GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 10-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #15
DubbinIt
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 CSGTI
If you're looking to delete your resonator underneath the backseat, try out 42DD resonator delete pipe. Ask for fitment, but it is a piece that just needs to be welded in after you cut half of your cat-back (they have instructions as to how much length you need to leave in order for great fitment). It fit for the MK5, and both MK5 and MK6 appear to have the same piping up til the suitcase muffler. Cheap alternative to custom-fitting a piece.

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/catego.../fsinores.html
http://www.hstuning.com/view-all/uni...sonator-delete

2013 TT-RS--in safe storage
2013 MINI Cooper S
DubbinIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:09 AM   #16
chuymty69

Drives: VW GTI MK6/2010
Yup, i think i went too far with the indy car but it does sound much louder between gears. Ive actually been at an indy car race before
chuymty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #17
Crid
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: Gti mk6 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureDrive View Post
I did this a few months ago on my MKV. You have to cut off the muffler that is in the middle of the car, not the muffler with the tips (obviously). I got a stainless pipe from a company and it fit perfect. It sounded a little louder and more "gurgly". There was/is drone on the highway when I gave it gas, along with a little extra vibration. Honestly, it sounded good at idle and that was about it. On the highway, it sounded like an old car that needed a new muffler/exhaust system. I took it off about a month ago and have not missed it at all. I would have much rather saved the money and time spent on this. I would not recommend it at all.
I have the rez delete on my MK6 and their is no drone whatsoever. It sounds good at WOT inside/outside the car. Its an easy $50 mod to get your car sounding better. I don't understand how everyone hates the sound.

Plus the DSG FART sounds fucking sweet with a dp and rez delete.
Crid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #18
chuymty69

Drives: VW GTI MK6/2010
Thats it!!! DSG FART, exactly!
chuymty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:30 AM   #19
tdi-newbeetle

Drives: 2010 GTI
My first post as a New GTI owner. I'm a big TDI guy but I'm getting older and I like a smooth and quiet ride. Power is fun as we all know. My question..... What can I really expect from a resonator delete? I would like to hear some performance sound. My 2010 GTI is so quiet. Can't even hear that I have a turbo. A delete for me is not only cheep but fun because I weld as a hobby. What I really don't want, Too Fast Too ferrous Honda sounding crap. Something that sounds deep pipe but without cabin noise. The car is quiet and rides awesome. Don't want to look or sound like I'm trying to be a kid. Sport with a balanced sound. Thank you for any suggestions.
tdi-newbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #20
rjohnson5481
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 13 GTI WB DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi-newbeetle View Post
My first post as a New GTI owner. I'm a big TDI guy but I'm getting older and I like a smooth and quiet ride. Power is fun as we all know. My question..... What can I really expect from a resonator delete? I would like to hear some performance sound. My 2010 GTI is so quiet. Can't even hear that I have a turbo. A delete for me is not only cheep but fun because I weld as a hobby. What I really don't want, Too Fast Too ferrous Honda sounding crap. Something that sounds deep pipe but without cabin noise. The car is quiet and rides awesome. Don't want to look or sound like I'm trying to be a kid. Sport with a balanced sound. Thank you for any suggestions.

I'm in the same boat, I've come to the conclusion that a resonator delete and a god speed down pipe will sound good but not ricey. Also price effective, I'm not really concerned with performance would just like better sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #21
Irishbri
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '12 GTI UGM 6MT 4dr
I just did this. I love the way it sounds now. Before all I could hear was engine, but now the sound is balanced under load and practically as quiet as ever when driving sanely.

My driving age son and I both agree that we feel a slight boost in performance (which I know someone will say is all in our minds). It definitely has increased throttle response significantly (which was a huge surprise=bonus)

Drone is negligible at 75 in 6th but does enter in at about 80. Its not too bad (at least to my ears)

I drove my teen aged son and his girl to her house last night (about 30 miles @ 79 mph) and I could easily hear their backseat conversation.

I adore the way it sounds when engine braking now and from out side the car I hear more of the turbo sound.

Best $60 I have spent on the car.
*APR Stg 1+ * InJen Stg 1 CAI * South Bend Stage 3 Drop In * F Series TOB w/NLS Shims * BMS Clutch Stop * HPA 40% Short Shifter * Raceseng Slammer Engraved Shift Knob * HPA 75A Subframe Puck * Res Delete * 35% Tint Windows-20% Hatch* Black-Red Front Emblem * Blacked Out Rear Emblem & Badge * Yellow Lamin-X Fogs * Smoked Sidemarkers * Monster Mats * 3M Red Footwell effect * BT Dongle for TorquePro *

Last edited by Irishbri; 10-19-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Irishbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #22
Irishbri
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishbri View Post
I just did this. I love the way it sounds now. Before all I could hear was engine, but now the sound is balanced under load and practically as quiet as ever when driving sanely.

