GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about UnitedMotorsport tune

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Hi Flow, chances the dealer installed the UM Tune you paid for, the Canadian to US US exchange is really high.

I'm currently at my place in SC, there is a guy here with the UM 91/93 Tune and his 2.5 gurgles alot when he backs off, there is nothing wrong just unburnt fuel meeting air in an unmuffled system. You young guys get off on the sounds of open exhaust but as Guru quite accurately pointed out our normally aspirated engines require some back pressure to make power. The stock exhaust on the 2.5 was derived from the MK5 Rabbits and there are guys doing 14 second quarter mile tickets t the track, using the stock 55mm catback exhaust system and 15 inch steel wheels. That's one of the reasons I kept my stock mid muffler and only installed the GTI axle back muffler.

VW shafted us when they installed long 1st and 2nd gears in the 5 speed, that one of the reasons why the 2.5 doesn't accelerate like the GTI even with the the UM tune.

I received an answer from UM, they say they only offer a stage 1 N/A or SRI version. They advise their price at 350 USD which is around 480 CAD. I paid around 700$. The dealer asked me if I wanted stage 1 or 2. But UM tells me that there is no stage 2 for the N/A. I will call Unix tomorrow and try to get the N/A version flashed.

As for our car needing back pressure, I'm pretty interested on explanations ;)

Edit: Called UM today and they said I got the stage 1 NA tune and the back-fire sound is due to the fact that the rev hang is removed. Even if the tune is right, I would say the dealer is not honest when he told me that he put stage 2. Anyways, everything is fine. At that price, maybe I should have try out the IE tune...

Have a good day everyone ;)

Last edited:

madbikes

Ready to race!
VW shafted us when they installed long 1st and 2nd gears in the 5 speed, that one of the reasons why the 2.5 doesn't accelerate like the GTI even with the the UM tune.

The power band is different. The final drive is also not as big on the Golf 5-speed, which is even smaller on 2012+.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The UM tune greatly reduces rev-hang, which is the slow closing of the throttle plate (which controls the amount of air entering the engine) when you let up. As a result, after you have been hard on the gas pedal and suddenly let up, the throttle plate snaps shot, causing the mixture to favor fuel (rich) for a brief moment. And that unburnt fuel causes the backfire.

The UM tune actually makes the car run slightly leaner compared to stock tune. The stock tune is designed to run slightly rich to reduce engine temperature and therefore be slightly safer.
Peter, I was able to get a backup of my stock ECU a while back on my own :happyanim: but making sense of all the data is proving to be quite hard, I can see the maps but need to do some more studying before it makes more cents. Did I mention this will take a while. :D I mean there are alot of maps ! Once I figure which ones to change I'll try what you suggested.

Last edited:

Yayotas

Ready to race!
I'll film mine and see if the same that you are getting I have the UM tune and I got it at FIXXFEST from USP and I love it. I have the APR CAI and and custom exhaust.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
...The UM tune actually makes the car run slightly leaner compared to stock tune. The stock tune is designed to run slightly rich to reduce engine temperature and therefore be slightly safer.
Peter, your info has a lot of merit, I've been looking at the fuel Maps from my car, I don't know the proper quantity to get to the magic 14.7:1 ratio, but they look pretty healthy. The big discovery for me tho is the fact that the Timing is looks to be severely retarded on my car, meaning it appears that there is hardly none down low, that why the torque surges past 3k RPM. I can prolly go ahead and bump the Timing and see an immediate gain in power and response with out damaging the engine, this is prolly what UM, IE and Malone are doing.

I'm going to go ahead and adjust the timing between 2k-3k, the next couple of days, but with my Son back from school its hard to get the car to pull the ECU out of it to reflash it.... plus scary as sh!t too !!!

Attachments

• StockDynoTorqueMap.png
    StockDynoTorqueMap.png
    158.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
A new tool a ordered a while back arrived today, and I was able to read the ECU with it through the OBD port, the confusing thing is the new file is alot smaller than my original file.... confused as sh!t now! :iono:

I now have BIG Respect for these Tuners, they are worth every cent of the money they charge for a Tune.:clap:

EDIT: It's easier to tune the 2.0 TSI file as there is a definition file that tells what the maps are but none for the 2.5, so I have to try and recognize them by what the 3D maps look like.

Last edited:

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
A new tool a ordered a while back arrived today, and I was able to read the ECU with it through the OBD port, the confusing thing is the new file is alot smaller than my original file.... confused as sh!t now! :iono:

I now have BIG Respect for these Tuners, they are worth every cent of the money they charge for a Tune.:clap:

EDIT: It's easier to tune the 2.0 TSI file as there is a definition file that tells what the maps are but none for the 2.5, so I have to try and recognize them by what the 3D maps look like.

Would it be possible to get the files ? I'm curious to see how they looks :)