GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Smartphone Thread

Soflogtimk6

Go Kart Champion
Unless you have bionic lens implants or always using a magnifying lens, your eyes can't really discern more than 330ish ppi. Beyond that, it's fluff. But I get that customization is important though.

I have an iphone 5s now but that's after being all about android for 3 years. I just like it when competition pushes innovation. I love the battery life on my current phone and that there's no video lag. The screen size really sucks though. I thought I would hate how standard the launcher/menus are, but I guess it'll do.

The Screen on the htc one is undeniably more crisp and clear than the iPhone. Not to mention another thing is the notifications window is so much better on Android.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
The Screen on the htc one is undeniably more crisp and clear than the iPhone. Not to mention another thing is the notifications window is so much better on Android.

personal preference.

One thing I hate about phone debates, so many items are just pure personal preference.

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion

The pull down notifications menu has always been a great feature of android. I don't even use it on the iPhone because it's a mess.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
personal preference.

One thing I hate about phone debates, so many items are just pure personal preference.

If you think about it, the same can be true of cars. Once you get beyond pure stats and start talking about ergonomics, looks, steering feel, ride quality, and so on, it's mostly preference.

Soflogtimk6

Go Kart Champion
personal preference.

It is way easier to swipe notifications away on Android than to hit the tiny x and clear on iPhone.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
If you think about it, the same can be true of cars. Once you get beyond pure stats and start talking about ergonomics, looks, steering feel, ride quality, and so on, it's mostly preference.

Yes and no. I think there are lot more things to consider in a car but I definitely understand where you are coming from.

It is way easier to swipe notifications away on Android than to hit the tiny x and clear on iPhone.

I don't use notifications so does it really matter what you think is easier? Also I have never had an issue hitting any button on any phone so to say its easier isn't really true.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
I haven't seem much an andorid can do that a jailbroken iphone can't. I sure there are many things but for the majority of people a jailbroken iphone will do just as much as any android

I haven't needed to do any customization on my iPhone. There's literally nothing I can think of that I say, "man, I wish I could [x]" these last couple of months. The battery life on the 5s is phenoooooooomenal every screen does what I want it do.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
I haven't needed to do any customization on my iPhone. There's literally nothing I can think of that I say, "man, I wish I could [x]" these last couple of months. The battery life on the 5s is phenoooooooomenal every screen does what I want it do.

Oh I'm actually the same way. I don't buy games or apps anymore, I really just use the phone for the internet, texting, calling and social media. Really any phone would be fine for me.

When I was younger I used to get tons of games and apps and didn't want to pay for them all so I jailbroke my phone to get all the free crap I wanted. Also back then you couldn't customize a lot of things you can now so it allowed me to do a bunch of cool stuff with the phone.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Ended up getting a repalcement HTC One. BECAUSECHEAPERTHANBUYINGNEXUS5

S-Off'd, Rooted, and good to go wtih a Google Edition ROM.

It's so suh-weet.

iPhone vs Android, I prefer the droid over the iphone, I just like googles style more. And I hate having to use the piece of shit they pass off as itunes. Constant problems through every version across every PC I've had. Multiple issues when upgrading iOS's and the resolution being "trololol go to an apple store for a fix" Well, I didn't (until like, a week ago) have apple store in my town, and the whole idea that to fix something I needed a paid "expert" to fix it was ridiculous.

If my android breaks, a quick trip to XDA and I can DIY a fix. I've never had an issue upgrading. And I don't have to use itunes! I can log into google play anywhere I have a PC with a browser and an internet connection and stream my music library.

With itunes you're locked to 1 PC right? If you try to log in from another PC it has to "wipe" that users library to be replcaed by yours? Can you stream your music from a computer WITHOUT installing itunes?

I'm not trying to stir debate and be a dick I'm literally curious. It seems to be that once Google does something that consumers like, apple usually integrates it at some point, so I'm just wondering if you can do that

^This.........all without the need of iTunes. lol

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees. iTunes is concentrated evil.

Last edited:

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Yes and no. I think there are lot more things to consider in a car but I definitely understand where you are coming from.

