GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

245/40 on 18x8.5 ET45

Stemmy

Currently running a 225/50 on 17x7 ET54. Stock suspension. No intention on lowering. Tire height looks good by me and fills the gap.

Finally got the freedom after 6 years to do some mods on my 2012. Went K04.

I realize now lots of MK6 folks have sold their cars and left. None the less, hoping to reach someone who has first hand experience.

I've searched for many hours!!

I see the MK7's running 245/40/18. Need to know if I can do the same on a the MK6. 245/40/18 will be shorter than the 225/50/17, but wider and the offset with the 8.5" wheel will change the game too.

Any advice or first hand experience? Will the 245/40/18 on a 8" ET45 be better than the 8.5" ET45?

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
You're running 50 series tires with offset of 54? Do you rub? I guess if you are stock you wont. Why such a thick sidewall? Most run a 45 series.

Anywhooo... i run 225/40/18 on 8.5 rim ET 35 so i have crazy poke and a bit of a stretch.

I think the set up you wanna run will bring ur rim/tire closer to your suspension.. think u will poke more as well due to rim and tire size increase.. pretty sure you're gonna throw ur spedo out.

Dartregor

Ready to race!
Not positive but im running 225/40r18 18x8.5 et42. If i remember correctly, when i test mounted the rim at full lock it was kinda close to the control arm. Now at et 45 its only 3mm closer inside the wheel well so i cant imagine it will rub. but your poke will be worse. By 1/4in farther out. In the tire. Rim not so much as this pic below.

Also the larger tire will slightly gear up your car making it slightly slower. Maybe not noticeable, only the butt meter will tell.

Heres how far off your speedo will be.

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

Just plug in your stock tire and the one you’re looking at getting to figure out the speedo and if it gear up or down compared to stock.

Last edited:

Mk6_vic

Ready to race!
Past - I ran a 235/35/19 et 45 x 8.0
Today - (staggard) Front - 245/35/18x8.0 ET - 45 & Rear 18x9 245/35/18 ET - 40.
Lowered on BC’s and routine alignments

If your planning on staying stock height with wider tires - should be safe to run a 45 or 40 w. 8’ width.
Ever consider 245/35/18? Or you set on 245/40/18?

Stemmy

You're running 50 series tires with offset of 54? Do you rub? I guess if you are stock you wont. Why such a thick sidewall? Most run a 45 series.

Anywhooo... i run 225/40/18 on 8.5 rim ET 35 so i have crazy poke and a bit of a stretch.

I think the set up you wanna run will bring ur rim/tire closer to your suspension.. think u will poke more as well due to rim and tire size increase.. pretty sure you're gonna throw ur spedo out.

No, no rub on 225/50/17 what so ever for 3 years. Speedo is supposed to be off, but best I can tell its like 1-1.5 mph at 70 based on many of those speed signs showing your speed.

Crazy poke? I have seen may folk pretty flush with VMR's at 8.5- or are they flush because of camber?

Stemmy

Not positive but im running 225/40r18 18x18.5 et42. If i remember correctly, when i test mounted the rim at full lock it was kinda close to the control arm. Now at et 45 its only 3mm closer inside the wheel well so i cant imagine it will rub. but your poke will be worse. By 1/4in farther out. In the tire. Rim not so much as this pic below.

Also the larger tire will slightly gear up your car making it slightly slower. Maybe not noticeable, only the butt meter will tell.

Heres how far off your speedo will be.

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

Just plug in your stock tire and the one you’re looking at getting to figure out the speedo and if it gear up or down compared to stock.

Thanks for the photo!! So those are 8.5's ET42? Stock height or no?

So an ET45 will sit inside twards the suspension by 3mm- a 245/40 PS4S is 9.8", a 225/40 is 9.1", 9.8- 9.1=.7"*25.4 = 17.8mm /2 (each side) = 8.9mm - 3mm = 6mm or 1/4" more poke (tire not wheel). Just thinking though your post which is right on.

I'm not real concerned with the speedo bc I think they are off the other way from the start.

Gearing, yes the taller tire will make the gearing taller. The way I look at it with the added power of K04 this may get the power down better with taller gears.

Stemmy

Past - I ran a 235/35/19 et 45 x 8.0
Today - (staggard) Front - 245/35/18x8.0 ET - 45 & Rear 18x9 245/35/18 ET - 40.
Lowered on BC’s and routine alignments

If your planning on staying stock height with wider tires - should be safe to run a 45 or 40 w. 8’ width.
Ever consider 245/35/18? Or you set on 245/40/18?

How much inside clearance up front do you have with your setup? Think there's say 1/2" in there for tire?

Yes, I have considered 235/40/18. If I hear that 245/40/18 on a 8.5 ET45 wont work or if a 245/45/18 on a 8.0 ET45 wont work, that will be my choice.

I like the little extra rubber for PA roads.

I like the look of the 245/40/18 on the MK7's. Nice width without going over the top.

Dartregor

Ready to race!
Thanks for the photo!! So those are 8.5's ET42? Stock height or no?

So an ET45 will sit inside twards the suspension by 3mm- a 245/40 PS4S is 9.8", a 225/40 is 9.1", 9.8- 9.1=.7"*25.4 = 17.8mm /2 (each side) = 8.9mm - 3mm = 6mm or 1/4" more poke (tire not wheel). Just thinking though your post which is right on.

I'm not real concerned with the speedo bc I think they are off the other way from the start.

Gearing, yes the taller tire will make the gearing taller. The way I look at it with the added power of K04 this may get the power down better with taller gears.

Yep stock height. Got adjustable coilovers on order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
This site may be of help,

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/tire-wheel-gearing-calculator.htm

I found it when I was swapping wheel sizes on my R32 but it applies to any car, I used it again today as I’m going to be moving up to 19’s soon, but after using this calculator I see my chosen wheel would have nearly an inch of poke so glad I checked!!

EDIT: I didn’t notice the other calculator in the earlier post, that one looks easier to follow!

Last edited:

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
I don't have aftermarket wheels, I've got the stock VW 'Serrons' and I popped a set of BFG 245.40.18's on the car because I wanted a beefier tire. They don't rub, wear funny, or anything like that and ride great. Stock suspension. Great look, I think.

Stemmy

I don't have aftermarket wheels, I've got the stock VW 'Serrons' and I popped a set of BFG 245.40.18's on the car because I wanted a beefier tire. They don't rub, wear funny, or anything like that and ride great. Stock suspension. Great look, I think.

Awesome, thanks!

Wonder if they will work on the 8.5" if they work on your 7.5"?

Dartregor

Ready to race!
Awesome, thanks!

Wonder if they will work on the 8.5" if they work on your 7.5"?

If he runs them on a 7.5 yeah the 8.5 should be just fine.
Next monday im pulling my rear wheels and will be able to send you pics of the front suspension. Lock to lock at the control arms/ other components.

Stemmy

Not judging, but you really run a 225/50 to FILL the wheel gap?!

Was a family car for awhile- more for the ride. I now have an Outback for family duties so I don't need to worry about 4hr car rides with kids and gear.

The 225/50/17 fit well, ride great with grand touring tires. 9.2' wide x 25.8" tall. I ran them on a VW Onyx wheels, ET54- 7" wide.

The 245/45/18's are 9.8" x 25.7.

I went and ordered 8.0" wide Rse12's in HB. It will be a week or two until I get them and run the down to the tire place for PS4S's.

I'll post photos of the 225/50/17's and the new PS4S on the new Rse12's.