• Other (give name and reason)

Votes: 12 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

n8sCSGMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
I was deciding between the two and honestly thought I was going with Unitronic up until the morning I went in. I eventually decided to go APR stage 1 because the price is the same (with the sale), VW uses them for their own builds, it's known to be more conservative than Uni and there are more shops in my area that tune with APR.

As everyone says, both companies offer great tunes. It really is up to you and what you value most. For me, I wanted to go with a tuner that offered me something more conservative because, to me, that means longer life out of my engine. I also wanted to go with a tuner where I have multiple shops I can go to locally who can help me out if I have questions or problems.
If I were thinking about keeping my car for just 3-4 years, I would have went with Uni in a heartbeat. However, I'd like to keep this car for close to 8-10. In all honesty, I have more than enough power with APR stage 1. After I install Modshack's VTDA, I can honestly say I'm at a stopping point with the engine. (I know everyone says the modding won't stop, but I'm pretty sure I will haha). If I wanted to spend even more money on the car, I should have just gotten the Golf R.

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Well....since you want an actual answer from me.......

If you want power.....both are equal. You really need to research and ask around about what the software entails component wise and what is actually modified. Component protection is one of the most dangerous things to modify and will eventually cause harm to your engine. It basically acts as a stand alone tune.

Both are great companies....but I went with APR for a reason.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Unfortunately I don't know much about Unitronic's tuning fundamentals but have heard from multiple sources they disable component protection to yield better gains. However, Im unsure of this.

If I had a choice BESIDES APR it would probably be unitronic. GIAC is close, but I don't know too much about them or their software.

davewes

Ready to race!
Hmmm that doesn't sound conducive to long term engine health....
When you say component protection, I'm assuming that entails safeguards built into the stock tune to prevent things like over boosting the turbo, requesting too much fuel pressure, etc, etc correct?

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
So here it is

When you need to go to the dealership..And just incase they flash my ECU back to stock..What is the process of getting my chosen software back onto my ECU...Pay another $600+ or what
If the Dealership flashes over your Unitronic Flash with a software update, it's as simple as just re-visiting your local Authorized Unitronic Dealer for a relfash of our Performance Software. There is no cost from Unitronic for this. :thumbsup:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
When you say component protection, I'm assuming that entails safeguards built into the stock tune to prevent things like over boosting the turbo, requesting too much fuel pressure, etc, etc correct?

Correct. It includes the knock sensors as well. Im not sure if Uni does that but check with them to be sure.

crew219

Banned

Yep.

Also keep in mind that Unitronic doesn't have file switching, meaning whatever file you have, is the only run you can run until you go back to a uni dealer and get a different file.

Dave

Redzgti

Ready to race!
I went with apr. And I love it. I felt that they must be doing something right if vw lets them do vwr in europe.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Was wondering if I could get some feedback..I have read and read about all the threads I can handle about this and that..but most people have a bunch of mods on the car..I don't have anything..but plan on simple things down the road

We have an excellent upgrade path with both software and hardware supported from as simple as an ECU upgrade all the way to small, medium and large turbo upgrades. The best part is all of the software and hardware comes from APR, so there's no mixing or matching parts with the hope of it all working. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. :thumbsup:

crew219

Banned

davewes

Ready to race!
Correct. It includes the knock sensors as well. Im not sure if Uni does that but check with them to be sure.

Wow, in the SRT world we had a tuner turning off knock sensors. Caused quite a stir once it was confirmed. I would think that a company as reputable as Uni wouldn't turn off the knock sensors. Can VAGCOM check the status of the various ECU sensors?

crew219

Banned
Wow, in the SRT world we had a tuner turning off knock sensors. Caused quite a stir once it was confirmed. I would think that a company as reputable as Uni wouldn't turn off the knock sensors. Can VAGCOM check the status of the various ECU sensors?

It's not so much turning off the knock sensors, but recalibrating how timing is pulled in response to knock. If you alter the threshold enough, in a sense, you would be effectively rendering the readings from the knock sensors useless.

Dave

dc0953812327

APR = Great company but suck dealer

2.0tsi ecu has any upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.