GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cost of new engine

Coop8891

Welp... it happened the timing chain went out on my 2010... At 105k miles... VW got me when I was at 101 with the timing chain claim... Just in time!

Some how driving it for 2 days with oil pressure low coming on on right hand turns and when I would decelerate. (also already replaced the oil pressure sensor as it had gone bad 2 times now) figured I would be okay. Final day it did the reg oil blinking light. I took it to the shop.

They have found LOTS of shrapnel from the engine in the oil pan and around the engine. I will have photos once they email them to me.

So I am now in the market for a new engine!!!!

So... anyone know any prices I would be expecting for a new or used one?

I know I can almost buy a crate engine from IE for like 4k think a dealer would cost more?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Welp... it happened the timing chain went out on my 2010... At 105k miles... VW got me when I was at 101 with the timing chain claim... Just in time!

Some how driving it for 2 days with oil pressure low coming on on right hand turns and when I would decelerate. (also already replaced the oil pressure sensor as it had gone bad 2 times now) figured I would be okay. Final day it did the reg oil blinking light. I took it to the shop.

They have found LOTS of shrapnel from the engine in the oil pan and around the engine. I will have photos once they email them to me.

So I am now in the market for a new engine!!!!

So... anyone know any prices I would be expecting for a new or used one?

I know I can almost buy a crate engine from IE for like 4k think a dealer would cost more?

Probably best to try and buy a used low mileage motor unless you plan to keep it for a long time. Rebuilding one of these motors is costly and time consuming.

I don't know which TSI motor you have but try and find something like this. On ebay, new motor complete for under 5K.

LINK

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Yeah, I can't imagine buying a new motor for this car is worth it at all. They are already worth like nothing when you try to trade them in. VW cars depreciate in value terribly. Unless as someone else mentioned that you plan on keeping this car for a long time and absolutely need to have your current one, then I guess it's OK to do it otherwise it seems like a bad idea.

Coop8891

I have been quoted 6.5k for the engine and labor and the labor already done with previous work. I owe 9.5k still on the car... So I am torn on what I should do really. I know it is my decision but just stressed out about it all. Car is in great shape body wise. I have taken care of it very well and garage kept it every night and washed it all the time to knock get any salt off the car. I feel like it would be worth it as the car would be able to go another 100k easily at this point as long as I can keep the body going well.

Think it would be worth it at that point?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
If I were you, I’d spend the $6500 on one of these and spend the $1800 core charge on a ko3...

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuin...MIg8r9xeyV3AIVRY1-Ch1fFQ--EAkYAyABEgIpLvD_BwE
I'm not an expert but I don't think that will work 06F is an FSI engine, he needs at 06H I believe.

Just saying.

I have been quoted 6.5k for the engine and labor and the labor already done with previous work. I owe 9.5k still on the car... So I am torn on what I should do really. I know it is my decision but just stressed out about it all. Car is in great shape body wise. I have taken care of it very well and garage kept it every night and washed it all the time to knock get any salt off the car. I feel like it would be worth it as the car would be able to go another 100k easily at this point as long as I can keep the body going well.

Think it would be worth it at that point?
$9.5K +$6.5K is a sizeable chunk o change to be under water, in this case I'd fix it and get as much miles out of it as I could.

Make sure you get an engine with the updated tensioner, I'd get them to install the latest version of the Rear Main Seal (RMS) and new PCV Diaphragm as well, before they install the replacement engine.

Just saying.

Last edited:

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Just had the engine replaced on my mk5 TSI. The money you owe currently on the car is being spent regardless. So you can pay that money and the money for a new engine, or pay that money and finance another car. In my case, another car would've been at least 15k$. Cheaper to buy the engine. That was my decision making.

However, I love my car and plan on keeping it forever.

Coop8891

I am going to get the new engine at this point it would be the safer bet overall since I will have a brand new engine from the factory for my car. With the updated tensioner and everything.

I love the car as well. I was trying to save up and get another car for a daily and turn this into a monster... Well now I do not have to worry about rebuilding a abused engine! The small bonuses you can get out of shitty situations.

I appreciate the help and thoughts everyone!

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Car-part.com and find a low mileage '14-'17 Eos or CC engine for like $2k-$2.5k. You are less likely to get an engine that was abused if it is an Eos or CC

Coop8891

I have a local shop in Columbus Ohio doing it. German Autowerks. They are little on the higher side but they have awesome reviews and are 5 mins from my house.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I was not aware of that shop. Thanks for the heads up. When they are done doing the heart transplant on your GTI let us know how they did.

Coop8891

Engine swap is done I am at about 130 miles now on the new engine and it works great. I am still breaking the engine in for the first 1k miles so I cant go over 4k so soon as it starts getting fun I have to shift :(

I report back at 1k for a check up and then 3k for a oil change. So far it has been very good. Engine is very smooth and I did not realize how much power I was missing on my old engine. Its kinda weird... Barely breaking 3k and I am at what I would be at 4k on the old engine. Grated it had 100k on it. As it goes along I will let you know!