GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 06-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #71
raphaelpmc
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: Fusca 2012 (Beetle)
Great topic, I did my self this replacement, is not so hard but a Lon time work, be carefully when necessary, because this work accepts no mistakes or will leak again. Take care with the bolts on, take care with the belts return, take care with the water/oil coolant junction, and replace when possible all the o rings !
raphaelpmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #72
GuiltySpark
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
So my 2012 GTI had the recall done at a dealer in 2016. Last week it began overheating and after taking it back to the dealer (they were only able to diagnose it for a little bit, I took it on saturday and they close at 3PM) they said its likely a stuck closed/failed thermostat as the inlet is hot and the outlet is cold.

Oddly, i thought thermostats were always supposed to fail open.. anyway...

So they saw that its already the latest water pump so that its not covered under the recall/warranty, even if it needs to be replaced (looks like the thermostat is built in?). Its NOT leaking.

Does this sound correct or should I be fighting this?
GuiltySpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #73
GuiltySpark
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
Well they submitted a request to VW Good Will to see if they'll cover the already replaced water pump as they don't replace just the thermostat. Not going to get the car back today :-/

I sure hope its covered.
GuiltySpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:42 PM   #74
ChrisB
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 MKVI Driver's Ed German Fit
I'm about to do this water pump thing myself. I am not under the service campaign and the stealership quoted me "about $900" to do it over the phone. Good job since it went at 60,200 miles...

EDIT: Well, I finally did this and I liked it so much, I did it twice.

Lessons learned: get at least ONE injector seal kit AND replace the union between the water pump and the oil cooler. One of my injectors that pulled with the manifold broke a claw. I didn't want to find out how well the car would run long-term with that piece compromised, although it did run fine, prior to discovering another leak...

My main problem came from the union. Water poured out like never before at the reused union. My OG unit was sketch looking but I figured it would work, and I was WRONG. I put a deposit down for a Powerbuilt Loaner Pressure Tester Adapter at Autozone just to make sure no other leaks were present prior to replacing the union. When I was done, it also doubled to pressure fill the cooling system.

The good news is that water pump whine is now gone, along with the leaks....

Last edited by ChrisB; 08-20-2018 at 11:14 PM. Reason: clarify
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #75
Wagenmightbreak
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 MK6 GTI Autobahn
Reviving this thread but how the hell did you get the new belt on without loosening the tensioner? Ive been at it for hours trying to get that new belt on and it WILL NOT fit between that crease on the bottom crank.

Sent from my HTC 10 evo using Tapatalk
Wagenmightbreak is offline   Reply With Quote