GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I get a manual or automatic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisIsBud

Hello all,

Thinking about getting a GTI. My 04 TL has been a total lemon for quite some time now, and I'd like something fun but affordable. I've settled on a GTI.

That said, I'm debating whether or not I'd like a manual or automatic. I don't know how to drive a manual, which is kind of embarrassing, but it's my understanding that it's just a lot more fun to drive a manual. But, is the paddle shifters basically the same sort of feel?

I also heard there were some transmission issues with the automatic. I've had to replace a transmission before so... I certainly don't want to experience that again.

Thanks for your thoughts.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
I would just stick with an auto. It can hold the power to K04 without having to change a clutch or anything. I went from manual to auto and had the clutch issue others have had. My clutch went out with 900 miles on the way to Yosemite, never had any other issues in the 10k miles I had on it. The auto is still fun and if you really want to you can manually shift it as well. Plus, the auto is faster and gets better mileage on this car.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
Drive both and see what you like better, to me there is nothing like have a manual gearbox no matter how advance the sport modes are etc..

The DSG is great dont get me wrong, you will be happy either way I am sure...

Avant

Ready to race!
Well yeah your first problem is that you need to learn how to drive a manual. If you don't have the resources (i.e. family members or friends willing to use up their clutch for you) then you should stick with an automatic.

KDearduff

Ready to race!
I had a mk5 gti with dsg, and my mk6 is a manual. Both great transmissions. Prior to my mk6 golf, which I had briefly between the gti's, the only other manual I had learned to drive was a 1964 Chevy c-10 three on the tree. That was when I was 15, so I was almost learning again from scratch on the golf. Don't let not knowing how to drive a manual push you one way or the other. I bought my gti on a Tuesday night and had only that evening to prepare before heading to work in stop and go rush hour traffic. Yes, I stalled a few times, pissed some people off, but who cares?

All that said, and now being very comfortable with a manual, I would again choose a manual. I just like the increased interaction and control. I was stage 2 with my mk5, and one issue I had in the winter months was the dsg downshifting when I didn't want it to. This would cause unplanned wheelspin sometimes, which can be a problem living in a hilly area of Cincinnati. Naturally, this won't happen in a manual. Would I purchase a car only offered in a dsg? Yes. But if both transmissions are available, I prefer a manual now. Can't go wrong with either choice, though.

TAG12GTI

Ready to race!
Get the DSG (automatic) with sunroof and nav. Then you'll get the HIDs as well. You won't be disappointed.

Ethereal

Ready to race!
get the dsg twin clutch auto. unlike most other manufacturerers automatics (even the evo's twinclutch), it can apparently handle major power stock, like a stage 3+ kit power.

the 6spd manual is the weaker tranny in stock form which is funny.

Mk6Pul

Passed Driver's Ed
get the dsg twin clutch auto. unlike most other manufacturerers automatics (even the evo's twinclutch), it can apparently handle major power stock, like a stage 3+ kit power.

the 6spd manual is the weaker tranny in stock form which is funny.

^I lol to this.

LilRhodyGti

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm going from an auto back to a manual. I missed flipping through gears and feeling more in touch with the driving experience. I'm sure the DSG is a competent system, but just figure in a sporty car shifting is the way to go

fpayson

Ready to race!
I <3 my DSG

Moodymedstudent

Ready to race!
I was in the exact same position as you 8 months ago, and I am very glad I got the manual. I thought it was basically now or never if I ever wanted to experience driving a manual car. The DSG gets better track and acceleration times, but working a 3rd pedal and running the gearbox left right up and down just simply can't be replicated with two flappy paddles. And some simple things just seem more natural and more intuitive in a manual -- like how you need to actually press the gas pedal to go instead of letting go of the brake... and the sound of a slightly revved engine before taking off from a stoplight, and sometimes giving the gas pedal two or three blips to rev match into a lower gear.

Don't get me wrong, the DSG does the mechanical work of changing gears VERY well. It just does it for you, and I for one would rather do it myself.

Last edited:

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
But, is the paddle shifters basically the same sort of feel?

no, it's not even close.

My gti is manual and I love it. It's very fun to row through the gears at WOT. clutch is not bad at all so even if you're in heavy traffic, you'll be fine.

ohsnapzombies

Ready to race!
besides my xterra, i've owned nothing but manuals...I decided to give the DSG a go when i bought my GTI. I do not regret going that route. Faster shifts, blasting through the gears in manual mode is still a blast, and using the paddle shifters when you want is awesome. Then when you're stuck in bumper to bumper Baton Rouge traffic, slap it in D and be lazy....

Mk6Pul

Passed Driver's Ed
If you worry about the clutch in traffic, you have clearly never driven a sports car......LOL

This clutch feels like stepping on a cloud compared to my last car.

Status
Not open for further replies.