GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rusted MK6 GTI from Thailand

AeyTWP

Has anyone seen a 7 years old car with this amount of rust?

This car is my 2011 VW GTI from Thailand. I’m the only owner/driver. Drive perfectly, love the car, never have any accidents, never flooded, and never took it into a paint repair shop (except 1 time by the dealer, more to it later).

I saw some small amount of rust developed few years ago, but I can live with it because I don’t want to take it into a paint repair shop. However, the rust develop faster than I thought, now when I touch them, the metal body broke! Pictures attached.

Here is the fact;

• The car has 77,xxx KM on it.
  • It’s washed about 1 time a week.
  • It’s always parked under a shade.
  • About 1cm X 2cm paint came off the rear bumper, in less than 1 year after I bought the car. I took the car back to VW dealer where I bought it and they repaired it for me.

Interesting thing is my wife's car, Suzuki Swift, which is 7 years old too. It has approximately the same mileage, always park next to my car, use the same water to wash, and wash about 1 time a week too, has no rust at all. Pictures attached. Basically it’s used in the same environment as my car.

My parent car, Nissan Teana, is 7 years old too, which is over 1xx,xxx KM, always park in the same area, use the same water to wash, wash about 2-3 times a week, has no rust. I don’t have a picture of this car.

During 7 years, my car was serviced at a VW local dealer, except 1 time in 2017 that I took the car to another well-known VAG service shop in Thailand (non VW authorised shop) to replace ABS sensors and oil change.

The local VW dealer is very helpful, because they saw the rust developed on my car too, so they try to claim for 12 years rust warranty for me. However VW denied the warranty, because I took the car to service once with a non VW authorised shop!

I think it’s obviously a defected car, and by denying the rust warranty because of one service record is not fair at all. Not to mention that my local VW dealer saw the rust developed long time before that service at non VW authorised shop.

Still love the car and thought maybe I’m not lucky to get a defected car, but I’ll not buy another VW anymore!

Last edited:

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
I see no rust because there are no pictures.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
That's pretty bad. I would think that would be covered under warranty. You said you took the car to a non authorized shop for work , but what did they do? Was it anything regarding the paint/rust issue? I would try another dealer or contact VW directly. Good luck with it.

AeyTWP

That's pretty bad. I would think that would be covered under warranty. You said you took the car to a non authorized shop for work , but what did they do? Was it anything regarding the paint/rust issue? I would try another dealer or contact VW directly. Good luck with it.
The main reason I went to that shop was to change ABS sensors, and oil change while the car was in there. Also changed interior roof liner that always falling off after 4-5 years.

Nothing to do with paint and rust issue.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

AeyTWP

My wife's car, Suzuki Swift, which is 7 years old too. It has approximately the same mileage, always park next to my car, use the same water to wash, and wash about 1 time a week too, has no rust at all. Pictures attached. Basically it’s used in the same environment as my car.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
You're definitely covered under warranty. I would go to another dealer or contact VW directly on this matter and show them the same pictures.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
You're definitely covered under warranty. I would go to another dealer or contact VW directly on this matter and show them the same pictures.

I tried to claim for some rust on a 2008 Mk5 a few years back and was told in no uncertain terms folds and seams are NOT covered, the rust by the handles wheel arch and rear badge would be classed as folds and seams I would think, that hole under the filler cap though! WoW! It’s all pretty damn bad but they’ll probably blame stone chips etc, good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Where are Thai GTi’s built?, my guess would be thin steel along with humid air has played a part here!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
The gap between the wing and door is huge in your picture, something appears not quite right here!

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I tried to claim for some rust on a 2008 Mk5 a few years back and was told in no uncertain terms folds and seams are NOT covered, the rust by the handles wheel arch and rear badge would be classed as folds and seams I would think, that hole under the filler cap though! WoW! It’s all pretty damn bad but they’ll probably blame stone chips etc, good luck.

That's so wack. I feel like if a car can't make it to 5yr/100k without significant issues you should get half ur money back.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
holes on body panels that go straight through should be covered in the US. unsure for Thailand. Call VW and keep insisting it is their defect.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
To compare, I live in south florida where it's nonstop sun, rain, salt air, and humidity. No rust from what I can see, and my car is the same age. There's something wrong with those panels.

LOL, you beat me to it, I was just about to comment along those lines. Yes, the heat/humidity/salt air, plus I have numberless stone dings and scratches on the front of the hood from all the construction around here. But even those haven't rusted (knock on wood!). A friend of mine up north that drives on salted roads only now just got a small spot on his rocker panel of his 7yr old Jetta. So these cars seem to be pretty solid in that way.

I agree with Focal Point, might be something amiss with the panels themselves.