GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat 18: CAR MODS GALORE; CAR PROBLEMS GALORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaber

Modero
My in-laws want to sell their apartment building in a few years. They offered it to my wife and her brother. But her brother is broke AF and lives in VA. So we would be doing all the work and fronting all the money that is needed for repairs, taxes, utils, maintenance, showings, etc. We would have to figure out a way to buy him out or agree on getting a bigger chunk of the change.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
yikes, yeah - some good property management companies i heard take minimal cuts at least, to handle all that shizz for you.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
hi EJ, hi. Hi everyone!

Magnaflow sounds SOOOO GOOD on the GTI, lawd.

Wife asked last night, "If we get the new car, can my exhaust come off the GTI and get put on the new one, since it's the same engine?"

Sorry dear, no.

on a conf call/webex dealie - what is the car being considered, Jim? Macan?

Ya - looking at 1 year old CPO'd Macans. Likely the 2.0T model. I'd love to do an "S" but it pushes us out of where I'd ideally like to be with the money game - the advantage (to me) is to get into something a little cheaper and save a few bucks while keeping the wife happy. Plus the S gets pretty terrible mileage, and in the end, I don't think the wife wants to spend double the gas she does on the GTI.

When I put it to her to tell me her requirements, she said:
Heated steering wheel
Panorama roof
Cooled seats
Navigation

She didn't seem to care so much about power... so I'll roll with a 2.0 model.

Last edited:

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
My in-laws want to sell their apartment building in a few years. They offered it to my wife and her brother. But her brother is broke AF and lives in VA. So we would be doing all the work and fronting all the money that is needed for repairs, taxes, utils, maintenance, showings, etc. We would have to figure out a way to buy him out or agree on getting a bigger chunk of the change.

Yeah fuck that noise. Biz arrangements with family almost never go well. Someone gets fucked.

All or nothing.

yikes, yeah - some good property management companies i heard take minimal cuts at least, to handle all that shizz for you.

+1 on property management companies. Tho their cut is usually enough to where your financial gains come from selling the property due to equity and rising home values, than actual net monthly income back to yourself.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Goodmorning, everyone. Also Ej. How are you today?

Renters can be evil story below.

Had a man approach me when coming home one day, asked me if i saw the tenants recently around the area that belonged to (points to house) . I said no i havent seen them in awhile..... (like errr who are you). Hands me his card, tells me if i see the tenants around the area to call him cause they skipped out on 3 months rent, put holes in the walls and messed up stuff...also that the new tenants had moved in and the old tenants were coming back and stealing their mail along with theirs.

Pretty crazy story, obviously im not about to get involved with those crazies, took the card and threw it in the trash .

I just saw some Youtube videos on this recently, where these Section-8 tenents just destroy these really nice homes. WTF is wrong with people .

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Not sure. I bought them from Teh Jaber. Probably 350-ish?

Depending on what ultimately happens I might have a Magnaflow cat-back available too. Wifey gotta make up her mind and then I have to decide if I feel ambitious enough to wrestle with an exhaust swap.

I’d be very interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
oh wow yeah, Jim.

How about some kind of Audi - that would fit the bill and be cheaper, same stuff, performance, etc, and save some cash probably. CPO good way to go as well.

Jaber

Modero
Yeah fuck that noise. Biz arrangements with family almost never go well. Someone gets fucked.

All or nothing.

+1 on property management companies. Tho their cut is usually enough to where your financial gains come from selling the property due to equity and rising home values, than actual net monthly income back to yourself.

Yeah, it sucks. Because the income from that property is a good amount (to me at least). The building is about 40 years old and they recently had to dump a lot of money into it, fixing water heater, frozen lines, electrical, new appliances etc. So a lot of the big ticket items have been taken care of. Before they sell it, I might sit down with the wife and really go through all of our options.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion

Save the hassle give it to me. Ill live in a 20 unit building all to myself lol

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion

I’d avoid joining him. Family business sucks
It's a PITA. You can make real money at it if you own multiple properties. One bad tenant can fuck over your entire year tho.

My aunt and uncle had a few properties out in Woodstock and Marengo for a long time. They were definitely "slumlords" - most (or all?) of their tenants were Section-8. The income they got from it was reasonably healthy, even with the PITA-ness of it. But they had 3 properties, 2 of which were multi-unit dwellings, which helped. It's really a #'s game.

I remember spending summers with them on their farm, and on the weekends my cousins and I were dropped off at the various properties to do maintenance. I also remember doing lots of "move out inspections", they had a lot of churn. We always had to replace carpet.... for some reason, section-8 people like to piss on carpet for some reason. The units were dumps to begin with but they were always TRASHED when the tenant moved out.

So long as you're handy AND have a free supply of manual labor (10-14 year olds work best) it's a way to make a few bucks a month.

This. All of it. Dad had 20+ rental houses. Bad tenants are a nightmare. They destroy everything and it’s not worth court time to get money to fix everything they’ve damaged. Time lost and money gone. It’s great when it’s great and sucks when it sucks.

All or nothing.

^^

hi EJ, hi. Hi everyone!

Magnaflow sounds SOOOO GOOD on the GTI, lawd.

Borla sounds better. Iono

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
oh wow yeah, Jim.

How about some kind of Audi - that would fit the bill and be cheaper, same stuff, performance, etc, and save some cash probably. CPO good way to go as well.

She said she'd be happiest if she could "mash up" the Boxster and GTI into one car.

That's pretty much a Macan.

We could look at the Audi Q5 since it's the same car (and save $10k in the process) but the Audi is pretty soft by comparison. It's not sporty, it's much more luxury - unless we looked at an SQ5. Which is within striking distance, but the Audi CPO is not anywhere as good as the Porsche CPO. Porsche CPO is 6 years and unlimited miles. Macan handles awesome, drives like a sports car, that is practical.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I would. Made many trips to chi land to buy services lol.

Also depends if we keep wife’s car or not. Anyone wanna buy a Jetta sport wagon for $10k?

Status
Not open for further replies.