GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just moved to Europe - how to get Euro Map loaded in NAV system

saluki3013

Hi All,

I just moved to Germany and looking to get European maps loaded on my nav system for my 2012 golf R.

I went to the Volkswagen dealership here and I was told that it's impossible to do since I have American spec car, and not the euro spec.

Does anyone know of a fix, or somewhere I can order the European maps?

I appreciate any information, thanks for help.

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
shouldnt be impossible. which nav unit do you have

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
You should be able to change the NAV unit's region code with VCDS. It should be module 37 (Navigation), channel 130 in adaptation, change the value to 2 for Western Europe.

saluki3013

You should be able to change the NAV unit's region code with VCDS. It should be module 37 (Navigation), channel 130 in adaptation, change the value to 2 for Western Europe.

Thanks, is this something the dealership should be able to do?

GianquiMan

Passed Driver's Ed
Myself and 2 others were stationed in Europe with our MK6s. Basically your RNS-315 has different Firmware than the European ones so like the dealer said, you can't load the Europe maps on it. You'd pay for the maps and then you'd have to pay for the US ones again if it was possible. You're better off buying a standalone GPS unit, it will be cheaper, work better, constant map updates, and you can use it outside your car (rental, friend's car, etc.). Then you can resell it when you leave and recoup some of the money.

If you DO find a way to upload European maps into your US RNS-315 then please share what you did cause you'd be the first I'd heard of.

*edit...VCDS probably won't work, it's a Firmware issue, not a coding issue AFAIK.

saluki3013

Myself and 2 others were stationed in Europe with our MK6s. Basically your RNS-315 has different Firmware than the European ones so like the dealer said, you can't load the Europe maps on it. You'd pay for the maps and then you'd have to pay for the US ones again if it was possible. You're better off buying a standalone GPS unit, it will be cheaper, work better, constant map updates, and you can use it outside your car (rental, friend's car, etc.). Then you can resell it when you leave and recoup some of the money.

If you DO find a way to upload European maps into your US RNS-315 then please share what you did cause you'd be the first I'd heard of.

*edit...VCDS probably won't work, it's a Firmware issue, not a coding issue AFAIK.

Copy that, I'll probably end up buying the standalone then. Thanks for the info!

bebersol

Ready to race!
maybe you can buy a used head European head unit. You'll also be able to get the SW radio stations. SWF2

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I updated the firmware on my UK RNS510 a while back which was specific to my region, would just doing the same work maybe??

saluki3013

I can’t see why the map couldn’t just be updated with the euro version, might not be possible but then again why wouldn’t it be!?!

https://www.gpspower.net/volkswagen-seat-skoda/348030-software-update-rns315.html

https://www.latestsatnav.co.uk/late...or-volkswagen-rns315-v10-navigation-425-p.asp

Awesome! I'll check to see if it's compatable with us software. Thanks for the help!

saluki3013

Just to give an update, the SD card ordered did not work on my system. I'm going to send it back, but it was worth the try.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Just to give an update, the SD card ordered did not work on my system. I'm going to send it back, but it was worth the try.

Damn! That’s a shame, my thinking was that you would probably have to install the correct firmware first though, if that’s even possible that is?! Did the sd card just not work or would it try and then give an error? Did it put up any messages when trying the install?

saluki3013

Damn! That’s a shame, my thinking was that you would probably have to install the correct firmware first though, if that’s even possible that is?! Did the sd card just not work or would it try and then give an error? Did it put up any messages when trying the install?

Hey, just tried again. The message I get is "Error:SD Card".

I'm not sure I know how to install the firmware either.

Thanks for help