My driving age son and I both agree that we feel a slight boost in performance (which I know someone will say is all in our minds). It definitely has increased throttle response significantly (which was a huge surprise=bonus)

Drone is negligible at 75 in 6th but does enter in at about 80. Its not too bad (at least to my ears)

I drove my teen aged son and his girl to her house last night (about 30 miles @ 79 mph) and I could easily hear their backseat conversation.

I adore the way it sounds when engine braking now and from out side the car I hear more of the turbo sound.

Best $60 I have spent on the car.
A few more thoughts.....I believe that "Drone" is subjective to a point....at least if it is not so overpowering as to severely impinge on driving enjoyment...

An example.....I got my oldest an off-brand "Magnaflow" muffler for his 2000 Eclipse GS and it really sounds great....except at about 3000 rpm.....there it is obnoxious and would drive me crazy if that car were my DD.....

The resonator/mid muffler delete on my GTI is perfect for me....I wanted to be able to hear the exhaust under load and it gave me that.....there are conditions where some people might consider the exhaust to be "droney" but i feel it doesn't cross the line into what I call drone.....however, YMMV.....
*APR Stg 1+ * InJen Stg 1 CAI * South Bend Stage 3 Drop In * F Series TOB w/NLS Shims * BMS Clutch Stop * HPA 40% Short Shifter * Raceseng Slammer Engraved Shift Knob * HPA 75A Subframe Puck * Res Delete * 35% Tint Windows-20% Hatch* Black-Red Front Emblem * Blacked Out Rear Emblem & Badge * Yellow Lamin-X Fogs * Smoked Sidemarkers * Monster Mats * 3M Red Footwell effect * BT Dongle for TorquePro *

Last edited by Irishbri; 10-19-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #23
Irishbri
FIA GT Champion

Update after 1000 miles: Over all loudness has increased....again might be "droney" to some but to me the car sounds like it grew a pair of balls now compared to stock....
Old 10-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #24
motoo344
Ready to race!

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishbri View Post
Update after 1000 miles: Over all loudness has increased....again might be "droney" to some but to me the car sounds like it grew a pair of balls now compared to stock....
I don't find it droney at all but then again I've driven some cars that have droned pretty bad. The R32 with EIP race exhaust was bad.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:42 AM   #25
tkelly0727
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 mk6 gti DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSwede View Post
Is the resonator integral to passing smog, or is it just there to muffle the exhaust sound? Will the car throw a CEL with it deleted? Also, has anyone replaced the stock resonator with eg. a louder sounding magnaflow res?
No it has no part to do with smog, because its after the CAT. Yes, theres alot of people on here who either delete the resonator, or replace it was another resonator the vibrant bottle style resonator is a popular option and it adds a nice growl just a tad louder than stock I believe.
tkelly0727 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #26
FlavMK6
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: MK6
I️ need to do this to my car. Which I️ find pretry loud already with the stock exhaust. I️ love the way the car just sounds stock I️ have 108k. I️ was thinking about the resonator delete. I️ dont think the car would sound like a Honda cus itís not a Honda. Lol Iíll prolly do it one of this days.

FlavMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #27
Laimface
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '09 Candy White GTi 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavMK6 View Post
I️ need to do this to my car. Which I️ find pretry loud already with the stock exhaust. I️ love the way the car just sounds stock I️ have 108k. I️ was thinking about the resonator delete. I️ dont think the car would sound like a Honda cus itís not a Honda. Lol Iíll prolly do it one of this days.

Resonator delete with downpipe sounds exactly like a straight piped Honda. If you're wanting actual power, leave the resonator in and get a downpipe & Cobb Accessport map with Stratified.

Being such a high mileage, have you changed your timing chain tensioner for the updated model yet??
Old 01-13-2018, 12:48 PM   #28
FlavMK6
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
Resonator delete with downpipe sounds exactly like a straight piped Honda. If you're wanting actual power, leave the resonator in and get a downpipe & Cobb Accessport map with Stratified.

Being such a high mileage, have you changed your timing chain tensioner for the updated model yet??

No I️ havenít, I️ literally just got the car about 4-5 months ago....2 weeks into it the car was crashed by a LYFT DRIVER that ran a red light, my car was parkedí no one in it or hurt..... pretty much I️ fixed the car my self (spindle, swaybar link, trailing arm, tie rod....etc) got the wheel back to straight and back to driving, than figured out I️ need a new wheel hubí. But nun crazy, now I️ just need body work and a new bumper.

The other nite the car started acting upí it was something like -100 degrees no joke. Weird noises started coming out of the engine bay. And a few days later I️ got the engine lights P2178-P2187. And than I️ figures out my serpentine belt split in two

....and I️ thought the only worry I️ was going to have was to check(change) the damm timing chain tensioner haha....HAHAHAHAfuxkingggshiieeett!

I️ wish I️ never bought this car. -_____-. But oh well I️ did and now I️ gotta make the best out of it and I️ donít mind working on it. Iím in New Jersey, have anyone done their timing chain tensioner before? If so Iím a tattoo artist and I️m willing to trade some work also have cash @Zets_dead is my instagram I️ have my work there

FlavMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote