GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB Intake review

JS12

Ready to race!
What are the trim % readings on this intake?

Mine are all over the place, but I'm currently working with COBB to see what it might be. LTFT at idle is around .95 but it jumps up to 1.15 while cruising. I'm not sure if it's installer error (me), bad gas, or something else yet.

Probably a dumb question, but when installing the silicone reducer elbow onto the turbo itself, how far down should I push it? I noticed some metal ridges on the side of the turbo housing (one on the passenger side facing the fender). Should I stop there and tighten the worm clamp, or jam it on as far as I can?

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
Mine are all over the place, but I'm currently working with COBB to see what it might be. LTFT at idle is around .95 but it jumps up to 1.15 while cruising. I'm not sure if it's installer error (me), bad gas, or something else yet.

Probably a dumb question, but when installing the silicone reducer elbow onto the turbo itself, how far down should I push it? I noticed some metal ridges on the side of the turbo housing (one on the passenger side facing the fender). Should I stop there and tighten the worm clamp, or jam it on as far as I can?
You can check trim levels via vcds, I'd be interested to know the readings, oem intake is +- 5% some aftermarket intakes are much higher and can cause cell. The tube should rest against the lip of the turbo, it ensures there's enough turbo to have the c-clamp hold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

JS12

Ready to race!
Thanks. It sounds like I might need to pull the hose up a bit and re-tighten the worm clamp. It's just frustrating because it seems pretty straightforward but I've made several attempts so I'm still wondering if it's some other issue.

Forgive my ignorance, but are the LTFT readings off of the Accessport different than what I'd see using VCDS? I thought the .95 - 1.15 correspond to 95% - 115%.

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
Thanks. It sounds like I might need to pull the hose up a bit and re-tighten the worm clamp. It's just frustrating because it seems pretty straightforward but I've made several attempts so I'm still wondering if it's some other issue.

Forgive my ignorance, but are the LTFT readings off of the Accessport different than what I'd see using VCDS? I thought the .95 - 1.15 correspond to 95% - 115%.
Never used Cobb before but if your getting a variance of 15% trim then that's very bad. I couldn't run something with greater than 8%. Unfortunately many poorly designed intakes for mk6 run this way. There are threads on it and how to check it, you can find them with a quick search.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
All of my data logs show a max difference of 99-105

Most are 99-102 in variance

JS12

Ready to race!
All of my data logs show a max difference of 99-105

Most are 99-102 in variance

Good to know. I'm going to reinstall the stock air box tonight and inspect the COBB to see if there might be an issue with the intake itself. I'm 85% confident that the install is correct.

JS12

Ready to race!
I got my stock airbox reinstalled. In the process of removing the COBB intake, I re-checked all connections and didn't see any issues. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary inspecting the pipe or hoses either.

After switching back to a Stage 1 map and driving for a few miles, my LTFT numbers started going down. I drove for a few more miles and it never went above 1.00. As mentioned before, LTFT would swing wildly with the COBB intake installed, and sat around 1.15-1.20 with any throttle applied or while cruising.

I'm going to check in with COBB to see if they have any other suggestions. Unfortunately, with family/job duties, I don't have a lot of time to tinker with my car. If COBB isn't able to pinpoint any issue, I'll likely try to return it to the online shop.

Is anyone else running Stage 1+ and had issues with fuel trims? I'm wondering if there's some issue with those particular maps.

Last edited:

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Here is my latest log of my STFT and LTFT

JS12

Ready to race!
I got a response back from COBB that suggested I may have a leak as others have previously mentioned. I'm too impatient to be scientific about these things so I reinstalled the COBB with the airflow straightener as suggested by one of the tuners here who is also testing it out. My LTFT and STFT numbers are rock solid once again (LTFT ~ 0.97-1.02). The idle is much smoother and the car pulls hard running on the Stage 1+ 93 map.

So the variables are:

- Installer error
- Some possible change in the v1.02 maps that I downloaded and the version that ships with the latest firmware update
- Installation of the honeycomb airflow straightener

I was actually making more boost on the stock airbox yesterday but my MAF readings are higher now with the COBB ~211 g/s. It's probably a combination of the crazy TX weather and not having had enough time to adapt. Either way, I'm a happy camper now. :happyanim:

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Great news man!

TRBO FRK

Ready to race!
I got a response back from COBB that suggested I may have a leak as others have previously mentioned. I'm too impatient to be scientific about these things so I reinstalled the COBB with the airflow straightener as suggested by one of the tuners here who is also testing it out. My LTFT and STFT numbers are rock solid once again (LTFT ~ 0.97-1.02). The idle is much smoother and the car pulls hard running on the Stage 1+ 93 map.

So the variables are:

- Installer error
- Some possible change in the v1.02 maps that I downloaded and the version that ships with the latest firmware update
- Installation of the honeycomb airflow straightener

I was actually making more boost on the stock airbox yesterday but my MAF readings are higher now with the COBB ~211 g/s. It's probably a combination of the crazy TX weather and not having had enough time to adapt. Either way, I'm a happy camper now. :happyanim:

Can you please give me a link to the Airflow straightener your using. I think it would be beneficial for everyone.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
The treadstone is a favorite of mine. Plus only $20

Just google Treadstone MAF straightener