GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any recent GTI owners wishing they waited for the MK7 US release?

Cbrad4d

I just moved to Los Angeles and picked up a 2013 Driver's Edition Manual. This was after 8 years of living in New York City and not having a car, and several of those years spent lusting over the GTI. Needless to say I'm in heaven with the car. However, I find myself occasionally lusting after the MK7 coming out this spring. Anyone else feel this way? I had no choice really, I needed a car right away and I'm really happy with it, ecstatic even, but the impending MK7 release is an itch that won't go away.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Cool first post bro.

This has been discussed many times. US specs for the MK7 are still not confirmed and given that you can get $5500 off a new drivers edition it will make the MK7 a ton more expensive than the outgoing Mk6.

A bit of a now vs then.

stynker

Ready to race!
When I saw pictures of the new MK7, I thought "boy...those stock lights look great!". And that was the end of it.

I love my '10 GTI more and more every time I drive it, especially after I add a little bit more of my own touch to the car. No regrets or envy on my end.

Legendary

Ready to race!
I have absolutely no regret in not waiting on a mk7. I got a pretty decent price reduction on my new mk6 back in july, and am happy to see the amount of mods available. I haven't seen anything on the mk7 that would sway me on it any more than what I have now.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
i'm really happy with my MK6, tho i am slightly jealous of the possible factory LSD and bigger nav/radio screen. rns315 is so tiny.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
I only love those seat which gives u a little shoulder support...hope we can swap them int our cars....:iono:

That steering....

corydd

Go Kart Champion
The Mk7 will be a better driver's car, but I just can't get myself to like the exterior design. I love the way my Mk6 looks and I don't think I'll be trading in for a Mk7 based on that alone.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
30th day of ownership, first payment was due today. WORTH EVERY PENNY. in my mind, the mk7 besides having the (look at me im a new car on the streets factor) is not worth waiting till end of next year. Factor in dealership overpricing, not budging on price, lack of aftermarket and support, possible recalls etc..mk6 was the best decision i could have made. Not to offend any other owners on the forum but when possible buying new is not always your best option because of the driving off the lot depreciation. (in their defense you dont have to worry about who had the car before you). I will say that i am somewhat jealous of the lighter frame, the damned gps screen, the led tails (if we get them) and some other minor perks. But for the most part, i like the fact that my gti frame is unique and not the new universal mqb platform. Additionally not that i mind but the car being built in mexico is somewhat odd till you realize that many "imported" brands are already stationed in america. The mk6 has such a great aftermarket already since its based off of the mk5 platform, as you can see the members on this forum are extremely helpful and willing to help (with the occasionally flaming) but still awesome. There is always a newer car thats better and worse than the previous model. Srt4 fast cheap, caliber srt4, fast cheap ugly (downgrade) . Owning a gti no matter what generation imo is being part of something pretty cool in terms of history. Much like fans of ford, chevy, dodge, muscle cars. We are a new generation of revived history from the original gti, an all around great driving experience underneath the gti badge.

McQueen77

Banned
I just moved to Los Angeles and picked up a 2013 Driver's Edition Manual. This was after 8 years of living in New York City and not having a car, and several of those years spent lusting over the GTI. Needless to say I'm in heaven with the car. However, I find myself occasionally lusting after the MK7 coming out this spring. Anyone else feel this way? I had no choice really, I needed a car right away and I'm really happy with it, ecstatic even, but the impending MK7 release is an itch that won't go away.

Where in West Hollywood? Man, I think the manual would push me over the edge if I lived over there and had to drive in that shit every day. No freeway anywhere near there, traffic all the time, santa monica, la cienega, melrose, beverly, robertson, sunset, wherever.. Youre better off having a moped, you'd make better time. I commend you having a manual in that part of LA.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
I read in Automobile Magazine that the MK7 is going to be released to the US in spring of next year... so, earlier than expected? Hopefully.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I know what your saying. ..I like the MK7 though I have read we will not be getting the larger navi screen. That is Europe only. We will get a "smaller" screen but the exact size was not specified.

One thing I do not do is buy a 1st year car. The mk6 in particular the 2013/14 have all our most of the bugs ironed out. A new version is an open book to new "issues" that all 1st year models have.

Best to wait a year or 2 and then buy. By then most major issues will be resolved.

Jeff

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
I am actually really worried that I'm not going to be able to get a Driver's Edition or Autobahn DSG by late February! Reasons are that I personally like the styling of the Mk6 (I hate the red stripe going through the headlights), the bugs for the Mk7 aren't worked out, It's built in Mexico (I just like how the GTI is built in Germany), and I like the Mk6 Leather seats much more than the Mk7's. Not only that, but there are great discounts for the Mk6. I'm just worried that I won't be able to find one new.. As long as it's a Drivers Edition or Autobahn with DSG and new, I'm happy. Honestly don't care about color.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I am actually really worried that I'm not going to be able to get a Driver's Edition or Autobahn DSG by late February! Reasons are that I personally like the styling of the Mk6 (I hate the red stripe going through the headlights), the bugs for the Mk7 aren't worked out, It's built in Mexico (I just like how the GTI is built in Germany), and I like the Mk6 Leather seats much more than the Mk7's. Not only that, but there are great discounts for the Mk6. I'm just worried that I won't be able to find one new.. As long as it's a Drivers Edition or Autobahn with DSG and new, I'm happy. Honestly don't care about color.

read my previous post.

Cbax38

Ready to race!
When you factor in the discounts, financing incentives, under rated hp/tq #s (can surge via stage 1) the 2013 was the clear answer for me.

Oh and the bi-xenons are amazing