The Fixer
I have a downpipe I would sell cheap. Don't know shipping cost but pm me if you want to find out.

BigLar11

Also before you get the tune, get better tires. Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's seem to be a forum favorite for (truly) "Ultra High Performance All Seasons." If you've got the cash for summers/care to get them, get Michelin Pilot Super Sports. If you're not taking your car to a track, then the AS3's ~should~ suffice for all intensive purposes.

Not a bad plan at all. Good way to do it on the cheap. Just don't overlook the benefits of good tires to go with the added power.

Edit:pLF8593 beat me to it!

Tires are definite must! The OE Dunlop all seasons I have on now are starting to wear and are even forming little cracks on the wall of the tire.

I was looking at either the Dunlop Direzzas or the Continental ExtremeContact (my brother and a buddy of mine both have the Conti's and love them). I would love the Pilot Super Sports but they're so much money :(

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
You can still drive the car but you'll need to get 02 spacer(s) to pull the sensor out of the gas stream a bit to trick the sensor. If you have emissions testing you will need to do this. If not then you can just set to stage 2 and drive as it will turn off the CEL for emissions.

If you get the stage 2 software from just about any company, it will set the O2 sensor and possible the cat sensor to Not Ready and it won't be read when you go for emissions testing. In most places a not ready message for anything in the 02 department is an automatic fail so you will need to switch back to stock mode to pass emissions. Make sure you do this a few hundred miles before testing so your car can go through a few cycles to set itself to readiness.

If you're not taking your car to a track, then the AS3's ~should~ suffice for all intensive purposes.

The phrase is supposed to be "for all intents and purposes". So shocking how many people get this wrong.

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
it does suck about SPM, I have their turboback and intercooler, both work great, but I would avoid them too in case you have issues.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Tires are definite must! The OE Dunlop all seasons I have on now are starting to wear and are even forming little cracks on the wall of the tire.

I was looking at either the Dunlop Direzzas or the Continental ExtremeContact (my brother and a buddy of mine both have the Conti's and love them). I would love the Pilot Super Sports but they're so much money :(

Continental ExtremeContact, I have those and i love them. Plus they come up 200-300 cheaper than PSS.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
I'm planning on going Stage 2 at some point next year as well (waiting because RSR clutch costs $$$), but I already bought my downpipe. I went with the AWE one due to the fact that it has 2 o2 spacers preinstalled and is the only downpipe that won't throw a code. That said, it is on the pricey side, but at least I can install it now and not have to worry about it ever again. I happened to score a deal on mine, but brand new from a supplier they run about $809 + tax and shipping. I would try and see if you could source a used one from someone. Otherwise, you can always get a downpipe from a different company and try playing with the spacers on your own.

handisnacks

Ready to race!
I'm planning on going Stage 2 at some point next year as well (waiting because RSR clutch costs $$$), but I already bought my downpipe. I went with the AWE one due to the fact that it has 2 o2 spacers preinstalled and is the only downpipe that won't throw a code.
Almost any downpipe will NOT throw code as long as you have some variant of Cat in there along with spacers for the o2 sensors.

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
Almost any downpipe will NOT throw code as long as you have some variant of Cat in there along with spacers for the o2 sensors.

Actually the way the system works is the O2 sensors will read the amount of flow past 1 versus 2 and if the Lambda is greater (or less) then what the software (flash) allows for, the CEL will come up. The third party software is written to allow for a revised amount of air flow. The O2 spacers move the tip of the sensor away from the flow, with the hopes that they don't see too much of the airflow.

I have had 200 cell cats throw codes, added a spacer, was good for a while, then the came back. The only real way to make sure that they don't show up is to have the software written to allow for the flow that your cat (or no cat) is allowing through.

handisnacks

Ready to race!
I'm assuming most tunes have that written in then, otherwise people would all be hitting CEL's at Stage 1 with a downpipe and spacers, and they don't, so it must work somehow.

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
I'm assuming most tunes have that written in then, otherwise people would all be hitting CEL's at Stage 1 with a downpipe and spacers, and they don't, so it must work somehow.

I am sure they do, my friend owns a shop that does a lot of custom tuning. He explained it to me in the most dumbed down way he could.

He is trying to convince me to go straight to Stage 2 with a downpipe, not sure I want another smelly, loud, race car, I could have kept my last car if I wanted that.:thumbup:

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
I already posted this at the top of the page, but most tuners just set the 02 Catalyst monitor's readiness to Not Ready instead of writing code to allow more flow in the sensor. It's cheaper and far faster and leaves room for them to make more money when you have to buy the 02 sensor.