GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #7953
EJBGTIVI
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedVW11 View Post
Tyrolsport collar kit most ill probably ever spend on a few bolts

First time ripping off bumper was interesting
I see a set of coilovers there. koni's ?
Originally Posted by Vancity2Constantinople View Post
this forum just keeps getting more stupider each day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniGLH View Post
Nobody wants their wings and beer to be served by a snotty eyerolling bitch.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #7954
flying_solo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: Touareg TDI, C2S
I finally finished my RO system with two weeks to spare before kid #2. Itís a commercial grade 200 GPD system I added an eleven gallon expansion tank to and got it plumber upstairs. I also setup a proper drain system for the RO and Water softener to my sump. Maybe someday Iíll actually wrench on a car again.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #7955
EJBGTIVI
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_solo View Post
I finally finished my RO system with two weeks to spare before kid #2. Itís a commercial grade 200 GPD system I added an eleven gallon expansion tank to and got it plumber upstairs. I also setup a proper drain system for the RO and Water softener to my sump. Maybe someday Iíll actually wrench on a car again.
RO =reverse osmosis? You setting up a reef tank or discus tank?
Originally Posted by Vancity2Constantinople View Post
this forum just keeps getting more stupider each day.
Quote:
Nobody wants their wings and beer to be served by a snotty eyerolling bitch.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:56 PM   #7956
flying_solo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: Touareg TDI, C2S
Yes Reverse Osmosis, I have well water and itís primarily for drinking. But, I also do have a fresh water tank I am using it for as well.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #7957
BoostedVW11
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 2003 Subaru Wrx Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJBGTIVI View Post
I see a set of coilovers there. koni's ?
Yes sir, look at my buildthread for more details.

Koni coilovers adjustable dampening. 034 strut mounts. Tyrolsport subframe collar kit etc. Also neuspeed fmic and s3 top not pictured

#SaveEJ
Old 02-18-2018, 11:43 PM   #7958
DBESTGTI
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 Stage 2 GTI
So my 4Runner is a Limited model (basically a normal 4Runner with a center diff inside the lockable 2 speed transfer case for full time 4 wheel drive , extra creature comforts, smart key, nav, auto dimming mirrors, 20Ē wheels, etc, and XREAS suspension. XREAS is pretty impressive, the dampeners are hydraulically linked corner to corner - right front to left rear and left front to right rear. The purpose of the system is the truck stays sports car flat around corners, like for real, itís insane, it doesnít seem like it should be possible. On road the system phenomenal. Off road itís to firm and stiff of a ride, it takes a lot more force to get articulation out of it, with valving being on the slow side.

I do spend a lot of time off-road, not nessesarily rock crawling but lots of unpaved rugged rocky trails and mountain passes as well as washboard gravel and fire roads. In the fall I was driving down a trail to get to a trailhead to hike a 14er, rutted washboard gravel at 30 mph for about 20 minutes each way. The shocks got HOT, started to smell a bit and faded bad. After that they started slowly leaking. The problem with XREAS is that itís a sealed non serviceable system, so itís hugely expensive to replace it all.

Hereís my predicament. I am going to rip it all out and upgrade, Iím going to lift the rear 2 inches and the front 2.5 inches. I have the rear springs and extended travel front control arms (caster corrected for stability when lifted, beefy as fuck, and extended motion ball joints) sitting in the garage already, but I flip flop more than Hillary when it comes to choosing the rest of the suspension.

Option 1, Bilstein 6112/5160 combo. The combo is 60mm front pistons (although cutaways show that to be false, they are closer to 2Ē pistons), 46mm rear pistons, digressive valving, rears are remote reservoirs front are 2.5Ē bodied mono tube coil overs. A tried and true setup, the TRD Pro models basically come with this setup with a fixed 1.5Ē front lift and no rear lift. Total addition cost after the control arms and rear springs is roughly another $1,000

Option 2, King OEM kit. The go big or go home do it right once. Top of the line 2.5Ē remote reservoir dampers, fronts are coil overs. Extended travel front and rear, high end best of the best, fully serviceable and rebuildable. They come custom valved to my specific setup, accounting for added weight to the vehicle, how heavy the wheel and tire combo is, actual front and rear weight of the vehicle, type of ride I want, and the terrain I plan on using them in. Total addition cost after the control arms and rear springs is roughly another $2500 without compression adjusters or $3100 with compression adjusters.

I want to order soon, I plan to install in the spring after winter/ski season.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:43 AM   #7959
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Quote:
Yes sir, look at my buildthread for more details.

Koni coilovers adjustable dampening. 034 strut mounts. Tyrolsport subframe collar kit etc. Also neuspeed fmic and s3 top not pictured
I hope you bought new bearings to go with them too, but if you have noises/squeaking in the front (they're hit or miss)....those will be your culprit.

I usually just run the (Audi) TT mounts or the OEM ones, personally
Old 02-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #7960
RoyB
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2015 Golf
Quote:
So my 4Runner is a Limited model (basically a normal 4Runner with a center diff inside the lockable 2 speed transfer case for full time 4 wheel drive , extra creature comforts, smart key, nav, auto dimming mirrors, 20” wheels, etc, and XREAS suspension. XREAS is pretty impressive, the dampeners are hydraulically linked corner to corner - right front to left rear and left front to right rear. The purpose of the system is the truck stays sports car flat around corners, like for real, it’s insane, it doesn’t seem like it should be possible. On road the system phenomenal. Off road it’s to firm and stiff of a ride, it takes a lot more force to get articulation out of it, with valving being on the slow side.

