GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 03-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
pshizz
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI, 2 door, Black
Resonator Delete

Intend on taking out the resonator for a straight pipe, in order to make the exhaust sound louder and more beefy. Just curious if any of you have had this done would you suggest it? Also what box should i be taking out? I dont want to mess something up!
Old 03-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
MkVi_Ian
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Deep Blk. Metallic MkVI GTI 2dr 6sp
i heard taking out the resonator will create drone. but if you dont mind drone do it!

6 speed/APR TBE/APR stage 2/BSH stage1&2 intake/Koni Coilovers/H&R Wheel Spacers/Forge Short shifter/forge DV adaptor/New South Boost Gauge/
BFI Torque Arm insert/blacked out emblems and sidemarkers/tinted windows 10 in back and 35 in front/tinted headlights and taillights/rear wiper delete
MkVi_Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
jekyll991
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Tornado Red GTI
I doubt it will create drone, but resonators eliminate the higher frequency sounds so you'll more than likely make it sound more like a buzzy honda which is counter intuitive to the 'beefy' sound you're going for.
jekyll991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
Been Dubbed a V DUB Nut
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: GTI MK6
You know what i'v been thinking the same thing, i just don't know to pull out the muffler at the back of the car and make it straight through or take out the other muffler under the rear passenger seat??? I must say since i bought the car its getting louder and louder , i have 8000km on it now and its so much louder then when i bought the car. I wonder if it will just keep getting louder like after 15.000km or 30.000km as the fuel burns all the stuff inside the muffler.
Been Dubbed a V DUB Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
PureDrive
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2014 VW
I did this a few months ago on my MKV. You have to cut off the muffler that is in the middle of the car, not the muffler with the tips (obviously). I got a stainless pipe from a company and it fit perfect. It sounded a little louder and more "gurgly". There was/is drone on the highway when I gave it gas, along with a little extra vibration. Honestly, it sounded good at idle and that was about it. On the highway, it sounded like an old car that needed a new muffler/exhaust system. I took it off about a month ago and have not missed it at all. I would have much rather saved the money and time spent on this. I would not recommend it at all.
PureDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
n1ghtryd3r
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 10" w/DynaudioŽ premium sound only.
i had already done the resonator delete. it makes a little difference in sound i posted up vids of it.

idle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ_ihSVfnl8

Reving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rciUeBwXamo
Old 03-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
pshizz
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI, 2 door, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ghtryd3r View Post
i had already done the resonator delete. it makes a little difference in sound i posted up vids of it.

idle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ_ihSVfnl8

Reving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rciUeBwXamo
Yeah i've seen your videos before. What about driving around though, does it sound good or bad? I just want something that will be inexpensive and improve the sound of the exhaust.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #8
euro89
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CW MK6 GTI, Manual
I was thinking about doing the same thing but honestly its not worth it..
Any shop will want: $100 - $150 dollars to delete a resonator (unless ur doing it yourself)
Custom cat-less downpipe $200 - $250 dollars including installation, which will make the car louder but not too loud plus u will gain more hp than any cat-back exhaust.
For $100 dollars more u will gain sound and power!
euro89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
jekyll991
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Tornado Red GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro89 View Post
I was thinking about doing the same thing but honestly its not worth it..
Any shop will want: $100 - $150 dollars to delete a resonator (unless ur doing it yourself)
Custom cat-less downpipe $200 - $250 dollars including installation, which will make the car louder but not too loud plus u will gain more hp than any cat-back exhaust.
For $100 dollars more u will gain sound and power!
Actually the Downpipe on ebay (surewin?) is only like 115$ shipped I believe. If you'd rather not be catless pick up a magnaflow high-flow cat for $80 and have it welded in.
jekyll991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #10
euro89
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CW MK6 GTI, Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyll991 View Post
Actually the Downpipe on ebay (surewin?) is only like 115$ shipped I believe. If you'd rather not be catless pick up a magnaflow high-flow cat for $80 and have it welded in.
as far as what i was told by a local shop to weld in a dp its going to cost atleast $150 and cat-less would be better for me.
euro89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:43 AM   #11
gtipwnz
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: CW MK6
Pickin up my mk6 on friday... what are the pros and cons of catless or high flow cat? Actually, what are they? I'm new and this will be the first car I ever do anything to. If I got a different exhaust, would that void my warrenty?
gtipwnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:29 AM   #12
v-dubGTI10
Ready to race!

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureDrive View Post
I did this a few months ago on my MKV. You have to cut off the muffler that is in the middle of the car, not the muffler with the tips (obviously). I got a stainless pipe from a company and it fit perfect. It sounded a little louder and more "gurgly". There was/is drone on the highway when I gave it gas, along with a little extra vibration. Honestly, it sounded good at idle and that was about it. On the highway, it sounded like an old car that needed a new muffler/exhaust system. I took it off about a month ago and have not missed it at all. I would have much rather saved the money and time spent on this. I would not recommend it at all.
hey did u get any engine codes come up or check engine light? i am trying to do that wit my mk6 but i have 2 o2 sensors on each side of the resonator not on the resonator but on the exhaust pipe 1 in the front nd 1 on the back side...wondering if i still take off the resonator nd throw a stright pipe in would that throw any lights on.....someone told me my car has california emmisons so thats y it has the sensors nd it will mess up the motor?
v-dubGTI10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:19 AM   #13
chuymty69

Drives: VW GTI MK6/2010
Resonator delete

I removed the resonator on my GTI, replaced it with a straight pipe and it sounds really good, not too loud but just a bit louder than normal. I have the DSG transmission and in between gears it sounds kinda like an indy car changing gears. I actually also want to remove the silencer ( flat silencer holding both tips ?) and replace regular pipes but not sure if that will be too much. Has anyone tried this? I will post a video while driving so you can hear the difference. Thanks
...... by the way, i paid $25 dls to have it removed and place new pipe at a regular moffler shop.
chuymty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:36 AM   #14
Luvndubn6
Banned

Drives: 2011 GTI, Autobahn Edition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuymty69 View Post
I removed the resonator on my GTI, replaced it with a straight pipe and it sounds really good, not too loud but just a bit louder than normal. I have the DSG transmission and in between gears it sounds kinda like an indy car changing gears. I actually also want to remove the silencer ( flat silencer holding both tips ?) and replace regular pipes but not sure if that will be too much. Has anyone tried this? I will post a video while driving so you can hear the difference. Thanks
...... by the way, i paid $25 dls to have it removed and place new pipe at a regular moffler shop.
Holy thread revival haha. Oh well cant knock u for searcing .

Anyway on to my main point: youve obviously never heard an indycar in person.
Luvndubn6 is offline   Reply With Quote