GOLFMKV

stage 1 tune - acceptable knock? datalog attached

lleron

Ready to race!

markgbe

Passed Driver's Ed
Can you get some better gas? Or add 1 gal of e85 to your tank

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This 93 I am using is the best around but there may be some 100 octane around . I'll try the e85 thing in the mean time. Thanks

brobst

Go Kart Champion
You are also up north where gas is different in the winter/summer.
You can try what I said above, or just wait till summer gas and see if its better

markgbe

Passed Driver's Ed
You are also up north where gas is different in the winter/summer.
You can try what I said above, or just wait till summer gas and see if its better

Yeah i'll give that a shot. I datalogged in today, just normal driving and zero knock, so it doesn't seem like i'm at risk of blowing the engine at the present time.

Thanks again!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
up to -3 knock is completely normal for our cars.

markgbe

Passed Driver's Ed
up to -3 knock is completely normal for our cars.

yeah, was reading that on some threads. Some people were mentioning that if it occurs consistently on multiple cylinders and at certain RPM ranges, that it might need to be addressed.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Ive heard -3 is acceptable as well. Mine only tends to show a little knock -.75-2.25 around the 3800-4800 rpm range though at WOT

adema69

Ready to race!
What are your mods? -3 is acceptable most bench tunes will run that as they run aggressive timing. When your in the -4 to -6 range is when you want to start worrying. Adding a gallon of e85 will most likely do nothing if not cause more knock or timing to be pulled.

add some water methanol kit to your system and will help bring those numbers down a ton.

markgbe

Passed Driver's Ed
What are your mods? -3 is acceptable most bench tunes will run that as they run aggressive timing. When your in the -4 to -6 range is when you want to start worrying. Adding a gallon of e85 will most likely do nothing if not cause more knock or timing to be pulled.

add some water methanol kit to your system and will help bring those numbers down a ton.

Only mod is r8 coils, bone stock otherwise

zef

Drag Racing Champion

This.

I switched to Sunoco or Shell 93 only and my knock went away completely. No more Cumberland Farms/Citgo/Valero etc etc

wmssbr10

Passed Driver's Ed
This.

I switched to Sunoco or Shell 93 only and my knock went away completely. No more Cumberland Farms/Citgo/Valero etc etc

But Cumby's has 1 buck coffee! Weird this thread shows up as I've noticed more -3 events than normal but last fill was Cumby's.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Adding a gallon of e85 will most likely do nothing if not cause more knock or timing to be pulled.

I agree with the might do nothing part, but when I add 3 gallons of E85 to my fillup from time to time depending on where I am, the car runs much better on the same tune. It's common knowledge that adding E85 increases octane to a modest degree, but adding 1 gallon would mayyybe raise the octane 0.5 points. Will definitely NOT cause more knock or timing pull, that you can be sure of.