GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
meanwhile i can't even get the balance shaft out. i can't find a tool to reach the pulley bolt on on the water pump side.

It's just a 12mm wrench. It's also reverse thread. I removed that bolt first because I knew it was going to be a bitch. I used the counterhold tool wedged against the floor to stop the motor from turning while I loosened it. It was on there TIGHT.

Charles@NGP

Ready to race!
Well, I bought this shortblock used with rods already in it. I pulled the pan's and checked the bearings before I installed it and they looked fine. When I started having these issues I changed all of the main and rod bearings. And then finally just changed the balance shafts.

Mine did spin freely, but you could feel a rough spot. Another thing to note and I'm glad you posted a picture.. The most updated shafts don't have the reliefs cut in the back like you see in your picture. It's one complete circle.

How did you know yours was failing? That's another funny thing.. my pan has been off a billion times since this started and it has always been clean as a whistle. Absolutely nothing in it. I swapped pumps at some point too. But all is good now. 40 miles or so on it now and it's going well!

I should clarify, mine was spinning freely as in it was able to spin around by hand without stopping, but it did have a rough spot just like you described. If you would move turn it by hand you could feel the resistance on the shaft in one particular spot.

I also checked the main bearings, camshaft assemblies, rod bearings, etc after finding very slight aluminum shavings in the pickup tube. You can actually see where the shavings came from on the balance shaft from where it ground down slightly.

The reason I checked the pickup tube in the first place was because my oil pressure light randomly started coming on a few months prior, but never came back on after replacing the switch. Then it started to randomly come on again even though initially the oil pressure tests came back positive.

I decided to do a complete oil system flush and then check the oil pressure again, since we could only get the low oil pressure at RPMs that would just outright lug the engine (like 1,200 RPM in 3rd gear). We also found the shavings after flushing the system out.

The motor has done about 2,000 miles since the rebuild and doesn't have any signs of any issues anymore.

I'm really hoping that balance shaft failure doesn't become a common occurrence. It's bad enough seeing several TSIs getting destroyed by the faulty tensioners on a weekly basis and having to talk to the owners about it after it's failed.

It's just a 12mm wrench. It's also reverse thread. I removed that bolt first because I knew it was going to be a bitch. I used the counterhold tool wedged against the floor to stop the motor from turning while I loosened it. It was on there TIGHT.

YESSSSS! That bolt was an absolute pain to remove.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Well, for the one day I got to drive my car before it got impaled by flying shingles in a wind storm that made my whole front end need a re-spray it worked really well post balance shaft replacement. Oil pressure is good. No other issues. As soon as I get the front pieces resprayed I think it may be time to flash my meth file back on and fill the tanks back up! 20 psi and low timing is not nearly as fun as 30psi and a lot of timing :)

Side note, I think I want to make this thing a little louder. I currently have 3" straight to a magnaflow cat-back (no cat) with just a single muffler. I was thinking of cutting the magnaflow out and welding in a vibrant resonator. Any thoughts? I really wanted to do a cutout, but I just don't think it'll work. I have a brace similar to the Unibrace UB that I made myself, so that removes all of that space for a cutout, and in any other location I just think it'll hang too low and end up getting ripped off. If anyone has any hints as to a resonator/muffler or where I could put a cutout it'd be greatly appreciated!

kern417

Go Kart Champion

its a triple square (forgot exact size) or a 13mm i believe. they are are reverse threaded. found that out the hard way.

yeah i 1. don't have a long enough wrench so have to build a jungle gym just to get enough leverage and 2. the end of my box wrench barely fits on it and i just feel like i'm going to round the corners and really be fucked.

Side note, I think I want to make this thing a little louder. I currently have 3" straight to a magnaflow cat-back (no cat) with just a single muffler. I was thinking of cutting the magnaflow out and welding in a vibrant resonator. Any thoughts? I really wanted to do a cutout, but I just don't think it'll work. I have a brace similar to the Unibrace UB that I made myself, so that removes all of that space for a cutout, and in any other location I just think it'll hang too low and end up getting ripped off. If anyone has any hints as to a resonator/muffler or where I could put a cutout it'd be greatly appreciated!

right now i'm straight through except apr res and it's really loud. i think it's the best setup. it'll make the sound deeper and louder.

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
ok so finalizing everything with the top mount and working on the intake. is there a specified distance the MAF housing should be placed after the filter or can i basically just go MAF housing -> silicone coupler -> velocity stack -> filter? or does the ecu not like this? going to be using stock maf housing

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
can i basically just go MAF housing -> silicone coupler -> velocity stack -> filter? or does the ecu not like this? going to be using stock maf housing

That's exactly how I have it and I haven't had any issues. If you look at my engine bay pic on the last page you can see it. The filter is a 6" on a 6-3" velocity stack -->Coupler --> MAF --> rest of intake to turbo.

As long as you use the factory housing and don't have a big bend before or after it you're fine!

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
yeah i 1. don't have a long enough wrench so have to build a jungle gym just to get enough leverage and 2. the end of my box wrench barely fits on it and i just feel like i'm going to round the corners and really be fucked.

right now i'm straight through except apr res and it's really loud. i think it's the best setup. it'll make the sound deeper and louder.

Just make sure to get the wrench straight on and kind of steady it with your other hand as you pull up. I just used a regular Craftsman wrench. Also, I think your motor is out..is your trans also off? There is a freeze plug looking thing on the back side of the motor that the trans would normally cover that you could also pop out and then just use a triple square socket.

I'll have to look into the resonator. I think that's the route I'm going to go. Thanks for the feedback!

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
That's exactly how I have it and I haven't had any issues. If you look at my engine bay pic on the last page you can see it. The filter is a 6" on a 6-3" velocity stack -->Coupler --> MAF --> rest of intake to turbo.

As long as you use the factory housing and don't have a big bend before or after it you're fine!

awesome! basically doing the same. no bends.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Picked this thing up a few weeks ago because I needed a new daily. Unmolested, bone stock 09 335i with 85k miles. Got it for 12k.

I noticed a slight rattle coming from one of the wastegates. Naturally, I had to pull the stock turbos and replace them with a 6466.

Anthony is an ok welder

Bolts right up to the stock exhaust

Installing JB4

MHD flash done with my tablet.

All done in one weekend

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
"Buys a daily, now needs a new daily."

For one, you sir are crazy! And for two, GOD DAMN! That looks awesome. Have you dyno'd yet?

drepai

Go Kart Champion
"Buys a daily, now needs a new daily."

For one, you sir are crazy! And for two, GOD DAMN! That looks awesome. Have you dyno'd yet?

Lol, thank you sir!

No dyno yet just lots and lots of logging. So far the motor seems pretty happy at 17 psi on 91 octane. It's probably making around 500whp. Just need a clutch and fueling to run e85 and turn it up to 750+