GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel Additives?

MonthOLDpickle

Ready to race!
Should I do this once or something, use an additive in my fuel?

I don't know which kind but I see them all the time.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Don't even bother... these additives have been proven to have little to no effect and in fact will make you lose horsepower and gunk up the engine.

X2! Snake oil, smoke & mirrors. Use premium gas and try to purchase from stations with a LOT of use (no water in the gas, the pumps get used frequently, etc.). Amazingly, Costco fits that criteria here as there's always a line. Although some claim that top tier suppliers will use a better additive package. Personally, I think that's crap since all brand name gas has to meet state standards, etc. But if you feel better using Shell or BP or whatever, go for it.

MonthOLDpickle

Ready to race!
Yeah I use costco near work. Usually gas stations get their gas at the same place.

waffleman

Ready to race!
X2! Snake oil, smoke & mirrors. Use premium gas and try to purchase from stations with a LOT of use (no water in the gas, the pumps get used frequently, etc.). Amazingly, Costco fits that criteria here as there's always a line. Although some claim that top tier suppliers will use a better additive package. Personally, I think that's crap since all brand name gas has to meet state standards, etc. But if you feel better using Shell or BP or whatever, go for it.

I used to think the same as you - until my 05 Ford Freestyle started having difficulties starting the engine in cold weather - I had to pump the gas repeatedly to get it going. I was getting cheap, brandless gas at the time. I decided to to switch to brand gas stations (BP, Shell,..) per advice from friends, and the problem totally disappeared. That was the only change I made, so I have to think that the cheap gas was the reason for it all.

So now, I avoid the generic gas stations and stick to big names.

It'd be nice to have ingredient labels on gas pumps though, so that we could all really know what the differences are (or are not).