GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Things seem to have gotten worse with my car. Taking it into the dealership Wednesday morning to see if it’s the timing tensioner/chain. Not sure if this would be covered under warranty or not since the car is little over 37k miles. Fml.

I do have extended warranty as well.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I just wanted to add a datapoint for those keeping track of updated tensioners/build dates. My 2012 GTI has a 02/12 build date, and has the updated tensioner. It's for the Canadian market, so not sure if that really differs from the US. I was so relieved that it was the updated tensioner, and hopefully it holds up.

A guy that I know said that his wife's 2013 GTI with the updated tensioner skipped timing, but didn't bend valves. As well, I notice that the recent ShopDAP video on checking the timing chain tensioner was performed on a 2013 GTI that apparently skipped timing, but had the updated tensioner. I am not looking to sound the alarm bells on the updated tensioner, but I was just wondering if other issues could cause timing skipping other than this particular tensioner. No one in either of these cases blamed the tensioner for the timing skipping, but it just seemed odd that it was on 2013 MY GTIs.

Taking my 2013 on Wednesday morning, thinking mine is about to go with the way the engine is behaving and the noise it’s now making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Things seem to have gotten worse with my car. Taking it into the dealership Wednesday morning to see if it’s the timing tensioner/chain. Not sure if this would be covered under warranty or not since the car is little over 37k miles. Fml.

I do have extended warranty as well.

What happened?

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Car was at the dealership all day yesterday with no luck from the tech replicating the noise. They will spend today with it as well. I just hope he digs a little deeper into the timing tensioner inspection itself. Logging and looking via the inspection hole.

It sounds like the videos people make with the loud rattle on warm start up and then goes away.

Only thing that has me worried is that I dumped the oil before taking it in because I noticed very small metal flakes in the oil. I’m wondering if it’s coming from the chain rubbing the timing cover when there is some slack in it when it has been sitting for an hour or two before starting up again? Otherwise, there’s no drivability issues with it, yet....I’m wanting to catch thing before it really causes damage and I’m out an engine.

Anyway, if they just dick around and not really diagnose the issue I’ll be pissed since it’s a $160 diagnostic fee. I did flash it back to stock before taking the car in (Integrated Engineering) to play it safe. If they don’t do anything because the tech can’t replicate the noise I’ll just take it to someone to pay out of pocket for it since I’m assuming what the issue is.

tnagy

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,
Can somebody tell me if I have the latest version installed by looking at this invoice. It was done March 2016 still under warranty.
Thanks

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

pjd2011

Passed Driver's Ed
Just had to take my 2012 GTI into the shop for the full repair. I was on the highway yesterday in rush hour traffic when I lost all throttle. Luckily, I was able to make it over to the side of the road ok.

The only sign of any issue before this was the CEL light blinking when I went over a large pothole. May or may not be related.

Is everyone aware of the class action lawsuit about this? My local VW dealership was clueless so I'm having the work done at a local VW specialty repair shop.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Is everyone aware of the class action lawsuit about this? My local VW dealership was clueless so I'm having the work done at a local VW specialty repair shop.

What I've heard is there's supposed to be a website up by the end of next month where people can make claims.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
So forget to update but after a week the dealership had my car for, they couldn’t replicate the noise. So a $160 diagnostic fee and oil change later I left disappointed. Weird how it wasn’t making the noise for them after I had flashed it back to stock. Stage 2 again and it’s doing it again, especially if it’s been sitting on a slight downward slope. Looks like I’ll be paying for this out of pocket >_<.

Teachmehowto20

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2014 with about 80K miles, i was concerned with this before i bought the car, and now VERY sporadically i hear something which to me sounds like it could be the timing chain (heard it about 2-3 times total so far in the last month).
I see everyone checking the chain and/or tensiorner params with a VCDS, is it possible to check with OBDEleven tool? I have one, but dont know if I can check with that.
Also i have an extended warranty, so If i could get this taken care of in the next year, thatd be great. But i dont wanna pay 160 to diagnose and they dont find anything.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I have a 2014 with about 80K miles, i was concerned with this before i bought the car, and now VERY sporadically i hear something which to me sounds like it could be the timing chain (heard it about 2-3 times total so far in the last month).
I see everyone checking the chain and/or tensiorner params with a VCDS, is it possible to check with OBDEleven tool? I have one, but dont know if I can check with that.
Also i have an extended warranty, so If i could get this taken care of in the next year, thatd be great. But i dont wanna pay 160 to diagnose and they dont find anything.
I have no experience with OBDEleven but I've seen people say you can check using it. Read page 108 of the Official Timing Chain Tensioner Failure Thread. Check Engine Measuring block 093. if you're close to/beyond the range of -4 to 4 degrees then your chain is stretched beyond spec or you've jumped a tooth.

If you can't figure it out with OBDEleven and you happen to be in the DC or Baltimore metro area then I can check for you with VCDS.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion

I too have extended warranty and this literally just happened to me. The car was at the dealership for a week and I left empty handed since they couldn’t replicate the noise. I was hoping to utilize the extended warranty but will be instead paying a $1000 out of pocket. Pissed to have spent $255 at the dealership.