GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Check engine light on, turbo not working

FishesDelicious

Drove to work with zero issues yesterday. Leaving work I could feel like the turbo wasn't working at all. A few minutes later the CEL came on. I gave it more throttle and verified that the turbo wasn't working. No boost at all, so I don't think it's a leak somewhere. Any ideas what it could be?

I don't think it's a blown turbo, I barely drive my car hard at all and 90% of my miles are highway cruising miles. Plus I've blown a turbo on my old DSM before and that sounded like it was sucking in air through a 10ft straw. Wastegate maybe?

2014 m6 stage 1 apr auto transmission

Last edited:

FishesDelicious

p0299 underboost. Everything I've seen is diverter valve. Is this difficult to get to?

EDIT: looks like all you need to do is jack the front end up and change it out.

Last edited:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
p0299 underboost. Everything I've seen is diverter valve. Is this difficult to get to?

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16683/P0299/000665

Check your turbo for wastegate play while you're under there first as in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fk6cSDE3hE

But yes p2099 can be caused by bad DV as well. It can be replaced by jacking up the front, or even just the front right side. Its like a 15 minute job.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie

Had same code, mine was a blown turbo. Changed out the DV and still persisted. If you got no turbo action, I doubt it's a bad DV.

Uberryan

Banned
Unlikely. Most dealers want the labor hours from VW. Try your luck if you're still under powertrain. Might wanna disconnect the battery and/or check the DV first though. Reconnect battery after 30 mins and see if anything changes.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
What are the chances having a stage 1 tune voids the warranty for a new turbo?? lol

When I took it to my dealer and had them diagnose the car, they came back reporting it was blown stating that I was pushing too much power out of the stock turbo (I was stg2 at the time but only 35k miles). They appeared like they were going to perform the repair under warranty however told me that I had just got out of warranty, thus not covered.

That basically prompted me to go K04. Even the service manager recommended me that at that point, lol.

FishesDelicious

Update: Took car into dealer today and they said it's a blown turbo. Good news is everything is going to covered under warranty. I'm glad I opted for that extended warranty

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Update: Took car into dealer today and they said it's a blown turbo. Good news is everything is going to covered under warranty. I'm glad I opted for that extended warranty

That's good. It's actually funny that my dealer claimed that I was pushing too much power on the stock turbo. They are an APR authorized dealer... They sell Stage 2 to their customers, but then go and tell me that it was the reason it blew, lol.:rolleyes: