GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quiet Knock Sound When Parking

TheCor

Ready to race!
For a little while now I have been hearing a relatively quiet knocking sound, almost exclusively when turning and braking into a parking space within a parking lot. I don't hear it when braking in traffic. I feel like I hear it after I've turned into the spot and am braking to a stop while the wheel winds back to center. Its quiet enough that I don't believe I would catch it on video. It's generally one or two independent knocking sounds, doesn't seem to be a rotating part.

I'm at 97500mi, no suspension mods aside from a 24mm H&R rear sway. Sounds like it comes from the front end. I recently replaced the front pads and rotors, but I'm 99% sure I was hearing this beforehand (probably only questioning myself because I did the brake job recently but if anything in the brakes was that loose I'd know it by now.)

Worn bushings or steering linkage? Anyone experience anything like this before? I've owned it since new and hope to keep it until about 140k before moving on. So at the very least I'd like to know what it is and whether it warrants any work.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Most likely suspects are gonna be things like endlinks, upper strut mounts, and the subframe shifting.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie

TheCor

Ready to race!
Most likely suspects are gonna be things like endlinks, upper strut mounts, and the subframe shifting.

Are there any specific methods to finding play at any of those points? Is it something I can check with the front end in the air to remove load? Anywhere specific to check the subframe for play?

Thank you!

TheCor

Ready to race!
Updating thread for anyone who has a similar sound in the future...

I bought the ECS Tuning Subframe Collar kit. (Half the price of Tyrolsport and my car is at 98k so I really didn't want to spend that much.) Install took about 2 hours and was a little frustrating to get the bolts back in, but I think I managed to do so while seating all of the top collars properly. I also took that time to install a BFI Dogbone Mount insert (black/stage 1). I have only had a chance to drive the car immediately after for a couple miles, but I didn't notice the noise when pulling out of or entering my driveway, or when first braking. The car didn't feel modified...but tight. The steering felt more responsive and overall I just had the impression everything was more solid.

I'll update again with confirmation that the noises are resolved after I get to drive it some more. There was evidence of subframe shift when I lowered it and could see the rub marks on the body.

:thumbsup:

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Hey good update. Glad to know you were able to determine what it was and corrected it. Keep us in the loop.

TheCor

Ready to race!
Turns out the sound is not completely resolved. I hear it after backing, then pulling forward and first braking. Like a back to front shift, definitely up front. Would play in the upper strut mounts be obvious by hand?

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
didja check out your engine mounts? Unlikely, but doesn't hurt to take a look.

TheCor

Ready to race!
What are the chances the knock is coming from a worn engine mount? The one accessable below the coolant and washer tanks on the passenger side? Seems simple enough that I could remove it to see how its holding up at 98k.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I've got a knock sound I've been dealing with too. I've installed new motor mounts, end links, and upper strut mounts and it's still making the noise. My mechanic told me today it's my strut that's making the noise, so idk wtf I'm gonna do to fix that. I'm outside of warranty and I don't think you can buy a single strut.

TheCor

Ready to race!
I've got a knock sound I've been dealing with too. I've installed new motor mounts, end links, and upper strut mounts and it's still making the noise. My mechanic told me today it's my strut that's making the noise, so idk wtf I'm gonna do to fix that. I'm outside of warranty and I don't think you can buy a single strut.

Those are all things I was thinking of, and while they freshen up the suspension, I don't want to just throw money at it. I have a good relationship with my mechanic, maybe I'll have him check it out after all.

By the way, it seems ECS does carry individual front struts-
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Suspension/Shocks/Front/Standard/

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I have aftermarket coilovers that are discontinued now so I'm out of luck there. It seems a little better with new upper strut mounts, but I guess it's something I'll just have to live with.

TheCor

Ready to race!
*Update*

I think I may have discovered the cause of the noise physically - not just speculating.

First, I have pinpointed the noise. My friend noted that it is brake related - because if I back slowly after having last braked in a forward motion, and then brake, EVEN SLIGHTLY, just enough for pads to grab - I get the metallic knock. Then, I can pull forward and just BARELY touch the brakes - same noise. It seems that as the brakes grab ever so slightly to the rotor in one direction after having last braked in the opposite, something is shifting. Its not momentum related, so I feel this rules out motor mount, sway bar mounts, etc. I can be barely creeping forward, touch the brakes, and get the noise upon brake grab.

I took apart the passenger side front brake last night, pin out, slider bolts out, caliper pulled out, pads out. The caliper hanger is bolted on tight, the rotor has no play, no worries there. This is what I found.

When I did my front brakes a month or so back, I got Brembo OEM rotors and pads. I'm not sure if the inside (caliper adjacent) pad has a different design or no, but the Brembos have 3 sprung clips that you push inside of the piston. But what I found was that even when it is perfectly seated in the piston, it can rotate a few degrees in either direction. I have no idea if the original VW pads did that. Therefore, I think that when I brake forward vs reverse, it pulls on, or rotates the pad just a few degrees in either direction, and the notches at either end of the pad then bang against the inside of the caliper guides. Make sense? I should have taken pictures when I had it apart. It doesn't seem that this would lead to any issues. The pad isn't "loose" and isn't going anywhere, rotor is wearing evenly, but its annoying.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I had this not so long ago but I can’t really remember what the solution was!!! I’ve got a feeling it was to do with the discs having a lip around the edge and the new pads not yet being worn to that shape, pretty sure I changed the discs and it solved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I always use brembo OEM as well and they are fine now, I posted about this issue at the time but can’t find it now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk