GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat 18: CAR MODS GALORE; CAR PROBLEMS GALORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Sprinkle it on some crackers? :iono: Shouldn't require electricity.

Perhaps I should’ve just eaten some beans with chocolate.
Chocolate covered coffee beans are delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
So I sorta kinda blew my own mind the other day.

Wife and I are kicking around the idea of some minor remodeling to the "master suite" in our house.

Basically the master bedroom takes up the entire front half of the 2nd floor. Giant "bedroom", decent walk-in closet, then this stupid "sitting area" (that just collects junk), then the master bath.

I never really understood those "sitting areas". So we're thinking we might combine the current walk-in closet, with the wasted "sitting area" to be a giant master closet. Then update the bathroom, which currently is a 5pc, including a giant bathtub (that never gets used)... convert it to a 4pc. Do a big "walk-in" shower, proper poop closet, double vanity, etc.

Original:

Updated idea:

As I don't own an old enough PC anymore to run AutoCAD (I own a legit copy legally but it's WAY old) I opted to use SketchUp. SUPER cool program, very easy to use. The above was all done in SketchUp.

Cool thing about SketchUp? It's easy to convert to 3D:

From there you can load up different textures onto the surfaces (tile, carpet, etc).

I then found a SketchUp plugin called "VRSketch"....

#mindblown

I can now "walk through" my design. I can edit and change the design in 1:1 size. Move walls, change materials, rearrange shit. It's wild.

If you're into creating and remodeling.... TOTALLY worth it.

Once my wife sees it (I was up until like midnight last night fucking around) I'll never get her out of it. I wound up modeling our entire 2nd floor. You can use it to rearrange furniture, paint colors, etc.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Is SketchUp free? I got to a create account page. Is it gonna ask for a credit card next?

Phur

Autocross Champion
ChiChat 18: Pro Tip Friday, Just The Tip

Goodmorning, how is everyone? Its friday, be happy...except for those who work over the weekends im sorry. Weekend plans?

Work. [emoji19]

bill burr grind? sounds fun[/B]

I’m guessing that is a person? iono

its all natural doe

So’s Cocaine... just sayin’.

makes me shake if i drink em

Just makes me feel shitty.

pick me up some coffee iono

I wish I lived closer

bro tip, i hate the holidays

More than words can express! The whole “holiday spirit” concept is total bullshit. Why does it have to be in that month and a half window for someone not to be a raging asshole? How about don’t be a dick the rest of the year too just because, don’t be a dick! I hate Christmas music. I can’t stand all of the garish decorations and lights everywhere. It’s like Vegas exploded.

ill gouge your wood

Jesus hell! Boostie gets rough!

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Sprinkle it on some crackers? :iono: Shouldn't require electricity.

Too soft. Even the "SQ5 vs Macan" reviews online all say the Macan is more sporting. When the Audi "wins" the comparo it's merely because of price.

If she's trading in a 3 year old Boxster S + a GTI... and wants a "mash up" of those two cars... the Audi, even "S" version, is gonna be too soft.

This.

Our dining room has cheap Ikea chairs. They were like 20 bucks a piece. We have to replace them pretty often.

Our kitchen table and chairs we got from Ashley. MUCH better quality.

I don't know how anybody older than 17 or 18 can stand being on that page.

Come to the city where the people who work for a living are, and you might have some takers. #burbsLOL

Believe me, if I didn’t have to be out here for a wedding I’d never set foot in this place.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Is SketchUp free? I got to a create account page. Is it gonna ask for a credit card next?

There is a free, and a pro, version.

For 2018 the free version is browser based.

Try to find a link for "SketchUp Make 2017" - that's the previous "free" version. If you have a VR headset you definitely want this version.

When you first install, it gives you a 2-week (or 30-day?) demo of the "pro" and if you don't buy, it just reverts to the free version.

There's a link here: https://download.cnet.com/SketchUp-Make-64-bit-2017/3000-6677_4-77424197.html

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
So I sorta kinda blew my own mind the other day.

Wife and I are kicking around the idea of some minor remodeling to the "master suite" in our house.

Basically the master bedroom takes up the entire front half of the 2nd floor. Giant "bedroom", decent walk-in closet, then this stupid "sitting area" (that just collects junk), then the master bath.

I never really understood those "sitting areas". So we're thinking we might combine the current walk-in closet, with the wasted "sitting area" to be a giant master closet. Then update the bathroom, which currently is a 5pc, including a giant bathtub (that never gets used)... convert it to a 4pc. Do a big "walk-in" shower, proper poop closet, double vanity, etc.

Original:

Updated idea:

As I don't own an old enough PC anymore to run AutoCAD (I own a legit copy legally but it's WAY old) I opted to use SketchUp. SUPER cool program, very easy to use. The above was all done in SketchUp.

Cool thing about SketchUp? It's easy to convert to 3D:

From there you can load up different textures onto the surfaces (tile, carpet, etc).

I then found a SketchUp plugin called "VRSketch"....

#mindblown

I can now "walk through" my design. I can edit and change the design in 1:1 size. Move walls, change materials, rearrange shit. It's wild.

If you're into creating and remodeling.... TOTALLY worth it.

Once my wife sees it (I was up until like midnight last night fucking around) I'll never get her out of it. I wound up modeling our entire 2nd floor. You can use it to rearrange furniture, paint colors, etc.

SketchUp is rad

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
There is a free, and a pro, version.

For 2018 the free version is browser based.

Try to find a link for "SketchUp Make 2017" - that's the previous "free" version. If you have a VR headset you definitely want this version.

When you first install, it gives you a 2-week (or 30-day?) demo of the "pro" and if you don't buy, it just reverts to the free version.

There's a link here: https://download.cnet.com/SketchUp-Make-64-bit-2017/3000-6677_4-77424197.html

Thanks dude. Ill check it out. I used to have a design program I used a lot but its outdated as hell.. Windows XP compatible but not compatible with 7 and 10. Ill look for the 2017 version.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
https://vrsketch.eu/

This is the VR plugin. Cool little video that lets you see some of the cool shit you can do with it.

Phur

Autocross Champion
ill see my way out, i know nothing about cad.

headed to phurs for coffee.

I’ll be at work by the time you get here. Just tell the wife I sent you. [emoji16]

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I’ll be at work by the time you get here. Just tell the wife I sent you. [emoji16]

(knocks on phurs front door, wife answers)

"hi i know phur from the internet, im here to play red dead redemption. may i come in?"

:iono:

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
(knocks on phurs front door, wife answers)

"hi i know phur from the internet, im here to play red dead redemption. may i come in?"

:iono:

LOL

Ya and she's all, "Who dafuq is 'fur'?"

Status
Not open for further replies.