Fuel economy (battery life), speed (processor & wireless speeds), ergonomics, ease of use, cost, reliability, and features. :p

I'm just saying this because I seem to get bored of phones just like cars. I'm surprised I didn't get entirely bored of iOS, but I guess I just stopped using my phone for much besides calls, text, weather, and a browser.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Fuel economy (battery life), speed (processor & wireless speeds), ergonomics, ease of use, cost, reliability, and features. :p

I'm just saying this because I seem to get bored of phones just like cars. I'm surprised I didn't get entirely bored of iOS, but I guess I just stopped using my phone for much besides calls, text, weather, and a browser.

I'm the same way...I got bored with phones QUICK...working for AT&T sort of enabled that in me though lol..

Pretty much settled on keeping the HTC One for a long while though. It's the perfect phone for me...Until the HTC One 2 comes out...hah.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Ended up getting a repalcement HTC One. BECAUSECHEAPERTHANBUYINGNEXUS5

S-Off'd, Rooted, and good to go wtih a Google Edition ROM.

It's so suh-weet.

iPhone vs Android, I prefer the droid over the iphone, I just like googles style more. And I hate having to use the piece of shit they pass off as itunes. Constant problems through every version across every PC I've had. Multiple issues when upgrading iOS's and the resolution being "trololol go to an apple store for a fix" Well, I didn't (until like, a week ago) have apple store in my town, and the whole idea that to fix something I needed a paid "expert" to fix it was ridiculous.

If my android breaks, a quick trip to XDA and I can DIY a fix. I've never had an issue upgrading. And I don't have to use itunes! I can log into google play anywhere I have a PC with a browser and an internet connection and stream my music library.

With itunes you're locked to 1 PC right? If you try to log in from another PC it has to "wipe" that users library to be replcaed by yours? Can you stream your music from a computer WITHOUT installing itunes?

I'm not trying to stir debate and be a dick I'm literally curious. It seems to be that once Google does something that consumers like, apple usually integrates it at some point, so I'm just wondering if you can do that

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees. iTunes is concentrated evil.

You can actaully sign into your itunes account on any device and pull up your info. The best thing to do is just use the cloud and you can access your entire device from anywhere. I feel like if you go from droid software to apple software you are like duh fuq is this sheet and I can see how people get frustrated with it because it is so different. If you spend the time to learn the in and outs it's actually really easy... if you jailbreak your phone you can bi-pass it entirely ;)

Ya i totally agree that's why I said I see where you are coming from BUT

speed between 2 phones is milliseconds and seriously not a factor. I really could care less if you phone can pull up a webpage .1 seconds faster than mine. Hell even 1 second isn't going to be an issue. With a car on the other hand, speed can vary greatly and really influence what you buy. It could be the difference between buying a 2.5l and a GTI for example.

Fuel economy - again could be the difference between spending $100 a month on gas and $400 a month on gas. With a phone its a difference of charging phone at 8 or 8:30... either way when used in the exact same way they will die relatively close to each other.

You see where I am going with this. To be honest the difference between all these smart phones are so small that the only thing left to argue is personal preference where as with a car your variations are so much greater.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
You can actaully sign into your itunes account on any device and pull up your info. The best thing to do is just use the cloud and you can access your entire device from anywhere. I feel like if you go from droid software to apple software you are like duh fuq is this sheet and I can see how people get frustrated with it because it is so different. If you spend the time to learn the in and outs it's actually really easy... if you jailbreak your phone you can bi-pass it entirely ;)

Ya i totally agree that's why I said I see where you are coming from BUT

speed between 2 phones is milliseconds and seriously not a factor. I really could care less if you phone can pull up a webpage .1 seconds faster than mine. Hell even 1 second isn't going to be an issue. With a car on the other hand, speed can vary greatly and really influence what you buy. It could be the difference between buying a 2.5l and a GTI for example.

Fuel economy - again could be the difference between spending $100 a month on gas and $400 a month on gas. With a phone its a difference of charging phone at 8 or 8:30... either way when used in the exact same way they will die relatively close to each other.