I do spend a lot of time off-road, not nessesarily rock crawling but lots of unpaved rugged rocky trails and mountain passes as well as washboard gravel and fire roads. In the fall I was driving down a trail to get to a trailhead to hike a 14er, rutted washboard gravel at 30 mph for about 20 minutes each way. The shocks got HOT, started to smell a bit and faded bad. After that they started slowly leaking. The problem with XREAS is that it’s a sealed non serviceable system, so it’s hugely expensive to replace it all.

Here’s my predicament. I am going to rip it all out and upgrade, I’m going to lift the rear 2 inches and the front 2.5 inches. I have the rear springs and extended travel front control arms (caster corrected for stability when lifted, beefy as fuck, and extended motion ball joints) sitting in the garage already, but I flip flop more than Hillary when it comes to choosing the rest of the suspension.

Option 1, Bilstein 6112/5160 combo. The combo is 60mm front pistons (although cutaways show that to be false, they are closer to 2” pistons), 46mm rear pistons, digressive valving, rears are remote reservoirs front are 2.5” bodied mono tube coil overs. A tried and true setup, the TRD Pro models basically come with this setup with a fixed 1.5” front lift and no rear lift. Total addition cost after the control arms and rear springs is roughly another $1,000

Option 2, King OEM kit. The go big or go home do it right once. Top of the line 2.5” remote reservoir dampers, fronts are coil overs. Extended travel front and rear, high end best of the best, fully serviceable and rebuildable. They come custom valved to my specific setup, accounting for added weight to the vehicle, how heavy the wheel and tire combo is, actual front and rear weight of the vehicle, type of ride I want, and the terrain I plan on using them in. Total addition cost after the control arms and rear springs is roughly another $2500 without compression adjusters or $3100 with compression adjusters.

I want to order soon, I plan to install in the spring after winter/ski season.
That XREAS. When I was on my hunt for a V8 4th gen I did much research and looked for models that did not have the XREAS for reasons you posted. They eventually fail and oem replacement is $$$$.

I can't comment on the suspension upgrades, but unless you are running 37s+ and doing rock crawling not sure you need all the fancy adjustable shocks? Maybe put some money saved into other mods?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #7961
RoyB
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2015 Golf
This weekend I moved my bar to the other side of the basement to appease the GF. I DO like it on the other side of the room, however, I had to cut my water/drain line to it as a result, which is why I had it there in the first place. firstworldproblems.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #7962
DBESTGTI
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 Stage 2 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
That XREAS. When I was on my hunt for a V8 4th gen I did much research and looked for models that did not have the XREAS for reasons you posted. They eventually fail and oem replacement is $$$$.

I can't comment on the suspension upgrades, but unless you are running 37s+ and doing rock crawling not sure you need all the fancy adjustable shocks? Maybe put some money saved into other mods?
XREAS isnít something to avoid, itís a great system, when it does go out itís all mechanical, nothing is monitored or computer controlled. You can replace it all with some entry level Bilsteins for a few hundred bucks.

37ís and rock crawling have nothing to do with shocks being adjustable. If I go with the Kings they will custom valve them to my vehicle for no extra cost. The larger shock bodies and remote reservoirs are what I really want for the higher fluid capacity and increased cooling. My problem is overheating dampeners with how I use the vehicle. Buy if Iím spending $2500 on the Kings whatís another $600 for compression adjusters to fine tune ride quality.

Iím not opossed to the higher end Bilstien stuff but they donít offer much of a warranty and I havenít been able to track down a single person who has heat in the ahocks as their main problem they tried Bilsteins to fix that. Most people do the suspension solely to have a 3Ē lift for looks.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #7963
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Tyrolsport collar kit most ill probably ever spend on a few bolts

First time ripping off bumper was interesting
You're paying for the collars to be machined. Not the bolts
Old 02-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #7964
BoostedVW11
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 2003 Subaru Wrx Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
I hope you bought new bearings to go with them too, but if you have noises/squeaking in the front (they're hit or miss)....those will be your culprit.

I usually just run the (Audi) TT mounts or the OEM ones, personally
Yes picked up a set of 0EM vw bearings as well good call .

#jayadvice #hesrightyouknow #pepperoinijalapenopizzaftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
You're paying for the collars to be machined. Not the bolts
iirc the price is in the ARP bolts? educate me

Now that my engine insulation is ripped out, more room for decals

#SaveEJ
Old 02-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #7965
OmniGLH
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadubya View Post
Brah, do you even chi chat?
This.

Quote:
Oh snap just scored a set of ramz for the Diesel....
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_solo View Post
Whatcha doing with the current OEM setup?
Aaaaaand the ramz fell through. Guy sold them out from under me. "Another guy called me after I talked to you and offered more money so I sold them to him." I was giving him his asking price so.....

At any rate - I'll keep the factory 18s for winters. New 20s would be for summer pimping only.

Not in a rush, I'll keep cruising eBay, etc. I want OE's and can't stomach the dealer price. All of the aftermarket ones out there just leave me feeling "meh".
Old 02-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #7966
OmniGLH
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg
In other fun news....

Short-short: adopting my stepson. Bio-dad is a deadbeat. Abusive, etc. Have an 11-year DVRO against the guy. $25k in past-due child support. Holds jobs 2-3 months, just long enough for wage garnishment to kick in - then bolts. Uber religious holy roller to boot. His cult is providing him food and rent.

Through some Google-fu.... wife and I stumbled upon some random website showing arrest records.... and one came up for him. Fascinating but the site itself was full of ads, etc.... so questionable. Then, a few weeks ago, it showed up on another site - with enough info, the wife filed a FOIA request.

We got it last night. Made our day.

Guy pushed his *pregnant* wife down a flight of stairs.

You better believe the attorneys are all getting a copy of this shit.

Tags
#assman, #mikerowe2020, 10k or bust, bart is still confused, boosted loves tacos, boosted was here, buttplugs ftw, diabeetus, tuna is a p3nis master