GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which Mod Will Increase Steering Response?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like you need more force applied on the wheels.

Dampers, Bushings, Sway bars, springs etc. etc. will help with that.

Oh, and Tyrol Subframe Collars. I swear by them and suggest them to anyone and everyone. Think of the UB and RB. The collars essentially make the subframe another TRUE chassis brace. Call it the "FB" :)

In what order would you do those mods? Obviously can't do all of it in one shot. I already have stiff coilovers which I can adjust.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
In what order would you do those mods? Obviously can't do all of it in one shot. I already have stiff coilovers which I can adjust.

Height Adjustable and Damping? First, you want to be around 25"FTG for proper LCA alignment and force transfer. Having your LCAs actually point upwards is bad for force transfer.

Next, play with your damping adjustments to find a sweet spot. That should help a bit.

Next, is up to you. Since sway bars mostly help at the limit feel, you might want something more direct to your every day application. I run sways and they definitely help the cornering dynamics, but in ever day driving I dont really feel them.

Might I suggest S3 Bushings or WALK Bushings? Those will increase feedback and help with force transfer.

Tyrol Bushings help with steering inputs and subframe planar slipping in every day use.

TT-Strut Mounts always are a good one.

Chassis Braces help prevent the flex which often give a "numb" feeling.

Its all where you want your end effect to be...but I think picking any of them will help.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
My Personal Route if Starting from Stock:

DG Springs + Dampers + S3 Bushings + TT Mounts
Chassis Braces (UB, RB, XB)
Tyrol Collar Kit
Sway Bars
Wheels and Tires
Passat LCAs
Pasat Knuckles

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
WALK will need a special order from Tyrol due to the changes in bushings. Keep that in mind.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
To make it short with a different approach. You need the following:

- Michelin PSS tires (all seasons are awful in feel)
- more (front) tire pressure
- stiffer LCA bushings (SuperPro, WALK, S3/TT)
- raising roll center (SuperPro ball joints, H2Sport hubs)
- more direct steering ratio (S3 hubs which have a 10 % shorter steering arm)
- stiffer top mounts (TT, 034)
- stiffer springs (to many to count)
- stiffer dampers (Bilstein, Koni)
- stiffer (front) sway bar (26/28 mm)
- more camber (improved turn in, less understeer)
- more caster (heavier steering)

I did almost all of this and yes - it very clearly improved steering feel, precision, response and turn in.

Last edited:

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
You running stock wheel size?

Tire pressure and alignment would be my first check.
fifteen52 tarmac's 18x8.5 with 225/40/18 nitto neogens (all season)

To make it short with a different approach. You need the following:

- Michelin PSS tires (all seasons are awful in feel)
- more (front) tire pressure
- stiffer LCA bushings (SuperPro, WALK, S3/TT)
- raising roll center (SuperPro ball joints, H2Sport hubs)
- more direct steering ratio (S3 hubs which have a 10 % shorter steering arm)
- stiffer top mounts (TT, 034)
- stiffer springs (to many to count)
- stiffer dampers (Bilstein, Koni)
- stiffer (front) sway bar (26/28 mm)
- more camber (improved turn in, less understeer)
- more caster (heavier steering)

I did almost all of this and yes - it very clearly improved steering feel, precision, response and turn in.
in that order?

I think I need to figure out the right settings on my setup. I just don't know how to approach fine tuning the suspension... I don't want to aimlessly try settings.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
stiffer shit / bushings = rougher and louder aily driver... keep that in mind.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, my goal is to have the best daily I can get. I already think its too stiff, so I need to mod carefully. Perhaps even sell and try something else out.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I highly recommend those sway bars from earlier... you want better steering feel, more of a gokart feel, having better turn-in and rotating the rear a little w/o affecting ride quality?? buy that kit. best bang for the buck. you can thank me later ;)

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Unless I'm misunderstanding his question, there are only 2 things that will make the desired change:

quicker steering rack
smaller steering wheel

I think it could be a combination of dampening, ride height, and tire pressure. Tire pressure and dampening is on the low side for ride comfort.

I remember when I had an Eclipse on coils, making it stiff would change the steering characteristics. As for future suspension mods, I'm not sure if I want to go Unibrace UB, rear/front sways, or Tyrol Stiffening kit.