You see where I am going with this. To be honest the difference between all these smart phones are so small that the only thing left to argue is personal preference where as with a car your variations are so much greater.

Haha..I started with iPhone first broseph. I knew the in's and out's of the iphone, apple just sucks bawls. It's not the phone itself, nor the features it lacks or doesn't lack, it's just apple. iTunes is such a controled enviroment it blocks a lot of creativity in their market place. Take patents for example. There have been some really "HOLY CHIT WE CAN DO THAT???" things that people have thought up, but they're not allowed to go to market, or even see the light of day in the eye of the public because if that technology was manfucatured and used, it could fall in the wrong hands and cause security risks to our gubment so you get a gag order put on you for X number or years, or if you're lucky you get the gag order WITH the option for the military to use your ideas and pay you a little, vs the a lot you'd have gotten if the idea had gone to market.

I just don't like that. Can you accidentally step on a land mine in the google market place? I'll answer that with another question, can you accidentaly step on a land mine when you open your email? Yes, but you can easily avoid them by taking "smart" precautions...

iTunes really just holds the entire thing back, why do I have to use itunes for everything?

You can actaully sign into your itunes account on any device and pull up your info.

You're still talking about having to log into itunes though. Say you have a song you really want to play for me on my compuer, and I don't have itunes. I'd have to download itunes to my PC so you can log into it and listen to that song right?

Or say you don't have your chit on you, and I dont have my PC, but I have my phone (an android phone) and you want to show me that song on your itunes. How would you do that? You can't log into itunes on my phone.

Tha'ts why I like google. You still get "the cloud". If I'm at your house and I want to show you a song, I just goto play.google.com/music log in, and bam you can listen to it. I can do the same thing on your iphone through your safari browser (afaik)...

I don't -HAVE- to be tied down to a computer either with Android, when a dev pushes out another ROM, or Google sends out an update, I just download it on my phone, and it either updates it self (if I'm not using custom ROM's) or I boot into recovery, flash the update, and I'm done. I don't have to go home, plug my phone, PRAY that itunes recognizes my phone, update, and then PRAY again that something didn't screw up during the update process. Now if you don't have to use your computer anymore for iOS updates, maybe that'll fix that.

I had a 3GS, then a 4, I've done many iOS updates, and almost everytime it was a chorse to work. I've even had my library accidentally deleted becuase of an update and had to search the google for a fix that could bring those files back.

Now most of that is because a large chunk of my library is illegally downloaded music, lets not get into that, just rest assured I've sustained from doing that for awhile now and I'm "legit" about how I obtain music now a days.

But there were times it'd delete all those files, and the only things I had strictly bought through itunes would be copied over.

With Google? No probs. No walled garden or controled enviroment. Shit, they let me upload my illegaly download songs to their google play cloud, so now all that crap is on my cloud. Where as with itunes, only the things I've paid them are on the cloud.

The same philosophy is bled over into the phone itself. Yeah you can jailbreak it, but I don't think you get as many "rights" or "privileges" or "system acces" w/e you want to call them as you do with a "jailbroken" android.

The phone is fine, it's the company behind the phone that I hate.

Edit: And as far as speed goes, I don't understand how shaving 1 second of a 1/4 mile time vs 1 sec on a page loading in your browser is any less signifigant. If you're willing to wait an extra second to go from A to B in a page load, which you'll be doing A LOT more of in your lifetime, then why woudln't you care to wait that extra second going down the strip or vice versa.

The good news is, even though the iPhone does usually er always has a lower clock speed than the flagship androids doesn't always mean it's slower. They focus on making the iPhone effecient rather than just saying "Ah man, drop in a bigger engine and this thing will FLY!" they say "Hey, if we tweak the suspension, and change up the gear ratios a tad, this thing will FLY!" It's all about how you spend your resources. That's why Samsung usually has a lot of (useless in my opinion) additional features that iPhone doesn't. They spend their R&D money on coming up with your phone auto pausing the video you're playing if you're not looking at it, not on how to make the software more effecient so they can run a lower clocked processor.

Same with Motorola. Those guys have done some incredible things that aren't useless IMO in their Moto X

Last edited: