GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driving impressions of new 1.8tsi

GOBbluth

Ready to race!
I have a 2012 gti and dropped it off at the dealer for a cel and some shaking under acceleration. Luckily, my dealer provides loaners and they gave me a shiny 2014 Wolfsburg passat in a cool dark grey paint job with 800 miles on the odometer.

I was a lil disappointed because I'm just not a fan of the 2.5, but then saw the tsi badge...as I understand it the 2014 passat is the only vw using the new 1.8t that is currently available in the USA?

Around town, it is surprisingly torquey. It really accelerated almost like my gti. No turbo lag at all and very impressive around town. Vw projects the 6 speed manual to reach 60 in mid 6 seconds, pretty good for entry level engine.

In the highway, you are quickly reminded that it is not the 2.0turbo. 55-80 and it's just nothing to write home about.

The bad: I believe it is the same 6 speed auto in my loaner as last years passat, but it's just quirky with the new engine. Frequently lost and unsure of what gear it should be in. Maybe just this car, but definitely an issue. And the problems occur in drive, not on spirited sport mode driving.

Bottom line: it's a great engine and far superior to the clunky 2.5 (just my limited experience, sorry 2.5 golf ppl). If it behaves like this on the large passat, I think new jetta and golf owners will be pleased. It provides the same hp as the 2.5 but a bit more lb/feet of torque. More importantly, the turbo makes te power available way sooner. If it's as reliable as the 2.5, vw made the right call.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I've never been terribly disappointed with VW's 6-speed auto, for a slushbox it isn't bad.

It's no DSG, though. And it's no 8-speed ZF either.

Nice to hear that the 1.8T in the Passat isn't bad, though. I've driven a fair number of 2.5 Passats and I can't stand that particular drivetrain/car pairing.

GOBbluth

Ready to race!
I've never been terribly disappointed with VW's 6-speed auto, for a slushbox it isn't bad.

It's no DSG, though. And it's no 8-speed ZF either.

Nice to hear that the 1.8T in the Passat isn't bad, though. I've driven a fair number of 2.5 Passats and I can't stand that particular drivetrain/car pairing.

Same. I've only driven the 2.5 in the passat and not a fan.

Weird quirk, don't know if it's new, but all doors, including rear, have a central lock unlock button that works for all doors.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
You haters of the 2.5! I drove a rental Passat 2.5 and it's what got me into VW! lol. It had really good power, especially for highway driving with exceptional gas mileage that it impressed me all to hell. Impressed me enough to get my a$$ into a GTI! lol

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
the 2.5 in the golf and rabbit is great because it is a smaller lighter car than a jetta/passat depending how loaded it is. Just my 2 cents. Can't wait for the new 18 though seems promising at the golf it is supposedly going to have dsg and 6 speed manual available on the mk7 golf. Looking at apr's website stage one on the 2014 jetta 1.8 is pretty damn good.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
MY14 Jetta's also have the 1.8T so it's not just the Passat. I'd like to drive the Jetta with it given it's 300lbs less than the Passat.

I'm not a fan of the way the 2.5L in the drove Passat. It was better in the Golf/Jetta but DBESTGTI has said many times the engine is pretty darn reliable so that adds a lot of credibility to the engine.

IMO, 170hp is weak in the marketplace. I imagine a sedan like the Passat with people and luggage with 170hp and I'd be left wanting the 6cyl.

A mid-6 to 60 time seems a bit aggressive. C&D rated it at 7.5 to 60.

GOBbluth

Ready to race!
MY14 Jetta's also have the 1.8T so it's not just the Passat. I'd like to drive the Jetta with it given it's 300lbs less than the Passat.

I'm not a fan of the way the 2.5L in the drove Passat. It was better in the Golf/Jetta but DBESTGTI has said many times the engine is pretty darn reliable so that adds a lot of credibility to the engine.

IMO, 170hp is weak in the marketplace. I imagine a sedan like the Passat with people and luggage with 170hp and I'd be left wanting the 6cyl.

A mid-6 to 60 time seems a bit aggressive. C&D rated it at 7.5 to 60.

For the automatic, I'm 60% sure I read 6.5 or a bit higher for manual in the base model.

McQueen77

Banned
I have a 2012 gti and dropped it off at the dealer for a cel and some shaking under acceleration. Luckily, my dealer provides loaners and they gave me a shiny 2014 Wolfsburg passat in a cool dark grey paint job with 800 miles on the odometer.

I was a lil disappointed because I'm just not a fan of the 2.5, but then saw the tsi badge...as I understand it the 2014 passat is the only vw using the new 1.8t that is currently available in the USA?

Around town, it is surprisingly torquey. It really accelerated almost like my gti. No turbo lag at all and very impressive around town. Vw projects the 6 speed manual to reach 60 in mid 6 seconds, pretty good for entry level engine.

In the highway, you are quickly reminded that it is not the 2.0turbo. 55-80 and it's just nothing to write home about.

The bad: I believe it is the same 6 speed auto in my loaner as last years passat, but it's just quirky with the new engine. Frequently lost and unsure of what gear it should be in. Maybe just this car, but definitely an issue. And the problems occur in drive, not on spirited sport mode driving.

Bottom line: it's a great engine and far superior to the clunky 2.5 (just my limited experience, sorry 2.5 golf ppl). If it behaves like this on the large passat, I think new jetta and golf owners will be pleased. It provides the same hp as the 2.5 but a bit more lb/feet of torque. More importantly, the turbo makes te power available way sooner. If it's as reliable as the 2.5, vw made the right call.

Good review. I test drove the jetta with the 1.8 and was pretty unimpressed. The slushbox is the same as the one in my wife's Tiguan which is not a good pairing with either the 1.8 or 2.0tsi. And yes it's always in the wrong gear

GOBbluth

Ready to race!
Just took it out for a night spin. I really think this engine is underrated. I've driven my fair share of entry level family sedans...4cyl accord, Camry, fusion, and this is the most fun to drive out of this not very fun group.

Handling sucks compared to gti and slippery pleather seats with NO side support.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
I was really impressed with the 1.8 TSI also. I sort of wish I waited for the MK7 Golf with that engine.

GOBbluth

Ready to race!
Well, went back to dealer to have the work done and I was loaned a 2014 jetta with the same 1.8 turbo engine.

And it's an even better experience. The 300 lbs and smaller body make for a pretty peppy car.

This is a great standard engine. And transmission works much better with this jetta than it did in passat. But again that may have been the particular car.

GOBbluth

Ready to race!
Also, a 23 k jetta SE gets keyless start and my 28k gti does not? Technology must have really dropped in price in two years.