GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dafuture's Slow(ish) Build Thread

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
Glad to hear they're working well for you! So far I'm leaning towards just running Stoptech pads (cheap and plentiful), but I'm open to other options as well. My mechanic wanted me tor run Hawk HPS (I think), but I didn't want to deal with constant squealing given that I spend a good amount of time in traffic.

In other news....I purchased my first set of coilovers the other day. They should be in tomorrow. I grabbed a set of HPA SHS coils for the MK5s. They're essentially KW V1s with a softer ride. The MK5 versions fit our cars fine, but have a slightly different lowering range. The DG Springs are already pending sale, so I'm really looking forward to feeling the difference.

Looks like you are back to being actively working on the car :) I have been taking a break for some time now. Hope to be back on v soon!

Stoptech Street pads have been serving me very well. Recommended :thumbsup:

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Looks like you are back to being actively working on the car :) I have been taking a break for some time now. Hope to be back on v soon!

Stoptech Street pads have been serving me very well. Recommended :thumbsup:

Seems we have the same taste in parts lol.

I'm honestly not being too active with it. The brake bushings and euro switch I saw as both cheap incremental improvements. The only reason I jumped on the coils is they were an absolute steal. I got them for a fraction of what they cost and was able to offset a chunk of it with the pre-sale of my Drivergear springs. It just got to the point where it would be stupid not to haha.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Couple more changes this week...

My new (to me) coilovers came in last week. Ended up getting a really well taken care of set of HPA SHS 204 coils. I had them installed Sunday afternoon and so far they feel fantastic. In a lot of ways the ride is better than my old setup (DG Springs/ Stock shocks). The car rides smoother, feels better dampened, and definitely handles better. Not to mention the added benefit of leveling out the rake I had going on so I don't have crazy fender gap in the rear. They're essentially reworked KW V1s so I was expecting them to be good, but this being my first set of coils ever I am extremely impressed.

Next thing up is that I actually traded away my BBS CHs. They were beautiful wheels that I loved looking at, but constantly worrying about them getting damaged was wearing on me. I had already bought a new set of wheels to replace them, Neuspeed RSE 12s in Hyper Black. Those went on the car today, while the new set (Enkei RPF1s) have been relegated to the garage for the moment. I'm actually digging both looks, so I may hang onto them both for awhile. Plus I have the added benefit of both being lightweight, so the BBS feel like boat anchors in comparison. I'm loving the steering feel and improvement in handling as well.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Small update - Happened to find a BNIB Neuspeed RSE 12 Hyper Black for a solid price on one of the facebook groups. Snapped it up so I can replace the one wheel that had been a little scuffed and got further banged up during a recent road trip. The wheels are coming off in the next week or so anyhow, but I'm thinking the 215 Hankooks are going to be on their way out next spring in favor of some wider, stickier rubber.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Long hiatus... but finally out of winter mode! Car feels much better with the Neuspeeds back. I have a couple small projects coming up, namely my euro switch, brake upgrade, and finding some new rubber.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Welcome back! What brakes are you going with? I recently got new pads and upgraded to slotted rotors. Much better feedback and bite :thumbsup:

Thanks man! I think I'm going to stick with stock rotors for the moment, but Tirerack has one heck of a deal on Stoptech Street Pads so I think I'm going to go with those. Between that, some better brake fluid, and the Tyrolsport Caliper Kit I have laying around it should yield much better braking.

What setup did you go with?

St3ph3nsvw12GTI

Ready to race!
Thanks man! I think I'm going to stick with stock rotors for the moment, but Tirerack has one heck of a deal on Stoptech Street Pads so I think I'm going to go with those. Between that, some better brake fluid, and the Tyrolsport Caliper Kit I have laying around it should yield much better braking.

Whats your current mileage? I just upgrades all my pads and rotors. The stock setup was getting worn and I was at 82k mi. Bought stoptech slotted rotors and street pad from rockauto.com for $350 well worth the ugrade! Has a better bite. Also still need to get new brake fluid in so that will help little more.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Whats your current mileage? I just upgrades all my pads and rotors. The stock setup was getting worn and I was at 82k mi. Bought stoptech slotted rotors and street pad from rockauto.com for $350 well worth the ugrade! Has a better bite. Also still need to get new brake fluid in so that will help little more.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

$350 all in isn't bad at all! I'm only at 45k miles so the stock setup still has life in it, but I desperately need an upgrade. With the stock setup you essentially get no braking at all until you jam on the pedal. I don't track my car (yet), but I think I'm well overdue on fixing this. My last things otherwise is some new rubber and cooling, but I don't know if/when those will happen.

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion

The brake-stiffening kit from Tyrolsport is a must for our cars. That alone does wonders to the feel/bite :thumbsup:

I am running the same Stoptech Street pads with Stoptech slotted rotors. This combo of three is perfect for street use.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
The brake-stiffening kit from Tyrolsport is a must for our cars. That alone does wonders to the feel/bite :thumbsup:

I am running the same Stoptech Street pads with Stoptech slotted rotors. This combo of three is perfect for street use.

Cool! I'm excited to see what it feels like then :)

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
I dont have slotted rotors but I installed stoptech street pads and the tyrol sport brake stiffening kit about 3 weeks ago. Im not sure how much of an increased feel the slotted rotors give but the brake stiffening kit doesnt make a world of difference. They feel a little tighter and stronger but nothing crazy. I heard someone say it gives you a renewed confidence in the brakes and thats a good way to put it. I did a fluid flush with OEM fluid as well and I bet that made more of a difference then the stiffening kit. Definitly worth it for the price though.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I dont have slotted rotors but I installed stoptech street pads and the tyrol sport brake stiffening kit about 3 weeks ago. Im not sure how much of an increased feel the slotted rotors give but the brake stiffening kit doesnt make a world of difference. They feel a little tighter and stronger but nothing crazy. I heard someone say it gives you a renewed confidence in the brakes and thats a good way to put it. I did a fluid flush with OEM fluid as well and I bet that made more of a difference then the stiffening kit. Definitly worth it for the price though.

I talked to my mechanic about the stiffening stuff when I was having new rotors and pads installed. He pretty much said something along the lines of, if you need to add that stuff for a better brake feel then something else is wrong. I thought my brakes felt fine so I didn't bother with it. I feel like my brakes do feel better after the new rotors/pads though, and I'm not sure the stiffening kit would have been worth it at all.

mamock116

Ready to race!
The stiffening kit made a very noticeable difference to me. The brakes felt less mushy after laps at the track. Same rotors, same pads, only change was the Tyrol caliper stiffening kit.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
The stiffening kit makes a difference if the bushings (or rubber grommets or whatever) on your brakes are already shot. Those dry out and deteriorate over time and they allow the pad to flex and I guess feel mushy. My car had 45k, the bushings were fine and the pads still had 50% life left so the stiffening kit didnt drastically improve my brake set up. I dont track the car though so I cant speak to that perspective. I bought it for $95 shipped though and it was definitly worth it for the price for the upgraded bushings.