GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

(NH)DIY: Fiberglass Intake Adapter - PICS

dhockey11

Passed Driver's Ed
This is my first post. I've been lurking for a while now, but just took the first plunge into modding, and I figured I would share my efforts with the community here. Following this DIY guide <http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31038>, I decided I wanted to do a cheapo version of the VWR/Forge style intake. I will describe how I made a fiberglass adapter, but this is really a guide on NOT HOW to DIY. My end product works very well, fits like a glove, and doesn’t look too bad, but it can be made better. Hopefully this thread will spawn discussion on how to do that, and y’all can learn from my mistakes. On to the good stuff.
20140215_194656.jpg
The end product here, could use some finishing detail, but it works.
20140212_172855.jpg
I bought this on ebay for 65$ shipped domestically. The filter says it is cleanable, but there is no replacement info. I'd bet one could make a brandname filter work as well with some effort.

Anyways, I began by removing the stock air box and creating a stencil out of some MDF or similar type material. This stencil needs to fit into the mount from the stock air box to the backside of the grill. Sorry, no pics of this location. The stencil is approximately 8" x 4" rectangular, but I trimmed it until it fit. Then I took the "mouth" of the stock air box, and marked my stencil so I could cut out the middle with a jigsaw. Make sure to leave plenty of room for the mounting tabs.
20140212_182956.jpg
After rough cutting the hole, I used a dremel to fine tune the shape around the stock piece.
20140212_185911.jpg
I marked about an 1/8" of an inch around the piece to allow for the fiberglass thickness, and dremmeled the excess out. This was the first thing I did wrong. Don't do this to the mounting (narrow) sides, as the screw holes will need plenty of space to fit the stock mounting hardware.
20140212_190643.jpg
Once I was happy with the stencil, I wrapped it in packing tape to act as a mould release agent. I also wrapped the piece I was going to use to form the 3" round hole. I used some weird fan thing my filter came packed with (no idea what it is for) and a little rubber spacer that went around it. I figured that once the mould set, it would be hard to remove a rigid pipe from the inside of the hole, but I would be able to remove the metal fan piece, and then the flexible rubber bit would be much easier to get out.
20140212_193245.jpg
With those set, I cut up some scrap fleece and had it sewn to form a perfectly sized cone. One end was just under 3" ID, and the other end fit into my mdf stencil. I sprayed both the mdf stencil and 3" fan thingymabob with general adhesive and formed my piece. I stuck the fan bit into the small end of me fleece cone, and inserted the other end through the mdf stencil and wrapped it onto the outer surface. The key to this whole thing working is that the stencil is made of something easy to cut yet difficult to bend. Here's what it looks like at this point.
20140212_194658.jpg
20140212_194723.jpg
I used some pop cases to hold up the stencil and used the weight of the metal fan thingymabob to stretch the fleece and hold the whole thing in the correct position. A rigid frame would have been much much better than letting gravity do the work. From some dry fitting of my filter housing, I knew I wanted my adapter to be about 4" long, and it worked out nicely. Next step is the fiberglass.
20140212_195210.jpg
I bought a bondo repair kit from the local parts store for about $20. Make sure you have a respirator to do this next step, fiberglass resin might be nerve gas from the way it smells. Also, don't use a foam brush. It sucked. I mixed about a third of the resin and hardener in a plastic cup, and applied it to my formed fleece. I tried to cover the flange piece. and the inside as much as possible. Once I added the resin, the fleece did sag a bit, so I had to lengthen the form to almost 5". This caused problems later, but wasn't too horrible.

MORE TO COME....

dhockey11

Passed Driver's Ed
Continued

Once the first coat of resin dried, I removed the fan thingymabob and mdf stencil. I had to cut the stencil in two prior to removing due to the shape. You can see that a lot of the fleece has yet to be soaked in resin, but that isn't oo much of a problem. The piece at this point was still rigid and held its shape on its own. The packing tape made this surprisingly easy despite the adhesive. Also note that part of the flange face lifted from the stencil while drying and deformed it a bit. That sucked, but was liveable.
20140213_062602.jpg
20140213_062933.jpg
20140213_063652.jpg
Next, I cut strips of fiberglass cloth from the bondo kit into shapes that made it easy to apply. Make sure to reinforce the flange and 3" pipe outlet the most. I used almost all of the supplied fiberglass mat. I mixed the rest of the resin and hardener in th esupplied tray, and using the supplied spreader, i finished coating all of the fleece. Then I added a layer of fiberlass, and coated with the spreader again. This was repeated until most of the fiberglass was used. All in all, it took about 30 minutes. and I allowed it to dry overnight.
20140213_174758.jpg
20140213_174808.jpg
20140213_174815.jpg
With some dremel work and 100 grit sandpaper, it looked like this.
20140213_183648.jpg
20140213_183656.jpg
20140213_190052.jpg
I used some epoxy putty to fill holes and gaps. Bondo would work better, but its what I had on hand. This was "green stuff", something I use for miniature models all the time.
20140213_223111.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED...

dhockey11

Passed Driver's Ed
Continued

I forgot to mention in the previous post that I epoxied in the outlet pipe. i had to sand the eff out of it to get it to fit, it was a bit larger than the piece I used to form the adapter, so...my bad. I used devcon 2-ton, any good epoxy should work I suppose. After some more sanding, I put a coat of black paint on. It doesn't look to purty, but I wanted to make sure it all fit together and worked before I put any more effort into it. Bondo and intense sanding may come at a later date.

I also put some 1/4" thick weather stripping all around the flange to give me some wiggle room while mounting to the grill, and make up for all my goofs on the flange face that left it un-level.
20140213_224542.jpg
The rest is just putting it together. Since my form stretched while adding the resin, my adapter was about 5" long, and the outlet pipe and the filter housing wouldn't fit between the battery box and the grill. I cut the outlet pipe and the front of the filter housing as short as possible. Also cut my 3" silicone adapter to match, and save as much room as possible.
20140215_183254.jpg
To install, I actually attached the filter housing and intake adapter together. I unclipped this bracket
20140215_192146.jpg
and attached the whole assembly to the MAF. Because the 3" silicone adapter on the rear of the filter housing was only 3" long, it didn't fit all the way onto the MAF housing, but, its definitely on there solidly. A longer silicone piece (4-5") would be perfect, but I'm cheap. Once it was in one piece, I mounted the adapter to the stock location on the backside of the grill with the stock hardware. I had to make some room on my intake adapter with a dremel for the screwheads to fit, but not a big deal. It all fit well, so I hooked the intake piping back up, and tightened her down. Added some weather stripping between the filter housing and the battery box, and a little piece on top of the stock airbox mount. Also installed a breather filter on the CBFA pump intake (or whatever that thing is).
20140215_191912.jpg
20140215_191918.jpg
20140215_191926.jpg
20140215_192103.jpg
20140215_194639.jpg
20140215_194647.jpg
20140215_194656.jpg

El Fin!!! The installation is rock solid, so I'm not worried about adding another mount for stability. I haven't noticed any significant increase in sound, although the ambient noise may be a bit higher. The sound when WOT is a little higher pitched, but not much louder than stock. I also haven't noticed appreciable gains in power, but the car is stock otherwise, so can't do too much with the extra air. All in all, I am very pleased, and it all came out to be around $120. Let me know what you think and if you have any questions. As I said in the beginning, there has to be an easier way. =)

StigsFatAmericanCousin

Ready to race!
Cool. I'm planning a similar project but it will be more of an air box.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

dhockey11

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice. You could use some filler to fix the roughness, sand and paint for an even cleaner look

Definitely. That is the plan for some day when I'm less lazy. I have some carbon fiber vinyl that would look cool, but I'm not sure if it will withstand the heat.

Merkle

Banned
Definitely. That is the plan for some day when I'm less lazy. I have some carbon fiber vinyl that would look cool, but I'm not sure if it will withstand the heat.

It will, I can't imagine it getting any hotter than the tip of the heat gun. Plus, when you're driving the air is moving through so that will cool it off.

dhockey11

Passed Driver's Ed
Update Res. Finally logged some airflow numbers. 3rd gear pulls, 83F Ambient Temp. Not sure if it's good or not, but looks stable.

Airflow Chart.jpg